Norwalk Phobia??

DeRon

Man! All I read about is the Norwalk virus! Is this a resal threat to the masses? Or an isolated problem? This makes one think twice about cruising.

I just wonder if this has always been around, but now with boards and all, do we all concentrate on it more?

:confused:

cruiseyguy, I agree with you - every little twinge on board makes people worry about Norwalk virus.

Norwalk has been around for a while, but it used to be one of those nameless viruses that are common in schools, hospitals, nursing homes, universities, etc. Didn't you ever have the tummy "flu" when you were a kid, or have your kids bring it home to you? It goes through the school like wildfire, lots of kids are sick and stay home for a day or two, and then it's all forgotten.

Somehow the media has given the impression that Norwalk is special to cruise ships, and they talk about it like it's the scourge of the sea. Although it's no fun, and it can be more serious for those with impaired immune systems, it's not any more of a problem on cruise ships than it is anywhere else.

If we read inflammatory articles every time the local schools or nursing homes were hit with Norwalk, we'd think twice about going out of our houses!

With common sense precautions and a bit of luck, I don't expect to catch it on my cruise. If I do, I won't be too happy, but I've certainly caught it at home before!

Lisa

My then 16 month old had an absolutely horrible gastro intestinal virus the first time we were on the Century, pre Norwalk-in-the-news. It was a nightmare and ruined our cruise for us. We almost swore off cruising for ever as that was the first one. It IS a big deal to get one of these!

I actually think that in a way its good that the cruise lines have this threat because it forces them to be extra extra clean.

Suzanne

For some reason, this virus always "pops" up in January w/ cruise ships. We were on Mercury a few wks ago and that is when the RC ship had a problem. Tis the season for illness, colds, flu, etc. Suzanne, sorry about your problem...there is nothing worse than having a sick baby.

This virus does seem to pop up in winter, but a few years ago it was the late summer, early fall season that seemed to affect every cruise line and most every ship. Would I worry or let this scare me into not cruising or becoming a basket case; heavens NO!! Even on the ships that have the worst problems, usually 90% or more of the passengers are not affected or affected not enough to ruin the cruise. Use common sense, wash your hands over and over, use sanitation wipes if available and go have FUN!!! NMnita

The only time that I have had was after attending a business conference on land in November. I thought I had the flu but found out through the newspaper that half of us at the conference had it and it was noro. Made me wonder how many other times it has been diagnosed as stomach flu. If you are going to try to stay clear of it then you will need to give up a lot more than just cruising. Same rules apply any place there are crowds!

Suzanne, It would be absolutely awful with a baby! You must have been terrified. As an adult it was 36 hours of misery and then rapid improvement.

Hi,

As with almost anything that gets widespread media attention, the reality tends to become overblown. Viruses and organisms are around us all the time, particularly in ANY mass gathering of humanity (imagine the Super Bowl crowd this weekend!).

Think about the numbers of people on today's cruise vessels: 2000 passengers, 1000 crew members, and the media reports 200 people "feeling symptoms which may have been the Norovirus." By my calculation that would be approx. 6.6% of those aboard. Certainly not epidemic by any means.

Be cautious, be sensitive, be safe. Carry sanitation wipes, small vials of cleanser such as Purell, and you ought to be just fine! And I do agree, the most positive thing to come of the media focus on this subject, is that the cruise industry in general has become more sensitive to public area cleanliness.

Happy Sailing!!

You know, I work in a hospital and there are germs everywhere. Some of us are exposed to viruses and bacteria so often that our bodies just naturally develop a resistance to them. Something that would make someone else very sick can live very peacefully in someone else's body. Fortunately for me, I happen to be a person who can live peacefully with loads of bacteria! :D When you put a group of people together, people who normally wouldn't be together on a day to day basis, there are going to be new bacteria and viruses introduced. Someone is going to get sick. The elderly tend to have lower resistance thresholds, so they are usually the victims. Cruise ships are susceptible just in their nature, but that doesn't mean that you should not cruise. Sure it is a risk, but really, these days, what isn't? Unlike what a poster on another board said, Handwashing really is the key. The hands are the number one vector, or transporter of germs. So protect yourself, and others----you may not even be aware of what germs you are living with!!! Wash those hands!!!!! Frequently!!!! Prevention is the key!!!!

Cruise safely and happily!!

Donna

deRon,, forget about "Norwalk",,, it's the 'Flavor o/the Week', for those that must spread fear & panic. It is now the cold and flu season buddy, people get sick moreso in the winter than in summer, it's been a fact of life for hundreds of centuries. The best thing you can do to avoid getting sick is to wash your hands frequently. Stop worrying, Go & Enjoy yourself :D.

Wash my hands 10,000 times a day

Wipe the entire room down with Clorox wipes

Put on anti-bacteria lotion before going out

Gargle with Listerene

Wear latex gloves when going on any excursion

Hmmm...

I think I will do this instead: Lay by the pool and let my frozen drink kill any random germ that presents itself.

The original post that I wrote was not really a serious question, but more of an observation of people's fears. I am not making light of problems that people have encountered (when you are sick - I understand it's horrible!), but there is a point of being overly fearful of something that happens everyday in the world no matter what.

Man! All I read about is the Norwalk virus! Is this a resal threat to the masses? Or an isolated problem? This makes one think twice about cruising.

I just wonder if this has always been around, but now with boards and all, do we all concentrate on it more?

:confused:

I think there is nothing wrong with Norwalk. It is a fine town. You can just hop on Rt. 250, head north, and be to Lake Erie in no time at all.

Hope This Helps!

OK, I made a joke about the town with the sme name that is just several miles from where I grew up. So, then I look it up and find out that it is actually named after the very same town. Boy am I glad they didn't first identify it in Sandusky!

Origin of Name

Norovirus, also referred to as Norwalk, causes acute gastroenteritis with nausea, vomiting, fever, and myalgia that lasts 24-48 hours. The virus is transmitted through fecal-oral contact. It was first associated with gastroenteritis in 1972. It was identified by electron microscopy of samples that had been saved from a 1968 gastroenteritis epidemic that occurred in Norwalk, Ohio. In a 2-day period, acute gastroenteritis developed in 50% of 232 students or teachers in an elementary school. The virus initially was labeled as a small, round, structured virus, and it was named after the city in which the outbreak occurred.

My then 16 month old had an absolutely horrible gastro intestinal virus the first time we were on the Century, pre Norwalk-in-the-news. It was a nightmare and ruined our cruise for us. We almost swore off cruising for ever as that was the first one. It IS a big deal to get one of these! Suzanne

Yes, it is a BIG DEAL to get one of these! Worse, is having a young child become infected. :( It must have been awful for you!

Glad you have been willing to give cruising another try!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

just made a roomful of folks sick. A mother changing her a baby on the table of the buffet. We saw it, saw them leave when accomplished & new folks coming to sit & I told them to wait for the table to be cleaned & motioned to a waiter. Told him what I saw & he got the disinfectant & the folks took the table thanking me.

Where do these people come from? Where have they been told about germs, thousands of folks that could be sick from that innocent baby. And it wasn't the first time we saw her doing it again...........

Yes, it is a BIG DEAL to get one of these! Worse, is having a young child become infected. :( It must have been awful for you!

Glad you have been willing to give cruising another try!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Archived