Space-saving, multi-use packing tips

NHsnowpup

OK, we are newbies on our first Alaska land tour followed by cruise, 14 days. I've looked at everyone's packing lists and OMG!:eek: Thank you, but. . .We are not planning on checking bags, so space is a premium. One 22" rolly and one backpack each. Photogear, raingear. and layers are my priorities in that order. From my research, these are some of the best ideas I have had/found so far-- Please join us, add and comment. Thanks, this site ROCKS!!

--Collapsible hiking staff/monopod

--Netbook replaced clunker laptop; all travel info. stored

--Folded heavy duty plastic (WWF) shopping bag lines bottom of backpack for sitting on ground, protecting contents, picnic cloth, wet clothes, and--shopping:) and chamois type travel towel in backpack

--Video camera back-up battery came with charger unit that plugs directly into outlet, no long cords and boxy transformer

--Bungee cord with carabiner on both ends holds coat and backpack on handle of rolly carry-on, adjustable by tying loop knot

--Straps for camera and binoculars buckle directly onto backpack, interchange; always ready & no luggage space used.

--Pocket laundry wash, 50 "leaves" size of floss case, handwash and machine, no drip/leak

--Dressy sandals that are comfy and sturdy: everywhere you want to be

--Quick dry Tank tops with shelf bra for swimsuit top, first layer--no buckles/hooks/pinch, easy layer change in public

--Watershoe sneakers: pack light, kayaking, puddle hopping/light hiking, crush flat to "spoon" in luggage

Please share some of your best tips for space-saving, multi-use packing. Enjoy your trip! We will.

I've never been happy with those over priced soap leaves. I buy a big bar of ZOTE and slice off a couple chunks for doing travel washing.

I always have a trash bag (bin liner) in my backpack for use to cover whatever if it rains. I can make a cover for me out of it if I need to.

My luxury items when planning to do a lot of walking are plenty of socks.

I don't travel with jeans, but with pants made by ExOfficio that are light in weight and dry quickly. I have one pair of really nice wool pants made by IceBreaker. Never been cold when wearing them. They hand wash and dry quickly.

I use SAS brand walking shoes with non-slip soles for walking and hiking. I have one pair of loafers for dress up and one pair of shower shoes.

I don't use long underwear, but I was born in the far north.

My camera gear is a whole other subject.

I use an iPad for computer needs, storing photos and keeping track of all my paperwork and tickets. Backups of the paper kind, just in case.

OK, we are newbies on our first Alaska land tour followed by cruise, 14 days. I've looked at everyone's packing lists and OMG!:eek: Thank you, but. . .We are not planning on checking bags, so space is a premium. One 22" rolly and one backpack each. Photogear, raingear. and layers are my priorities in that order. From my research, these are some of the best ideas I have had/found so far-- Please join us, add and comment. Thanks, this site ROCKS!!

--Collapsible hiking staff/monopod

--Netbook replaced clunker laptop; all travel info. stored

--Folded heavy duty plastic (WWF) shopping bag lines bottom of backpack for sitting on ground, protecting contents, picnic cloth, wet clothes, and--shopping:) and chamois type travel towel in backpack

--Video camera back-up battery came with charger unit that plugs directly into outlet, no long cords and boxy transformer

--Bungee cord with carabiner on both ends holds coat and backpack on handle of rolly carry-on, adjustable by tying loop knot

--Straps for camera and binoculars buckle directly onto backpack, interchange; always ready & no luggage space used.

--Pocket laundry wash, 50 "leaves" size of floss case, handwash and machine, no drip/leak

--Dressy sandals that are comfy and sturdy: everywhere you want to be

--Quick dry Tank tops with shelf bra for swimsuit top, first layer--no buckles/hooks/pinch, easy layer change in public

--Watershoe sneakers: pack light, kayaking, puddle hopping/light hiking, crush flat to "spoon" in luggage

Please share some of your best tips for space-saving, multi-use packing. Enjoy your trip! We will.

I would add to your list rain covers for your camera & lenses as if you are cruising to SE Alaska there is a 50/50 shot it will rain each & everyday you are there even if it's for an hour or two.

I wish I could take my tripod but I think I'll take just the monopod & maybe a gorillapod?

Also don't forget stocking cap & gloves if you are doing a glacier tour.

Oh and I'm bringing two boxes of disposable lens cleaning wipes not just for my glasses but for my lenses as I've had too many bottles of liquid lens cleaner open up in my camera bag. If I think of more I'll add it later :)

Good suggestions-have fun in Alaska :)

I would add to your list rain covers for your camera & lenses as if you are cruising to SE Alaska there is a 50/50 shot it will rain each & everyday you are there even if it's for an hour or two.

I wish I could take my tripod but I think I'll take just the monopod & maybe a gorillapod?

Also don't forget stocking cap & gloves if you are doing a glacier tour.

Oh and I'm bringing two boxes of disposable lens cleaning wipes not just for my glasses but for my lenses as I've had too many bottles of liquid lens cleaner open up in my camera bag. If I think of more I'll add it later :)

Good suggestions-have fun in Alaska :)

--Got the raincovers, and they take up little room. Using a cylinder-shaped neoprene pencil case from Staples for my big lens case--shock & water resistant with a heavy duty zipper and room for spare battery at end, hanging loop biners onto backpack and fits in second water bottle mesh pocket. Handy.

--Gorilla pod has been in, and out, and in, and. . .

--Headband (never wear hat even in winter) and super low volume mittens with zip open for working controls/airing out, always in backpack with bug net/spray/wetones/TP anyway. It was 48 here the other night walking the dogs.:eek:

--Lens wipes packets, AH yes, :Dthanks--DH has drawers of those around

--Have fun, yep! on the list.

my friend said don't pack a sweatshirt because you will want to buy one in Alaska as a souvnier!

We are only packing 1 cotton T-shirt each, for that very reason, plus a few poly's.

--Also, taking a "least favorite" hat that we pitch as soon as we find THE ONE. We like to browse and didn't want to panic buy in Fairbanks knowing we will need one in Denali. But then we look like the tourists we are, wearing the Alaska stuff, rather than advertising our own mini-heaven NH, Cannon Mt., Pats,:rolleyes: Hmmmm Tough choice.

Ro-- whadda you teach? I've escaped SPED & moved to library, took 20 yrs., but I love it.

Many travel places sell a little plastic container of soap that has been pressed out into small sheets. I don't like them.

For an emergency camera cover, a shower cap and or a Zip-Loc bag can work for you.

Be very, very careful of lens cleaning sheets in Alaska when you are in a dusty situation as on the Denali buses. You can ruin the coatings on your lenses by scratching them very badly.

Do you try to hang the binoculars and camera outside the backpack? I would worry it may become the target for thieves.

This year we were gone for 16 days and decided to ditch the multiple pairs of undies to cut down on bulk. Did a dry run with the disposal undies --- No thank you! We bought a couple pairs each of "Exofficio" hand washable/quick drying underwear and they worked great. I bought the first pair at a REI store tried them out and then bought the additional pairs online for a much cheaper price.

For wind and rain, we have wind pants and jacket that fold up into nice little pouches that can go into the backpack so we are always ready for anything --works great.

---Bungee cord with carabiner on both ends holds coat and backpack on handle of rolly carry-on, adjustable by tying loop knot

We just lay the coat across the top of the rolly and then slip backpack or shoulder bag over the handle so that it rides along on the back of the rolly. It holds the coat in place very nicely. Much easier not needing to mess with a bungee cord, especially on airplanes.

Gloves go in the coat pockets and we leave hood attached, tucked underneath. If space is an issue, can also tuck a sweater or sweatshirt or light jacket inside, adding an extra layer of lining to the coat.

Can wear a photographer's vest for all the extra pockets it provides. Holds lots of small items. Just slip it off and place in bin at airport security.

On occasion have used the ship's body wash or shampoo for hand laundry items. More lather than wanted, but it rinses out nicely in the shower.

Big plastic bag that lines rolly can quickly double as an emergency raincoat by cutting slits for head and arms.

We are only packing 1 cotton T-shirt each, for that very reason, plus a few poly's.

--Also, taking a "least favorite" hat that we pitch as soon as we find THE ONE. We like to browse and didn't want to panic buy in Fairbanks knowing we will need one in Denali. But then we look like the tourists we are, wearing the Alaska stuff, rather than advertising our own mini-heaven NH, Cannon Mt., Pats,:rolleyes: Hmmmm Tough choice.

Don't worry, a lot of Alaskans wear Alaska t-shirts that we get on sale at the end of the tourist season. I throw in a few clothes after I pack all my camera and electronic equipment. As stated above, I bring clothes I don't care about getting rid of and buy new stuff along the way.

my friend said don't pack a sweatshirt because you will want to buy one in Alaska as a souvnier!

This was my plan last year, but then it ended up being 80F when we were doing our major shopping (in Ketchikan) and I had sweat dripping down my back in the non-air conditioned shops, and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Hoping for cooler weather this time around, since there were some really great fleece sweatshirts for low prices and I really want one now!

I have rain poncho (rather bulky). Nice thing about it is tha it covers whatever I am carrying. Would you recommend taking it?

I have a modified photographer's vest.. holds credit card, lipstick, a snack bar, so I don't have to carry purse.

What is "leaves" soap and any idea what type of store to buy it at? Also, am I understanding you are using a pencil case to cover your lens? Do you have a cover for the camera itself?

The Leaves soap we got at EMS, (Sea to Summit brand) used for backpacking, biodegradable. They're little flakes (think the Listerine things ) dissolve in a little water to make soap. In the backpacking section. Hubby is allergic to perfumed soaps and this one is green tea scented, very light, Will be trying the first load tonight ahead of time. Tried the Purex "pure" all in one sheets, he itched like he'd rolled in poison ivy. Normally we use Dr. Bronner's for camping, bar soap, and around the house cleaning.

The neoprene pencil case is for my second lens (70 -300mm) for my Nikon, for when I have other lens on the camera. I hate putting down and digging through my bag to switch. Time is lost shots. It carries nicely in the water bottle pouch.

Do you try to hang the binoculars and camera outside the backpack? I would worry it may become the target for thieves.

They hang from the front of my backpack straps, like the sternum strap, in front of my very broad chest. Ready for ME to grab at a moment's notice. Except for the DH, I pity anybody else that tries it:D I wear this backpack everywhere when we are hiking and traveling; It's my purse and is firmly attached to me.

When I had a shoulder strap, I was known to get up and walk away without it, OOOPS, doesn't happen now.

Did a dry run with the disposal undies --- No thank you!

For wind and rain, we have wind pants and jacket that fold up into nice little pouches that can go into the backpack so we are always ready for anything --works great.

You made me smile Italy. Yea, we like those waterproof breathable sets!

You made me smile Italy. Yea, we like those waterproof breathable sets!

Ah, someone that understands - :). We modeled tthe disposables for each other and laughed the whole night -- felt like I was wearing a bathroom paper towel. :D:D.

We just lay the coat across the top of the rolly and then slip backpack or shoulder bag over the handle so that it rides along on the back of the rolly. It holds the coat in place very nicely. Much easier not needing to mess with a bungee cord, especially on airplanes.

Can wear a photographer's vest for all the extra pockets it provides. Holds lots of small items. Just slip it off and place in bin at airport security.

On occasion have used the ship's body wash or shampoo for hand laundry items. More lather than wanted, but it rinses out nicely in the shower.

Big plastic bag that lines rolly can quickly double as an emergency raincoat by cutting slits for head and arms.

Tried the backpack alone on the rolly. Something about how the straps are set up--it flopped all around and I looked like I'd had one too many trying to keep it all under control.

I can use anything--Lava, room stuff, pump soap in restroom, etc for shower/hair/shave the legs/undies (wash, not disposable:o) but DH is another animal w/allergies. Everything has to be pre-tested or it ruins a fun time. Don't even say Neoprene around him:eek:

Oh, yeh, the plastic trash bag has saved more than one camping trip. Family set of 4 one time, boy were the cousins jealous!!

Can't figure out how to use both backpack and photog vest?? Do you double up?

Thanks!! great ideas to ponder and double check against what works for us and what we haven't considered yet.

Many hands make light work, momma always said.

Ah, someone that understands - :). We modeled tthe disposables for each other and laughed the whole night -- felt like I was wearing a bathroom paper towel. :D:D.

Pray tell, how long did they last?? :D Maybe, we'd better leave those details out.

Do you have a cover for the camera itself?

I checked the photo discussion board and one of the guys there recommended these. You can Google the brand and see what's the best price for you. A lot like a bread bag with the holes already in the right place. They make different sizes/styles. Packed in the backpack, just in case. Very small package and there's two.

http://www.amazon.com/Rainsleeve-Digital-Cameras-Lenses-Diameter/dp/B000PTFDYO

Spent most of the Shamu show (kids 23, 21, of course wanted to be in the splash zone) trying to keep my beloved Nikon safe under the plastic bag from one of the towels the hawkers sell. Decided there had to be something better.

Archived