really pathetic question but...

Ok...so this is a pathetic question lol :p My fiance is insisting on getting online every night at some point to "talk" because he is apparently going to miss me? Apparently enough to give me the money to pay for the internet package...lol...aww who am I kidding...I'll miss him too...but anyway...I told him 9pm would be OK because of dinner and the show, but I can't remember what time the dinner shows typically start? :confused: You'd think I'd know after 10 cruises...we have the early seating at 6pm...so am I correct in assuming the show starts at 8 and ends at 9? I never really paid attention because I never actually cared about someone enough to actually set a time to "talk". aye aye aye...I always promised I would never become one of those mushy types...but I'm gonna miss him to!

Next cruise after this...our HONEYMOON!! :D

Hi, You need to be careful, too, because there may be a time change on the cruise. But, if you go to Facebook or whatever, you can at least leave a message for him. Are you on one of the ships that has a webcam? I thought it would be funny to go on the Oasis and tell someone at home to look for me on the webcam at a certain time. Can he come with you, that would be the best! Good luck and enjoy your cruise....Maureen

I would not judge whether your fiancee is controlling or not...but whether he is being reasonable. tell him you will try but will make no promises and this is your vacation and you do not want to be on a time clock. Vacation is about getting away and this includes schedule...it is bad enough that we schedule dinner...it would be nice to just text over blackberry instant messenger like my husband and i do ...the text are free for the blackberry instant message. That is an idea if you have the resource.

Just a thought. I hope you have a good time and congratulations.

Emails or Private Messages through Face-book or other web site are always easy.

You can use the RCI Computers to send them.

The RCI Computers don't allow voice or video transmissions to limit tying up the ship's bandwidth.

it depends on your seating assignment...the first show is for the 2nd seating folks and the second show is for the main seating. The shows don't last an hour.

Why are you letting this guy cramp your style? Never define your existence by another person! Try this....see what happens when you tell him you're not going to take his last name after the wedding!

I find it sweet that he wants to chat with you, but let him know ahead of time that it might not be possible every day, that way he does not get his hopes up or be disappointed if you cannot chat one night. You may find it difficult to get a computer, unless you bring your own, as I have found the computer lounges to be quite full in the evening hours.

Make sure to check the differences between ship time and your local time zone.

The time for the shows varies each night, as some times there is only one show, late 10:45 ish if I remember correctly for both seatings. I believe this is the case for the Love and Marriage show. Each show will be listed in the compass that you will receive the night before, so when you do chat, you can let him know what time the show is and schedule the next day's chat time based on the compass and what you want to do.

I agree that putting a set time could set him up for disappointment or anger, and set you up for stress and anxiety. IMO, if you need a set time, 9pm is a bit early, and I'd say something more like 10:30 or 11pm.

I totally appreciate missing you/missing him... but there's part of me that says "absence makes the heart grow fonder"

With the internet package, why don't you say if you see him online, you'll chat... if not, you'll send him an e-mail (lost art of writing to each other) giving him all of the details of your day. That's a great way to give him all of the details... but also helps you relive/savor it AND so that you basically will have your trip review done by the time you get home :p

The internet is sometimes hit or miss on ship, so just take that into consideration when trying to do a set time and just make sure he knows that so he's not concerned. Also, I don't know where the cruise is going, but make sure you're in the same time zone. That gets confusing sometimes! :) I've never tried to IM on the ship, so I don't know how that works. Maybe, as someone else said, just shoot him a note and tell him about your day? Would that work? Have him send you a note too so you can find out how his day has been going.

Are you going on a trip with your girlfriends? I'm sure he's going to miss you and you both want to keep in touch, but trying to do anything on a set schedule from a cruise ship to land can lead to misunderstandings and missed connections (unintentional) so you both just need to accept that it may not work every night.

The internet is sometimes hit or miss on ship, so just take that into consideration when trying to do a set time and just make sure he knows that so he's not concerned.

bluegirlum is right. The internet can be very spotty, so even if you do plan on a set time it's not guaranteed you'll be able to talk to one another.

What about agreeing to IM when you're in port and can find a more reliable connection at an Internet cafe? You should be able to find decent places on Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

I see all sorts of big warning signs here, but in any case, I would tell him that you are on vacation, and that you don't always know when it will be convenient to make a call, and that if he doesn't pick up, you will leave a message, and talk with him the next day.

When my DW is cruising and I'm home, I will write to her, and when she has time, she will write back to me. We have no set time, and with the internet so slow onboard, I would not recommend IMing, no matter what time it is.

It's your vacation, and although you will miss him, it's very hard to talk, unless you want to pay the price of talking on your cell. Setting up a time in advance of getting aboard, is setting yourself up for failure.

I would use email, and make one or two days special, by setting up a time via email the day before. Setting up a time this far in advance, I feel, is doomed.

Enjoy your cruise!!:)

Rick

I see all sorts of big warning signs here, but in any case, I would tell him that you are on vacation, and that you don't always know when it will be convenient to make a call, and that if he doesn't pick up, you will leave a message, and talk with him the next day.

Glad I'm not the only one...control, much?

Ok...so this is a pathetic question lol :p My fiance is insisting on getting online every night at some point to "talk" because he is apparently going to miss me? Apparently enough to give me the money to pay for the internet package...lol...aww who am I kidding...I'll miss him too...but anyway...I told him 9pm would be OK because of dinner and the show, but I can't remember what time the dinner shows typically start? :confused: You'd think I'd know after 10 cruises...we have the early seating at 6pm...so am I correct in assuming the show starts at 8 and ends at 9? I never really paid attention because I never actually cared about someone enough to actually set a time to "talk". aye aye aye...I always promised I would never become one of those mushy types...but I'm gonna miss him to!

Next cruise after this...our HONEYMOON!! :D

Sounds like you too would love to stay in touch. If I was in your shoes, I would agree to email back and forth and not commit to a time to talk. If you miss the time for whatever reason, he may feel he wasted his time waiting for you. Just a thought. Congrats on your soon to happen marriage! :)

Guy here.

With all due respect, he sounds more like an insecure love struck teenager than an adult. While he may say his motivation is that he simply will miss you, it sounds to me more like he wants to keep you on a tether.

For gosh sakes, go have fun. Go to the clubs, parties, etc and enjoy yourself without having an "appointment" to talk to your BF. It is selfish of him to expect you to schedule a specific time for you to be available to him or to talk to him every day. You are on vacation. I can see problems down the road if you want to have a night out with the girls or go on a trip with friends.

Save the money for the internet package for your wedding or honeymoon. Several have suggested simply emailing him from a couple of ports where they have very cheap internet cafes. That sounds reasonable to me-if you have the time and it does not interfere with what you want to do in those ports.

I went to Vietnam fairly soon after I was married. We survived months of not being able to communicate with each other except by snail mail, and your boyfriends should be able to get by for a few days.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I just have to say, that I don't feel the guy is insecure or controlling. If I were going on a cruise w/o my significant other, I would be wanting to be in contact every day as well (and I have been married for 5 years). Do what works best for you.

I would miss my BF too and want to contact him too if I were gone on vacation. He's going away for 3 weeks next month, and we're already trying to figure out time zones so we can keep in touch.

That said, I don't think a cruise board is going to solve relationship issues and it's probably not appropriate for us to speculate on people we don't know.

Oh, wait, it's CC. :) That's what we do!! :D

I would miss my BF too and want to contact him too if I were gone on vacation. He's going away for 3 weeks next month, and we're already trying to figure out time zones so we can keep in touch.

That said, I don't think a cruise board is going to solve relationship issues and it's probably not appropriate for us to speculate on people we don't know.

Oh, wait, it's CC. :) That's what we do!! :D

LOL Exactly! The OP asked for us to help her with the timing of shows, not comment on her relationship. She chose who she is going to marry, and regardless of his flaws or perfect-ness, none of us have to live with him, she does!

I hope the OP has a fabulous cruise, and a long lasting marriage with her guy.

If it were me I would choose a time earlier in the day. Just speaking for me, being tired, having a few drinks, being in a hurry to get back to the party... might make it difficult to have a good conversation.

I just have to say, that I don't feel the guy is insecure or controlling. If I were going on a cruise w/o my significant other, I would be wanting to be in contact every day as well (and I have been married for 5 years). Do what works best for you.

Give it another 10 years lol.

I was thinking the same thing. My husband'll be out of town next week, and we'll talk every evening. Not because I think he'll be out cheating on me and I want to be sure of his whereabouts -- because if he wanted to do that, he could certainly do it in the 23 hours and 50 minutes each day that he's NOT talking to me -- not because either of us wants to control the other's actions -- but because I love him and want to be in contact with him.

Archived