Paul, camera and turtle in news.

The story of Paul, the lost camera and the turtle have made it to our news here in Western Australia :)

I hope this link works.... :D...forgot to mention, this is on Fox news.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/lost-camera-hitches-1770km-ride-on-sea-turtles-back/story-e6frfq80-1225877746510?from=news+newsletter_rss

Thanks for posting this story! It's a great one....unbelievable!

You are very welcome :)

It is also in the Adelaide news so it must be Australia wide...oh, along with the video :)

I thought it was a lovely story...well done again Paul!

The story of Paul, the lost camera and the turtle have made it to our news here in Western Australia :)

I hope this link works.... :D...forgot to mention, this is on Fox news.

Thank you for that link, Tanderra. Although, that article makes me wonder what's being reported in the other countries. The basic story is correct, but the details are all wrong in that article.

The turtle only fussed with this camera for 5 minutes out of the 6 month journey. And I have to give credit where credit is due. It was Scubaboard.com that helped me solve most of the picture details, and it was Cruise Critic that led me to the Aruba board where someone knew the owner. The You Tube video really had nothing to do with finding the owner.

Hi again Paul...and Paul :)

Something wrong with the Adelaide site so couldn't post the link so I copied and pasted it. Same newspaper owner so story pretty much the same.

So looking forward to seeing pics of you with the owner when you meet him :)

Last updated: June 10, 2010

Adelaide 9°C - 15°C . A few showers.

Happy-snapper turtle makes holiday video

Increase Text Size

Decrease Text Size

Print

Email

A PHOTOGRAPHER was reunited with a camera he had lost in the Caribbean after a sea turtle swam all the way to Florida with it.

De Telegraaf said the camera's strap caught on the reptile's shell after Dutchman Dick de Bruin dropped it in the sea during a trip to Aruba last November.

In its efforts to free itself, the turtle accidentally switched the waterproof device on and filmed part of its 1770km journey.

The camera washed up six months later in Key West, Florida, where it was spotted by Paul Shultz, an investigator with the US Coast Guard.

Mr Shultz charged up the battery and found a series of photos capturing various Aruban landmarks.

He posted the footage on YouTube along with a brief note about its contents in a bid to trace its owner, De Telegraaf said.

See the YouTube video here

"I'm still amazed it floated all the way to Key West. I will be shipping it Fed-Ex to you tomorrow'" an excited Mr Shultz replied.

Experts say the camera may have floated part of the way before become entangled in the turtle.

Aruba is one of the Lesser Antilles in the southern Caribbean Sea, located around 24km off the coast of Venezuela.

The 38km-long island forms part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

1 comment on this story

Just like the telephone game, I've found the further a reporting source gets away from the actual events, the more the story twists.

That is exactly why, in my professional career, I never speak to the media. Details are a big deal in law enforcement matters.

It isn't a big deal in this case, though. I'm amazed this has been reported all over the world, but I have yet to see it in any local papers. Plus, it's kinda cool to imagine a camera riding 1100 miles on a turtle's back, although it probably only went a few feet. ;)

Thank you for that link, Tanderra. Although, that article makes me wonder what's being reported in the other countries. The basic story is correct, but the details are all wrong in that article.

The turtle only fussed with this camera for 5 minutes out of the 6 month journey. And I have to give credit where credit is due. It was Scubaboard.com that helped me solve most of the picture details, and it was Cruise Critic that led me to the Aruba board where someone knew the owner. The You Tube video really had nothing to do with finding the owner.

Really the only thing the story is missing is how the turtle handed the camera to you and told you who the owner was. Can't believe they left that part out.

The story is sensational just the way it happened..why do reporters have to embelish things?

Sometimes I wonder if they really gather facts before they print things.:rolleyes:

Ever play that game "Pass it On":D I once saw a interview with a CNN executive who in answer to the question "Where do you come up with this stuff?" said "News is a commodaty, when you need circulation, you have to embellish. Some times we just make it up...it sells" He was being questioned about a totally bogus report about Afghanistan. That's why we never watch that station any more.

I'm pretty sure somewhere in the first day of most journalism courses they have a slide titled, "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story". It is amazing how twisted the real facts and the news "facts" can be. As a retired law enforcement officer I completely understand Pauls aversion to all things reporter. They can be career killers. Again Paul fanatstic story, the real one:D, and great job. Take care, Jim

Ever play that game "Pass it On":D I once saw a interview with a CNN executive who in answer to the question "Where do you come up with this stuff?" said "News is a commodaty, when you need circulation, you have to embellish. Some times we just make it up...it sells" He was being questioned about a totally bogus report about Afghanistan. That's why we never watch that station any more.

I guess you are correct. I remember the NYT reporter who made up stories..got caught and fired after that.:eek:

Guess most of our "news" is really just creative writing at its worst.:(

Just like the telephone game, I've found the further a reporting source gets away from the actual events, the more the story twists.

That is exactly why, in my professional career, I never speak to the media. Details are a big deal in law enforcement matters.

It isn't a big deal in this case, though. I'm amazed this has been reported all over the world, but I have yet to see it in any local papers. Plus, it's kinda cool to imagine a camera riding 1100 miles on a turtle's back, although it probably only went a few feet. ;)

ROFL..telephone game....sounds like CC!!! :D

I have to agree about the story being a bit off the track.

But it was Paul and his endless effort to find the camers owner.

Its like reading a great book, that book gets turned into a movie, you go see it and its nothing like the book!

It was on the "front page" of AOL today. :)

Archived