cruise with dog

fl9606

Yes, Cunard allows them last I checked, as previously mentioned. However when I researched it the dogs had to be kept in their kennel area in a dedicated area on the ship (kind of like shipping cargo.)

You might want to do a general search on the board for "service dogs." I've seen a few on my cruises with physically handicapped people. Those were all large dogs but there seemed to be no issues with accomodating them. Your only issue would likely be getting whatever documentation your cruiseline requires to prove it's a service animal.

Cunard does or did allow dogs.

In today's world, you might get away with the emotional support, but I doubt it. It does show you are imaginative though

Using Carnival as an example:

Legitimate "qualified service animal":

http://www.servicedogcentral.org/content/node/256

From: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

(e) No Guest is permitted, to bring on board the vessel live animals (other then qualified service animals, with not less than 14 days advance notice given to Carnival). Guest will be solely responsible for any and all damage and/or loss caused by service animals.

I would be more concerned with the possibility of being refused boarding due the opinion of the ships physician or Captain:

b) Carnival and the Master each reserves the right to refuse passage, disembark or confine to a stateroom any Guest whose physical or mental condition, or behavior would be considered in the sole opinion of the Captain and/or the ship's physician to constitute a risk to the Guest's own well-being or that of any other Guest or crew member.

This is something that should be discussed and cleared with the cruiseline directly prior to booking.

hi

#1) are there cruises that allow dogs?

#2) i have an emotional support therapy service dog. can i bring him with me ?

lo

Now that's a good one :rolleyes:. I think anyone that has a dog would consider them an emotional support therapy service dog :D I think your going to have to me a little more creative then that, to get away with it. Is you ESTSD about 5 lbs? :D

any cruise line will allow a certified care animal on board. You will need to make sure the animal is appropriately registered and has all its shots up to date and notify the cruise line in advance. The cruise line will supply an appropriate mat/box for the animal to do its necessary on.

you can find out more by asking here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Colomom, the dog must already be trained to use a doggie pad. If he/she is not trained to use it, you can't expect the habit to change suddenly on a cruise. I would expect the dog to pee on the balcony floor unless that pad is the same size as the balcony itself. I am sure any passenger who is sitting on an adjacent balcony would not want to see it.

I think blind, deaf, and wheelchair-bound people should be accomodated in other ways. That is certainly possible. Technology allows those people to not need service animals. Maybe a policy to require service dog owners to travel with a human companion, not an exception to allow the dog onboard, would be sufficient. There are just too many things that can go wrong if any dog is allowed onboard. If you need a domestic animal to keep your emotions under control, why don't you take medication for your disability?

There was a passenger onboard our last cruise with her "service" animal ... she called it her Anxiety Savior.

Wouldn't have been so bad if she had not dressed the little dog in dresses and tutus and whatever other frilly nonsense, and cooed and doted on it as one mjight with a traditional companion animal. Well, then she let it run loose thruout the corridors and in/out of the elvators, and perched her "service" animal/pet on barstools with its slobbering face right on the bar. None of this being how a service animal normally is treated and handled.

Yes, when I returned, I called the cruiseline's home office accessibility department, as well as customer service ... and learned that there are many out there taking advantage of the accessibility provisions and/or laws that govern handicap accommodations.

Truthfully, cruiselines should require more than just a note from one's doctor to bring along the family pet.

I would not want to be the next occupant of a cabin that housed a dog on the previous cruise. If a dog is used to "going" on walks or "going" in the backyard, it is not magically going to know it is supposed to "go" on the pads or in a box. It is far more likely that it will "go" on the carpet, on the bed, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs and have one of my own. But I would not trust her to go on a tiny pad when she's used to sniffing all over the yard (or all over the neighborhood) for the perfect spot to "go".

There was a passenger onboard our last cruise with her "service" animal ... she called it her Anxiety Savior.

Wouldn't have been so bad if she had not dressed the little dog in dresses and tutus and whatever other frilly nonsense, and cooed and doted on it as one mjight with a traditional companion animal. Well, then she let it run loose thruout the corridors and in/out of the elvators, and perched her "service" animal/pet on barstools with its slobbering face right on the bar. None of this being how a service animal normally is treated and handled.

Yes, when I returned, I called the cruiseline's home office accessibility department, as well as customer service ... and learned that there are many out there taking advantage of the accessibility provisions and/or laws that govern handicap accommodations.

Truthfully, cruiselines should require more than just a note from one's doctor to bring along the family pet.

Anywhere, not just on cruise ships, service dogs are supposed to wear vests so others can see they are there to work, not play. I have seen them on a few dogs. They include the organization name and logo. Dogs can only get them from the training organization, so it is clear proof the dog is not just an ordinary pet. I hope cruise lines require a dog - no matter what his or her job is - to wear this type of vest to prevent complaints from all of the passengers who do not like or are allergic to dogs about the presence of a dog in public areas.

Anywhere, not just on cruise ships, service dogs are supposed to wear vests so others can see they are there to work, not play. I have seen them on a few dogs. They include the organization name and logo. Dogs can only get them from the training organization, so it is clear proof the dog is not just an ordinary pet. I hope cruise lines require a dog - no matter what his or her job is - to wear this type of vest to prevent complaints from all of the passengers who do not like or are allergic to dogs about the presence of a dog in public areas.

Yes, I am aware of the whole service dog thing, the training, the identifying vests, etc.

Apparently some cruiselines merely accept letter from one's doctor saying the critter is necessary for health reasons. I think they need to revise how they address the issue, as the access rep I spoke with at a cruiseline home office told me many, many people are taking advantage.

So, yes, perhaps only service animals certified by a legitimate organization should be permitted onboard.

hi

#1) are there cruises that allow dogs?

#2) i have an emotional support therapy service dog. can i bring him with me ?

lo

You must have a physicians letter saying this is actually a service animal and it's required for your health. I think most people can use the excuse that a "pet" is for emotional support, but in all reality it's actually because the owner either doesn't want to pay for boarding or a pet sitter, or they are so overly attached to the pet that they just don't want to leave it home, and use the service animal card.

You must also present the paperwork stating that the animal is really a trained service animal and not just a pet.

" If you need a domestic animal to keep your emotions under control, why don't you take medication for your disability? "

That actually sounds like a very good idea, AT !!! I think what bothers a lot of us on this issue is the 'I'm getting one over on you' aspect- we'd ALL love to take our pets with us. If the dog's wearing tutus and rhinestone necklaces, that's odd garb for a service or therapy dog,no?

I don't mean to be snarky, but I've never heard of an "emotional support" dog. Are you traveling alone or something? Or is it that the dog freaks out if it can't go everywhere with you because both of you are too enmeshed with each other? Like the times people "have" to bring their dogs with them into the stores, etc?

there are, actually, emotional support dogs. They can provide comfort when an anxiety attack hits etc. That being said, i don't believe that ESDs should be allowed on a cruise ship. There are other avenues to get assistance and emotional support for your issues without the use of a pet. Whether it be medication or meditation or bringing along a trusted friend, they *are* alternatives.

Service dogs for those with a disability (physical or mental) should be allowed as they are providing a service that cannot be achieved by any other means.

I am someone who suffers from panic attacks and have anxiety issues. I am a complete basketcase when it comes to crowded rooms or strange places/people. While my cats cheer me up and make me calm (most days lol) i would never think about bringing them on a cruise.

If i'm going on a cruise (which i am in October), then i need to have made the conscious decision that i need to do so without my "security blanket". My husband will be there and i will be bringing along a few happy pills if things get bad. BUt that's a choice i made. People will actual disabilities that have no other option but to rely upon a service dog to perform crucial assistance tasks, shouldn't have to deal with any negativity due to people abusing the "service dog" allowance to sneak Fluffy on board with them.

Now if the OP is mentally disabled and needs their emotional support dog to do things such as alert them to when medication is overdue or keep them safe when they're having an episode, that would classify the emotional support dog as a service dog and should be allowed.

Good post. I agree..there are some disabilities that do require those kinds of dogs and I really, truly, doubt anyone would point a finger at that.

But again, as you say, there are many other ways to deal with anxiety besides having a pet. And to be honest, to me it seems odd if someone "has" to have a pet with them or they have an anxiety attack. If you look in the DSM IV-TR manual guidelines, there is something called separation anxiety disorder...chlidren and adults can have it..but part of treating the disorder involves detaching them from the love object and helping them realize they dont need that person as an object to survive.

I think what others are saying here is that there are some people who think the dog is indispensable. Personally, I find it rude when people can't follow rules of stores, etc and "have" to bring their dog in. I hate it especially in restaurants. I don't want a dog roaming around on a leash when i am trying to eat my dinner.

there are, actually, emotional support dogs. They can provide comfort when an anxiety attack hits etc. That being said, i don't believe that ESDs should be allowed on a cruise ship. There are other avenues to get assistance and emotional support for your issues without the use of a pet. Whether it be medication or meditation or bringing along a trusted friend, they *are* alternatives.

Service dogs for those with a disability (physical or mental) should be allowed as they are providing a service that cannot be achieved by any other means.

I am someone who suffers from panic attacks and have anxiety issues. I am a complete basketcase when it comes to crowded rooms or strange places/people. While my cats cheer me up and make me calm (most days lol) i would never think about bringing them on a cruise.

If i'm going on a cruise (which i am in October), then i need to have made the conscious decision that i need to do so without my "security blanket". My husband will be there and i will be bringing along a few happy pills if things get bad. BUt that's a choice i made. People will actual disabilities that have no other option but to rely upon a service dog to perform crucial assistance tasks, shouldn't have to deal with any negativity due to people abusing the "service dog" allowance to sneak Fluffy on board with them.

Now if the OP is mentally disabled and needs their emotional support dog to do things such as alert them to when medication is overdue or keep them safe when they're having an episode, that would classify the emotional support dog as a service dog and should be allowed.

The very powerful Rent Control Lobby in SF had proposed legislation that "all rental" apartments and condo rules allow "emotional" support dogs! I think it was limited to lap dogs less than a certain weight! I did not keep up with what happened to the legislation. And of course, all MDs would certify that the patient "needed" emotional support -- after all who does not need emotional support.

Once cruise lines agree to allow emotional support pets -- dogs, cats, birds, snakes, and what nots, we can all look forward to enjoying a real zoo on board.

I don't mean to be snarky, but I've never heard of an "emotional support" dog.

Wow, this is a very interesting thread. We have been doing a great deal of research and are considering getting a psychiatric service dog for our daughter; she is 20 and has developmental delays as well as mental health issues. I've been surprised to learn about all the tasks these dogs can be trained to do (and, yes, there is a rigorous, formal training process for PSD's, although it's very different process than getting a seeing-eye dog or a dog trained to assist the hearing-impaired.)

The skepticism and cynicism (and downright rudeness) displayed here have opened my eyes to the attitudes we're likely to encounter if/when we do obtain a PSD. It's a shame that some people would scoff and sneer about something that could truly be a lifesaver for a person with a disability..........they'd rather mock and assume that the person just has an attachment to a pet than understand and accept that people respond to different types of therapy - pills don't fix everything.

Before the flames begin, yes, I understand that there are those who would take advantage, it's already been pointed out that there are many of them, but there are also legitimate examples..........maybe someone should have asked the op to explain further instead of immediately mocking the post.

I think an emotional support therapy dog and a psychiatric service dog are completely different things. Like i mentioned in my post, if the dog performs tasks that are crucial to the service of the disabled traveller, then i (and i believe probably most of the posters here) would think absolutely nothing of it.

The fact the OP called it an emotional support therapy dog pretty much put it in the category that I (and others here) feel should *not* be something that should be allowed on the cruise line. I don't agree with the mocking, but I do agree that if you're just emotionally attached to your lap dog, you shouldn't be trying to take him aboard. It makes it so those who DO need the service dog, like your daughter, aren't greeted to the responses you see here. Those who take advantage are making the legitimate examples end up with a less-desirable experience, because of it.

Basically put, if you absolutely need the services dog for assistance and not just comfort and face licking when you're feeling stressed, by all means, the dog would be more than welcome on board with, i would hope, most people's understanding. Please don't misunderstand the comments in this thread. They're most certainly not indicative of how you and your daughter will be considered.

Wow, this is a very interesting thread. We have been doing a great deal of research and are considering getting a psychiatric service dog for our daughter; she is 20 and has developmental delays as well as mental health issues. I've been surprised to learn about all the tasks these dogs can be trained to do (and, yes, there is a rigorous, formal training process for PSD's, although it's very different process than getting a seeing-eye dog or a dog trained to assist the hearing-impaired.)

The skepticism and cynicism (and downright rudeness) displayed here have opened my eyes to the attitudes we're likely to encounter if/when we do obtain a PSD. It's a shame that some people would scoff and sneer about something that could truly be a lifesaver for a person with a disability..........they'd rather mock and assume that the person just has an attachment to a pet than understand and accept that people respond to different types of therapy - pills don't fix everything.

Before the flames begin, yes, I understand that there are those who would take advantage, it's already been pointed out that there are many of them, but there are also legitimate examples..........maybe someone should have asked the op to explain further instead of immediately mocking the post.

What you're talking about, and what the OP is asking, are two very different things. A psychiatric support animal is a completely different thing than an "emotional" support pet. I used to have a service dog, who was trained to do a lot of things for me, but the subdivision I lived in made me give him up--you see, she was also a protection dog and also highly trained as a service animal, but the neighbors used a clause in the association bylaws to force me to either move or get rid of her. I had no choice.

As with all things in this world, there are those who would take advantage of any situation in order to get what they want. I was in the airport once when a woman came walking up with a PIG, yes a real oinker. She claimed this was her emotional support animal. They had to let her on the plane with this animal. Now, how a pig can give emotional support is beyond me, but I guess it takes all kinds.

I think you have hit the key requirement here. All such dogs often have an identification tag as well.

Wow, this is a very interesting thread. We have been doing a great deal of research and are considering getting a psychiatric service dog for our daughter; ...

(and, yes, there is a rigorous, formal training process for PSD's, although it's very different process than getting a seeing-eye dog or a dog trained to assist the hearing-impaired.)

Archived