Navigator vs. Freedom

I'm looking at planning my "finally finished my PhD" cruise for January, and I think I've narrowed it down to the Allure (just did Oasis and really liked it), or Navigator or Freedom. After Oasis, we want a large ship with lots of options for dining and bars and pools. We're not really show people--don't care about the ice show or the productions or anything. We would get a cabin with a balcony, probably not eat in the MDR at all, and just relax.

We've been on Liberty but never on Voyager class. The cruises would be the same itinerary--no interest in Falmouth, but that's ok--so that doesn't matter.

Also, we enjoy the convenience of FLL to the pier, but hate the airport. I've never cruised out of the Port Canaveral, so would also take that into consideration. We're looking for as easy a trip as possible! :)

I know we'd enjoy both, so any help would be great.

Thanks!

The Voyager class ships are so similar to the Freedom class...but nowhere near as large as Oasis! There won't be quite as many dining options as Oasis, either....

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll have fun!

Do you like the Flowrider? If so, go with the Freedom. I just got off the Navigator and it's a great ship so if the Flowrider isn't a major draw, you'll have nearly the same restaurant options on the Navigator. I love the Voyager class. We've been on all 5 and Navigator and Mariner are our favorites. I still don't think I have any interest in the Oasis or Allure because I almost thought the Freedom class was too big.

I'm looking at planning my "finally finished my PhD" cruise for January, and I think I've narrowed it down to the Allure (just did Oasis and really liked it), or Navigator or Freedom. After Oasis, we want a large ship with lots of options for dining and bars and pools. We're not really show people--don't care about the ice show or the productions or anything. We would get a cabin with a balcony, probably not eat in the MDR at all, and just relax.

We've been on Liberty but never on Voyager class. The cruises would be the same itinerary--no interest in Falmouth, but that's ok--so that doesn't matter.

Also, we enjoy the convenience of FLL to the pier, but hate the airport. I've never cruised out of the Port Canaveral, so would also take that into consideration. We're looking for as easy a trip as possible! :)

Thanks!

I have reviews on both of these ships on my Cruise Review page (see URL below) if you want some more details on the ships.

Basically, the Freedom class ships are "stretch limo" versions of the Voyager class ships. Freedom class has the Flowrider, the H2O zone, the Cantilevered hot tubs and a slightly larger Royal Promenade with some interesting additional venues. Otherwise, it's very similar to Navigator.

Oasis (which you just experienced) and Allure are in a spectacular class unto themselves.

It is interesting to note that although Navigator is a "Voyager" class ship, she (and Mariner) have Chops Grille (not on Voyager, Explorer or Adventure). They also have prettier glass balcony siding whereas the older Voyager class ships have their balconies cut into the hull metal. Navigator and Mariner are my favorite of the Voyager class ships.

From what you said, I'd probably lean to the Freedom... she'll be closer to Oasis in size and amenities. Leaving from Port Canaveral is fun, too. (assuming she is still there, right?)

Cheers,

Paul

ps- Congrats on the PhD!!!

By the way, your story on the other thread was the funniest so far ...

and did you look at your NOS options for cruises ... there is only 1 7 day cruise schedules for this ship in JAN11. It leaves Jan 3:

you could take a B2B = 9 days 4/5 day cruises both to Western C ... but not doubling ports ... for about $1200 /pp

I don't think DPing from PC will be as easy as DPing from FLL. (unless you were driving in from the north ... it's a 3 hour drive farther south.)

Thanks!

mmmm

Thanks everyone! I read up on PC a bit and it seems to be quite a trip from the airport to the pier. I don't know if that should be a determining factor, but for BF it might be. ;) These are great things to think about. Now, if I could spend this much time working on my dissertation, it might really happen! :D Thanks!

I have been on both Voyager and Freedom class ships and personally prefer the Freedom class.

One of the reasons is the Freedom class does not appear to be as congested people wise as the Voyager class ships. Yes the F class sq ft per person is about the same but it just does not feel as tight as V class.

The other reason is the seperation of Sorrentos and the Cafe Promenade. The V class does not have a Sorrentos but serves the pizza in the Cafe Promenade with the location being at the end of the promenade. This area many times on our cruises have been overwhelmed with passengers. The seperation of them on the F class is a definite plus in my book.

Tim

Archived