How Many Times in Specialty Dining Rooms?

pratzert

We're on the Sept. 17th sailing of Insignia for 14 days.

How many times are we entitled to dine in the specialty dining rooms if we are in the lower catagory cabins ?

I can't seem to find any specifics on the "O" website about it.

Thanks.

We've been on Regatta twice, and Nautica once, and each time the initial allowance was twice for the specialty restaurants.

That said, you can check daily at the desk in the Terraces, and often can get a same day reservation above and beyond the initial allocation.

Some days they are almost begging for people to go to either Polo or Toscana

We've been on Regatta twice, and Nautica once, and each time the initial allowance was twice for the specialty restaurants.

That said, you can check daily at the desk in the Terraces, and often can get a same day reservation above and beyond the initial allocation.

Some days they are almost begging for people to go.

Drake I,

Thanks for the info.....

Can they check for "extra" availability at ALL the specialty restauants ?

I have read that in the past that you can be successfuly in getting a table above your allotment. But I never knew what the allotment was until now.

Does the allotment vary depending on cruise length ?

If so, It seems one reservation per 7 days.

Here are the restaurant reservation rules currently shown on the Oceania site:

Reservation Rules

When to make your reservations:

• Your booking must be paid in full.
  • The online dining reservation system closes 14 days prior to your sailing's embarkation date.
  • Owner's and Vista Suite can make reservations 90 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.
  • Penthouse Suite can make reservations 75 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.
  • Concierge Level Veranda staterooms can make reservations 60 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.
  • Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom can make reservations 45 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Number of reservations:

• Owner's Suite, Vista Suite and Concierge
    10-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant
    18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant
  • Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom
    10-17 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant
    18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Number of guest per table:

• All reservations have a maximum of 8 guests per table.

If you are flexible about dining times, your chances of getting additional reservations beyond the minimum shown above are far greater. Reservations after 7:30PM were easy for us to get on our last O cruise.

Kathleen

Kathleen.

Thanks for the quoted info from the website.

So according to the official guidelines, we are only allowed ONE reservation on our 14 day cruise.

Hmmm... I would have been a little more pleased if it was the two we had orginally thought.

But it does seem there is hope we can get a few additional reservations based on the comments on the forum.

We usually are pretty flexible on our times.... it may even be an excuse to have "One More" at the bar before dinner.:)

I am SO looking forward to the dining experience onboard.

The closest thing we have ever had to "Fine Dining" on a cruise is on the NCL Spirit and we had to pay $20/head for the pleasure.... and it was NOT worth it in my opinion.

I think the food quality even in the main DR on "O" will be better than the paid specialty restaurant on the NCL ship.

BTW... the food was still good.... I think I gained about 10 pounds on the cruise, but I have confidence the "O" experience will be head and shoulders above that on the NCL ship.

This reservation system for reserved dining is the main reason that now Oceania is lower on our list of preferred cruise lines. We just returned from a 12 day and we also were joined by my inlaws. When I went to get my two reservations I entered their names and low and behold they couldn't secure reservations. The only way we could have had two per cabin was if we took open tables each time we booked and they took opens.

Up until this the four of us were going to try a repositioning, but not now. We have sailed other lines that we may have to rise early to get a reservation, but we have been accomodated. That being said we did manage to get four nights by agressive persuit of the booking staff. We just don't think it's worth the trouble.

The general dining room is ok since it is open and we always stake out a table out of the traffic flow and quieter, but the quality of the steaks isn't there, the Italian specials are lacking and it's not the same. Also the less experienced jr. waiters make too many mistakes in orders to make it a fine experience.

IMHO - While the food was good, better than the mainstream lines we've used, but less than Crystal or Regent, the sameness of the menus also turned us off.

This reservation system for reserved dining is the main reason that now Oceania is lower on our list of preferred cruise lines. We just returned from a 12 day and we also were joined by my inlaws. When I went to get my two reservations I entered their names and low and behold they couldn't secure reservations. The only way we could have had two per cabin was if we took open tables each time we booked and they took opens.

Up until this the four of us were going to try a repositioning, but not now. We have sailed other lines that we may have to rise early to get a reservation, but we have been accomodated. That being said we did manage to get four nights by agressive persuit of the booking staff. We just don't think it's worth the trouble.

The general dining room is ok since it is open and we always stake out a table out of the traffic flow and quieter, but the quality of the steaks isn't there, the Italian specials are lacking and it's not the same. Also the less experienced jr. waiters make too many mistakes in orders to make it a fine experience.

IMHO - While the food was good, better than the mainstream lines we've used, but less than Crystal or Regent, the sameness of the menus also turned us off.

I can understand being turned off about it if you have to struggle to get the reservations.

We'll try to take it in stride and not let it go in with an attitude.

I would think that how booked the ship is would have an impact on the ease in which you can obtain a reservation.

So far.... it looks like our sailing is pretty well booked.

Do you mean booking online or on the ship?

If you just tell the person doing the reservations you want to share with your inlaws they will usually put you together they take your cabin numbers

We have done that with friends without problems

If booking online then you need to put SHARE the INVITE friends you need their booking number & surname though

Lyn

As Lyn says, you can do all of you together online by "inviting" your in laws. I was able to book all 8 of us on each day I wanted without any problem at all. Having said that tho, you can not get 2 at each restaurant for each cabin if you are dining together. In other words when you "invite" your inlaws that counts against their allocation for guaranteed reservations.

------------------

Helen

Archived