"Pre-Reclined" Seats

NHBob

From an article in the June issue of AARP Bulletin:

Spirit Airlines is the latest airline to join the trend of "pre-reclined" non-adjustable seats aboard its aircraft. Allegiant Airlines and Air France already are using the stationary seats. Although touted as lighter, fuel-saving wonders, the seats could prove troublesome for fliers, especially those with back problems. "Passengers over 50 may have less core body strength that allows the body to flex forward at the waist. This will make it more difficult for seniors to rise from the seat at the end of the flight or to get about the cabin," says Robert a Hayden, spokesman for the American Chiropractic Association.

Has anybody experienced these seats yet, and if so, what do you think?

I have not experienced these seats and I will make quite sure I continue not to experience them; I will avoid flying on planes with them. I usually do not recline my seat at all, I find it physiologically a better position sitting upright, with a pillow for lumbar support, rather than semi-slumped back. Airlines, please take note!

There are a lot of new, different concepts of seating out there. Let's deal with Spirit first.

The seat is the Brice B3100...info can be found HERE. The term "pre-reclined" is wrong, as the seat doesn't recline at all, and as you can see, is pretty straightbacked. Especially look at the PDF spec sheet available on that page. They have shortened the armrests and made it in a cushionless design. Spirit is putting them in at 28" pitch, but the thinness of the seats supposedly gives as much room as 30" in a traditional design. HA!!

AF has a seat where the seatback is fixed, but the seat cushion slides forward, allowing a form of recline without a moving seatback. IIRC, DL may be using some seats with a combination of seatback recline and cushion movement to improve the perception of more space.

I think the writer for AARP went a bit over the top on this.

Archived