Elation / Mobile Review June 5-10

jam3

I just got off the Elation today. The shows I saw were "Spin" having to do with songs from different cities in the US, and another show which I've forgotten the name but was better- at one point they sang a bunch of patriotic songs that I enjoyed. That show had to do with the various months of the year, so July had the patriotic songs, December had Christmas, etc.

This is a little off the subject, but has anyone gotten off the ship in Progresso and gone straight to Merida? If so, how was your experience there? My DH wants to go to a cigar bar there that has emailed us and said they would send a taxi to pick us up. Also we thought after our visit to the cigar bar we would take one of the double decker busses around the city. Any thoughts???

I just got off the Elation today. The shows I saw were "Spin" having to do with songs from different cities in the US, and another show which I've forgotten the name but was better- at one point they sang a bunch of patriotic songs that I enjoyed. That show had to do with the various months of the year, so July had the patriotic songs, December had Christmas, etc.

Yes, Spin and Rhythm. The second one is the one with the different months of the year. That is the only one I saw and it was fun to watch.

thanks sounds like two new shows I havent yet seen ... anything has to be better than seeing shows Iv seen 4 times...yea!!!

thanks again.

This is a little off the subject, but has anyone gotten off the ship in Progresso and gone straight to Merida? If so, how was your experience there? My DH wants to go to a cigar bar there that has emailed us and said they would send a taxi to pick us up. Also we thought after our visit to the cigar bar we would take one of the double decker busses around the city. Any thoughts???

Yes, we went to Merida from Progresso and loved it. We hired a driver right where the shuttle dropped you off in town. He spoke excellent English and toured us while we were in Merida. The most interesting places that he took us to where the local market and the cathedral which is the oldest church in North America. Merida will remind you of many Europen cities. I would definitly go to Progreso again just to go to Merida.

Yes and No. Yes for the lewd comments but no because others said they were harassed for buying stuff as well. We just felt like our personal space was invaded. I don't mind saying "no thank you" and moving along but they kinda blocked the sidewalks which was the really annoying part. Others have said the ruins tours are good and you will see the long pier.... it's really just personal preference, so don't be deterred by my experience! Look at it this way, we got back on the ship and enjoyed a quite day by the pool because so many were off the ship! Can't beat that.

I agree, We went there last year and the hawking was rediculous. Even while we were in a bar/restaurant across from the beach. We had to tell the same guy NO we dont want any DVD's at least 5 times. It really did wear on us after a while. We had a group of 3 couples, all 3 guys were BIG dudes too. We did not hear any lewd remarks but hawking was killer.

This is definately a good port to take a tour of some kind!!!

We are not big drinkers but I do enjoy an occasional cocktail. I noticed this as well as many others...The first day drinks are MUCH stronger than the drinks the rest of the time. Being in marketing, I can see this as a sales tactic but be very careful or you will miss the first night dinner :D

Actually the nights we leave Cozumel seem to be my biggest night to miss dinner.....

I don't get the reason Carnival is still calling in Progresso.:mad: I thought this port was to be a "fill in" until they finished rebuilding Costa Maya. (which has been completed now) It's a waste of time to even get off the ship. We like to book 5 day cruises out of Mobile and New Orleans as we can drive there from St Louis in about 10 hours. It makes a nice week vacation if you go in a day early, but I am certainly not going to Progresso.:eek:

Agreed!

I wish they would take more of the 5 day trips back to CM. We met our new best friends there 3 years ago on a cruise. We were on the beach and met a couple from our home town, been on 3 cruises with them since and have 2 more planned with them this year. We have not been back since rebuild but look fwd to it one day.

OP, Thank you so much for the review and answers to all the questions!!! GREAT JOB!

Don't give up on Progreso. I grabbed one of the shuttle buses which took us on a quick tour of some ruins (so we wouldn't lose a lot of beach time). Then we went to a private resort that was great. All food and drink was inclusive in the price. The beach and resort were great. Our guide was in law school and spoke English well.

Let's see if this answers most questions. I'm posting the highlights. Unfortunatley, I don't have all of the little parts that you separate from the paper....that gives more details

Saturday :

Not so Easy Trivia 6:00

Mind Game Mania 6:30

Cha Cha Dance Class 8:30

The Great Game Show 9:00

Welcome Aboard Show 10:30

Singles Party 12:00

Lunch Taste - Italian

DOD Funship Special

Sunday: Day at Sea

Two Step Into Some Fun with Nick 3:00

Wine Tasting 2:00

Steve's Gender Showdown 3:30

Karaoke & Legends Auditions with Cory 7:00

R Rated Comedy with Carl Rimi 10:45 and 12:00

Golf Clinic 12:00

Show "Rhythm" Featuring "Beth and David" 8:45 and 10:30

Captains Celebration 5-8

Monday: Port Progreso

Show "Spin" 7:00 and 8:45

Big Screen Movie "Avatar" 3:00

Mexican Buffet 11:30(pm)

Live Guitar with Dan

Karaoke Party with Cory

Piano Fun with James

Tuesday: Port Cozumel

Morning Trivia 11:00

Big Screen Movie "The Hurt Locker" 3:00

Afternoon Sports Trivia 3:30

Show "Variety Showtime" Comedy and Ventriloquism w/ Tim Harkleroad and Vocals with Yolanda Barber 8:45 and 10:30

Lunch Buffet "American Southwest"

DOD Mexican Mama

Wednesday:Day at Sea

Show "Carnival Legends" 10:30

Cory's Thriller Dance Class 2:15

R Rated Comedy with Tim 12:00

Sing-Along with Michael 1:00 and 9:30

Steve's Marriage Show 3:00

Thursday : Debarkation

Like I said, I did not have all of the separated portions which have all the times. I didn't include all of the Bingo sessions, etc but this should give you an idea.

Thanks so much for sharing! We leave Saturday and DH was asking about some of this today! I'm assuming Sunday will be our only Elegant night - Is that correct? We just got back off Elation last month but it was a 7 night cruise so some of the details are different.

A couple are included in the reply I just wrote but I didn't have all of them because they are listed on the separated part of the paper....Most of those were thrown away after the day.

Thanks for posting what you did have...it's helping to get me really excited about my cruise!!!

Ashley :)

Thank you for the review and the information. My husband and I are sailing on the Elation in September. Some of the past reviews have made us a little nervous.:eek: However, your review seemed to put us at ease.:D

Thanks to your review, we are getting excited and can not wait until September!:D

Thank you so much the review. We are getting excited about sailing the Elation. It is nice to have such a review as yours. Not totally negative as others have been.

Glad you had a good time. Looking forward to cruising next year. Thanks

Thanks so much for sharing! We leave Saturday and DH was asking about some of this today! I'm assuming Sunday will be our only Elegant night - Is that correct? We just got back off Elation last month but it was a 7 night cruise so some of the details are different.

Yes, Sunday night was out only formal night. I was actually surprised to see that the vast majority dressed up in some way. Short cocktail dresses and guys in sport coats seemed to be the norm. Very few "formals" and I did not see anyone in jeans. It was a good mix of in between.

I hope you have a blast! We really enjoyed our time and I can't wait to get back on Thanksgiving:)

Yes, Sunday night was out only formal night. I was actually surprised to see that the vast majority dressed up in some way. Short cocktail dresses and guys in sport coats seemed to be the norm. Very few "formals" and I did not see anyone in jeans. It was a good mix of in between.

I hope you have a blast! We really enjoyed our time and I can't wait to get back on Thanksgiving:)

Thanks for all the info Jam.... we are headed that way in August.

I know Michael's contract (piano bar) ends in July (:() ... so I know we will miss him.

I don't get the reason Carnival is still calling in Progresso.:mad: I thought this port was to be a "fill in" until they finished rebuilding Costa Maya. (which has been completed now) It's a waste of time to even get off the ship. We like to book 5 day cruises out of Mobile and New Orleans as we can drive there from St Louis in about 10 hours. It makes a nice week vacation if you go in a day early, but I am certainly not going to Progresso.:eek:

the contracts...since the big storm..2 yrs ago

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, we went to Merida from Progresso and loved it. We hired a driver right where the shuttle dropped you off in town. He spoke excellent English and toured us while we were in Merida. The most interesting places that he took us to where the local market and the cathedral which is the oldest church in North America. Merida will remind you of many Europen cities. I would definitly go to Progreso again just to go to Merida.

DW and I went to Merida after being let down with the state of progresso and enjoyed it thoroughly. If you are going for shopping forget it. If you want to see some Mexico go to Merida. There was a resturant across the street from the cathedral that was pretty good. I had a burrito made with several types of meat that was very good. Every thing was fresh made. the Cathedral was impressive. I would recommend trying to find a taxi driver that speaks good english. There are a lot of sights too see on the way in. Ours loved to gossip about all of the people who had built large houses and lost them!

DW and I went to Merida after being let down with the state of progresso and enjoyed it thoroughly. If you are going for shopping forget it. If you want to see some Mexico go to Merida. There was a resturant across the street from the cathedral that was pretty good. I had a burrito made with several types of meat that was very good. Every thing was fresh made. the Cathedral was impressive. I would recommend trying to find a taxi driver that speaks good english. There are a lot of sights too see on the way in. Ours loved to gossip about all of the people who had built large houses and lost them!

• 2 weeks later...
Let's see if this answers most questions. I'm posting the highlights. Unfortunatley, I don't have all of the little parts that you separate from the paper....that gives more details

Saturday :

Not so Easy Trivia 6:00

Mind Game Mania 6:30

Cha Cha Dance Class 8:30

The Great Game Show 9:00

Welcome Aboard Show 10:30

Singles Party 12:00

Lunch Taste - Italian

DOD Funship Special

Sunday: Day at Sea

Two Step Into Some Fun with Nick 3:00

Wine Tasting 2:00

Steve's Gender Showdown 3:30

Karaoke & Legends Auditions with Cory 7:00

R Rated Comedy with Carl Rimi 10:45 and 12:00

Golf Clinic 12:00

Show "Rhythm" Featuring "Beth and David" 8:45 and 10:30

Captains Celebration 5-8

Monday: Port Progreso

Show "Spin" 7:00 and 8:45

Big Screen Movie "Avatar" 3:00

Mexican Buffet 11:30(pm)

Live Guitar with Dan

Karaoke Party with Cory

Piano Fun with James

Tuesday: Port Cozumel

Morning Trivia 11:00

Big Screen Movie "The Hurt Locker" 3:00

Afternoon Sports Trivia 3:30

Show "Variety Showtime" Comedy and Ventriloquism w/ Tim Harkleroad and Vocals with Yolanda Barber 8:45 and 10:30

Lunch Buffet "American Southwest"

DOD Mexican Mama

Wednesday:Day at Sea

Show "Carnival Legends" 10:30

Cory's Thriller Dance Class 2:15

R Rated Comedy with Tim 12:00

Sing-Along with Michael 1:00 and 9:30

Steve's Marriage Show 3:00

Thursday : Debarkation

Like I said, I did not have all of the separated portions which have all the times. I didn't include all of the Bingo sessions, etc but this should give you an idea.

What is dod?

We are getting closer to our sail date... yay its almost our turn...I had some food eating Dinning questions. Was the MDR open every day during breakfast and lunch. On the days it was how did people dress to eat in there. Did you eat any meals on the lido deck?if you did what was the best food and how long were the lines? Lol thank you.. oh and is the menu the same each night? If not do you remember what served? Are there a lot of choices? Sorry for all the questions. Thank you..

Archived