Breakfast in the Pinnacle

Crazy Gramps

This thread is downright depressing to read. The complete lack of respect displayed for the opinions and concerns of others, as well as the repetitive belittling of individuals by a few who disagree with those posters, is equally disturbing.

It was always a nice perk, but in our experience the Pinnacle Breakfast was VERY underutilized.

There was a few mornings we were the only guests in the PG.

After that, we went to the MDR for breakfast. At least there were other guests to mingle with.

The lack of a few days of breakfast in the Pinnacle isn't going to ruin our cruise. Having said that, we thoroughly enjoy the calmness of PG and starting our day peacefully. The Neptune is fine, but we like a hot breakfast. Forget the Lido -- not my cup of tea. So the other options are the dining room or room service.

It has however, been "past practice" and many have come to expect it, if they are going to change the venue or eliminate it, it seems fair to inform those guests of that change.

"Practice" is really not the same as "promise". People wrote that Pinnacle Grill was "promised". It's simply not.

Maybe what happened is that people came to expect the PG because that is what was offered, but on the HAL website it says absolutely nothing about it. I really doubt that a few pages of hysteria on CC prompted HAL to change their website over the weekend.

As I have been reading all the posts I got to thinking. We are all worried about not getting to use the PG, me included made some comments, and not one thought for all of those that are suffering from the oil spill. Their fishing boats can not be used, oil on the beaches, those poor water creatures, etc., etc.:o We are blessed to beable to cruise. I guess 2 days are really not that much of a hardship. Just a thought and I'll leave it at that. My prayers are with all of those people and animals.

I don't agree. When I write "in the scheme of things" and the like, that's exactly what I'm referring to. I was hinting at the fact this is small potatoes compared to the real problems in our world.

And it is exactly why I have reacted as I have. Otherwise, I'd let it pass.

This thread is downright depressing to read. The complete lack of respect displayed for the opinions and concerns of others, as well as the repetitive belittling of individuals by a few who disagree with those posters, is equally disturbing.

Really? I haven't noticed an ounce of lack of respect. This is one of the more civilized discussions I've seen on CC over the years.

Did you detect outrage? Absolutely. No one has been belittled and those who are upset about their breakfast in the Pinnacle being taken away (a perk it now turns out was just an extra and not promised at all) are very capable of holding their own in a discussion like this.

I have argued my point in a most respectful manner because to do otherwise would only have my post removed and what does that achieve?

"Practice" is really not the same as "promise". People wrote that Pinnacle Grill was "promised". It's simply not.

Maybe what happened is that people came to expect the PG because that is what was offered, but on the HAL website it says absolutely nothing about it. I really doubt that a few pages of hysteria on CC prompted HAL to change their website over the weekend.

I don't agree. When I write "in the scheme of things" and the like, that's exactly what I'm referring to. I was hinting at the fact this is small potatoes compared to the real problems in our world.

And it is exactly why I have reacted as I have. Otherwise, I'd let it pass.

Sorry I intruded into your world and way of thinking, will not happen again. The post was only my opinion.

Previously on this thread people have mentioned the breakfast for suite passengers having been offered in venues other than the Pinnacle Grill. The wording on HAL's web site ("Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only") allows HAL to provide a location as needed without having to name all of the possibilities. We've traveled in a suite only once, but we very much enjoyed our breakfasts in the PG. The availability of such was mentioned in the welcome letter in our stateroom, so it was very much promised. The fact that suite passengers know they can arrive at the PG and get breakfast means the information has been communicated somehow--you don't think they're just guessing, do you? :confused:

Also, I'm still failing to see what the four or five PG folks offer to the Lido staff/service that does such a great job of preventing Noro. All that's happening is the suite passengers are moving to other dining locations on the ship, which of course increases the load in those other places.

Finally, I don't think that suite passengers' asking for an amenity they have paid for means they are endangering the health and safety of everyone on the ship. That's hyperbole.

Something is very wrong here. Anyone who's read posts by me in this forum knows that I am generally the last person to cheer HAL, stand up for them, route for them. If anything, I've often been critical of HAL. I've always believed I'm fair.

But this was just wrong. The entire thread was outrage over the fact that suite passengers weren't getting breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill ... something they believed they were promised in writing when they booked.

Many posters on this thread (not just me) just didn't understand why they wouldn't give HAL some leeway when they were obviously just trying to curb Noro amongst ALL passengers. To do so they moved staff from the PG to the Lido. And outrage at this catastrophe broke out on this thread.

So now, after all the fuss over this, we find that the PG was never promised, just an "exclusive daily breakfast service" (whatever that is). So HAL did not let these folks down, there is no reason for disappointment, no reason for outrage. Sometimes you can dine in PG, sometimes not. But one way or the other, you will eat. So far, they haven't taken the food away:).

Heather no, suite guests are promised an 'exclusive' breakfast. Exclusive is a very special word. I won't quote the dictionary to you. However, to be clear, when I got my first suite, I asked and it was described to me perfectly.

I already said I would not mind the MDR with small tables and good service but I will not speak for other posters. Nevertheless, it wasn't offered.

Again, for me if I knew in advance it wasn't the end of the world, but for others it is. and that's the bottom line. So, each to their own, you have your opinion and others have theirs. so let them have theirs too please

Just for information; Suite guests on the Amsterdam "Grand" cruises eat breakfast in the main dining room but the waiters ARE Pinnacle waiters. We've been on BOTH the right side of the dining room and on another cruise -the LEFT side. Bringing non-suite guests to dine with you is frowned on, although we've done it with permission. To us it is nice to have the service of the same waiters; on our last cruise two were exceptionally dear to us! both Indonesian women we loved dearly!

Also, I'm still failing to see what the four or five PG folks offer to the Lido staff/service that does such a great job of preventing Noro. All that's happening is the suite passengers are moving to other dining locations on the ship, which of course increases the load in those other places.

What they offer to the Lido is manpower, extra hands, that's all (could be girlpower also, since HAL has started using nice Indonesian female folk in the PG)

The Lido Restaurant is no longer "self-service" for the first 48 hrs on any HAL ship, on any cruise:cool:

This is a new anti-Noro-virus precaution HAL is trying out, hopefully with success:)

In order to do that (no self service for 48 hrs) the Lido requires extra staff beyond their normal alloted totals. If there's no added staff, the lines will no doubt be longer, resulting in crying and pee'd off guests:(

HAL has seen fit to, according to a HM who was asked, utilize the wait staff from the Pinnacle to augment the Lido staff for breakfast service during those 48 hrs - two days:cool:

No staff in the PG = No breakfast in that location for suite guests for two days:eek:

Btw, no PG wait staff = No "exclusive daily breakfast service" anywhere else:eek:, i.e. in the Kings Room, lifeboat station number 8, the port-side bridge wing

Okidoki?

...clip...

How well I understand. I used to work for a company that had a "full employment policy". Later, it was restated as a "full employment practice".

Then after that the layoffs ("downsizing" or "rightsizing") began.

Why do I not see threads regarding the norovirus problem on other cruisethreads? Am I just not looking in the right place or do they not have a problem with norovirus? Maybe they are better at hiding the problem or possibly guests just don't know about it? :S

Why do I not see threads regarding the norovirus problem on other cruisethreads? Am I just not looking in the right place or do they not have a problem with norovirus? Maybe they are better at hiding the problem or possibly guests just don't know about it? :S

There were extensive discussions of norovirus on the Celebrity threads (and many others as well) in March and April, after increasing numbers of passengers aboard consecutive sailings of the Mercury were stricken with norovirus.

Personally I can't see what all the fuss is about - we had breakfast in the Pinnacle while cruising on Zuiderdam last year and it was appalling - service was almost non- existant - our order was never delivered in correct order etc etc. We were very disappointed with this as very much enjoyed eating there at night - it was just for some reason breakfast was a different thing altogether.

It was actually following the Norovirus outbreak on the Celebrity Mercury that this policy was implemented on HAL.

I applaud HAL for trying to "nip" the problem in the bud (so to speak) rather than locking the barn door after the horse has escaped.

Since there's no feasible way to stop sick people from getting on the ship, HAL became proactive and instituted this new procedure. It wasn't fun the first couple of days, but better than Noro.

And from what we hear it seems to be working pretty well!:)

Yes, the Suite pax are paying more for the opportunity to have breakfast in Pinnacle Grill. The higher fare for suite accomodations include certain features and that is one of them.

Where is this advertised..I have a few brochures from years past & can't find the Pinnacle grill breakfast for suite passengers, mentioned any place?

Something is very wrong here. Anyone who's read posts by me in this forum knows that I am generally the last person to cheer HAL, stand up for them, route for them. If anything, I've often been critical of HAL. I've always believed I'm fair.

But this was just wrong. The entire thread was outrage over the fact that suite passengers weren't getting breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill ... something they believed they were promised in writing when they booked.

Many posters on this thread (not just me) just didn't understand why they wouldn't give HAL some leeway when they were obviously just trying to curb Noro amongst ALL passengers. To do so they moved staff from the PG to the Lido. And outrage at this catastrophe broke out on this thread.

So now, after all the fuss over this, we find that the PG was never promised, just an "exclusive daily breakfast service" (whatever that is). So HAL did not let these folks down, there is no reason for disappointment, no reason for outrage. Sometimes you can dine in PG, sometimes not. But one way or the other, you will eat. So far, they haven't taken the food away:).

It was actually following the Norovirus outbreak on the Celebrity Mercury that this policy was implemented on HAL.

I applaud HAL for trying to "nip" the problem in the bud (so to speak) rather than locking the barn door after the horse has escaped.

Since there's no feasible way to stop sick people from getting on the ship, HAL became proactive and instituted this new procedure. It wasn't fun the first couple of days, but better than Noro.

And from what we hear it seems to be working pretty well!:)

Heather I agree with you & John & others who believe that not having breakfast in the Pinnacle for thee days is no big deal & is actually a good idea to help to protect other Passengers!

I can't believe the number of pages & the bashing of HAL that has gone on in this multi-page thread! :(

If you all so unhappy with not getting what you seem to think you paid for, why not e-mail HAL or write a letter to them about your concerns & why are you still sailing & booking on HAL?

Cheers....:)Betty

If you all so unhappy with not getting what you seem to think you paid for, why not e-mail HAL or write a letter to them about your concerns & why are you still sailing & booking on HAL?

And why are they not saying anything to the appropriate officers while on board if they are so upset. Why only rant here about it?

?

Room service breakfast does not taste the same if you are ordering eggs. No one's fault, takes time to deliver.

Just my two cents worth. Jacqui

I agree. On our last cruise the end of Jan. our breakfast was cold most of the time. I complained to room service, did no good, toast and eggs were still cold .:( We are not early risers so we don't normally do the PG. We are in a suite but prefer room service. On our next cruise this might change so we can have warm food at least the last part of the cruise. We don't eat sweet rolls, etc. that the Neptune serves since we are both diabetic. Oh well things could be worse. We also save up for a year in advance so we can book a suite, just our choice.;)

Personally I can't see what all the fuss is about - we had breakfast in the Pinnacle while cruising on Zuiderdam last year and it was appalling - service was almost non- existant - our order was never delivered in correct order etc etc. We were very disappointed with this as very much enjoyed eating there at night - it was just for some reason breakfast was a different thing altogether.

Gosh, that sounds exactly like my breakfast experience(s) in the MDR of any HAL ship on which I have cruised!:mad:

What they offer to the Lido is manpower, extra hands, that's all (could be girlpower also, since HAL has started using nice Indonesian female folk in the PG)

The Lido Restaurant is no longer "self-service" for the first 48 hrs on any HAL ship, on any cruise:cool:

This is a new anti-Noro-virus precaution HAL is trying out, hopefully with success:)

HAL has seen fit to, according to a HM who was asked, utilize the wait staff from the Pinnacle to augment the Lido staff for breakfast service during those 48 hrs - two days

No staff in the PG = No breakfast in that location for suite guests for two days:eek:

Okidoki?

just 1 question: how come PG isn't closed for lunch:confused:

maybe Noro doesn't do lunch .. only breakfasts:D

let's not even get to the issue of dinner

ok: lido doesn't have as many Pax as the MDR for dinner .. but the MDR doesn't need the same number of stewards for breakfast as it does for dinner

the answer to this entire problem is so easy

have hunky dory hand out surgical gloves at the beginning of the line .. since trays are gone, that would give hunky dory his chance to "shine", collect tips at the end of the voyage and at the same time make everyone happy

and PG could be open for breakfast

and I'm not even a Hotel Manager:eek:

maybe it's because the smoking policy is so liberal on HAL:eek::eek:

Archived