"LIVE" From Carnival Glory / June 14, 2010

Radio

Your pictures are so pretty! Is it cold? It didn't look like many ppl were swimming. Seems like they are just in the hot tubs.

Ha ha. . . You are right. I haven't viewed anyone in the2 main Pools. . . I saw a lot of kids in the Azure Pool (Solarium), a few times though.

The hot tubs have been pretty busy.

Radio

;);)

Hello everyone. . . We are approaching Halifax, NS. It appears to be very cloudy, and the forecast is for showers throughout the day. Halifax is a much bigger city than Saint John, and there will be a lot of things to do . . .rain or shine.:)

We are still about 30nm from port, so here is a map of our location. . .

There will be many pics of our arrival once we dock (Port side)

I have noticed that fellow Cruise Critic members have been asking about YTD on board, and I can tell you that I love it ! It is so nice to be able to go to dinner when ever you like. There are times when you go that it will always be a line (very similar to NCL, and RCI), but I asked the Hostess on the first day when to come when there is no line. So far she has been right everyday (630PM)

The food has been served hot, with no order errors, The wait staff have been excellent.

The server was unsure why I wanted coffee `with` my dinner instead of after dinner? :o

I am a big fan of “ Your Time Dining”, and I plan on doing the same process on my next cruise.

Radio

;);)

Our Location

MAP7AA.jpg

A little more detail. . . We are very close

MAP7BB.jpg

Radio..love your photos. How far is the City Market from the ship ? How do we get there ?

It's a quick 5 to 10 minute walk. You walk down the street that parallel the ship, and then make a right, walking halfway up the hill. It's on the left.

We walked through, were so hungry, found Billy's at the top of the market (facing the park), and had the BEST fish and chips, and chowder!

2741752210057720145GyAoIs_th.jpg

click to enlarge

It's a quick 5 to 10 minute walk. You walk down the street that parallel the ship, and then make a right, walking halfway up the hill. It's on the left.

We walked through, were so hungry, found Billy's at the top of the market (facing the park), and had the BEST fish and chips, and chowder!

click to enlarge

For those who might have walking difficulties with the hill you can enter Market Square at the end of Water Street and use the escalator/pedestrian bridge system that links all of the buildings and arrive at City Market indoors. Last Saturday I took the #1 bus to the Reversing Falls and on the return trip stayed on the bus to Kings Square and entered City Market from there and made my way back to the ship downhilll all the way. The bus ride was nice. On the way to the Falls you travel along Douglas Ave. which has some amazing Victorian gingerbread style homes. Most were in bad condition but you still could appreciate the architecture.

They had a Tim Horton’s, Starbuck’s, and a Java Moose Café.

Another great ride, Radio! You continue to outdo yourself and we all love it!

Glad to see you found some good coffee on and off the ship! ;)

Until later....thanks again! ;)

Hello everyone. . . We pulled into the harbor a little late today. We were scheduled to arrive at 9AM, but were tied up at Pier 21 by 930AM. The skies are dark, and cloudy and there is an 80% chance of showers all day.

I will walk up to the waterfront, (after a visit to Tim Horton’s) and try to get another Whale Watching tour if I can make the 1PM trip. The morning excursion was sold out quickly, and maybe I should have though ahead.

There is a lot to do downtown, so who knows ? I may do several things that I haven’t planned, so we will just see what the afternoon brings. We will wait for this afternoon to shop at all of the vendors at the Pier 21 Facility. (There are dozens of shops in there)

We must be back on board by 530PM for a scheduled 6PM departure.

Here are a few pics from our arrival. . . . Thanks for tuning in!

Radio

We approach the Port of Halifax slowly, under dark skies. . .

A3.JPG

We can see Pier 21 clearly, with Holland America Maasdam already tied up.

A5.JPG

We turn around and now the Starboard side of Carnival Glory inches closer to the Pier

A7.JPG

We are greeted today with a Bagpiper, and Drum duet.

A8.JPG

From the ship we can see the Westin Resort, and VIA Rail Station

A9.JPG

Here is the webcam image from the Westin of us at Pier 21

A1.jpg

I was watching on the webcam as the Glory came alongside, I ran outside and waved furiously but I doubt you could see me. I work on the other side of Halifax Harbour closer to the Bedford Basin in Dartmouth. Oh how I wish we could cruise out of Halifax :( Sorry about the weather but our gardens really need rain!

From the ship we can see the Westin Resort, and VIA Rail Station

A9.JPG

WOW! Does this take me back (11 years!). Don't know what possessed me, but we walked over to that station. Once inside, we came across a film crew and actors who were filming some soap opera.

When we came outside, we had a magnificent backdrop of the ship and got some great shots.

Then we got even greater ones from the Citadel up on the hill.

I have noticed that fellow Cruise Critic members have been asking about YTD on board, and I can tell you that I love it ! It is so nice to be able to go to dinner when ever you like. There are times when you go that it will always be a line (very similar to NCL, and RCI), but I asked the Hostess on the first day when to come when there is no line. So far she has been right everyday (630PM).

Glad you like YTD but it would be more accurate for you to say "It is so nice to be able to go to dinner whenever I like," since 6:30 pm suits you but is obviously an unpopular dining time (hence the availability of tables). I don't see why I would have to eat an hour or so earlier. The setup for YTD cannot possibly accommodate the guests. I never had such waits on NCL or Princess. I had waits of up to 25 minutes for a table and then extremely slow service. I would have changed to traditional dining (which is what I had for the first evening) but I needed to be out of the dining room by 9:00 pm one evening in order to watch the Tony Awards (thanks to the CBS station from Denver on channel 18).

Hope you have a great day in Halifax.

thanks for all the info and the great pics Radio....I am truly enjoying all the informationaabout Canada...I've only cruised there a couple of times...once on Carnival Victory a few years back and then last year the West Coast on the Mariner when they changed to a northern itin from the Mexico itin due to H1N1...I hope to get the opportunity to go again some day...

Glad you like YTD but it would be more accurate for you to say "It is so nice to be able to go to dinner whenever I like," since 6:30 pm suits you but is obviously an unpopular dining time (hence the availability of tables). I don't see why I would have to eat an hour or so earlier. The setup for YTD cannot possibly accommodate the guests. I never had such waits on NCL or Princess. I had waits of up to 25 minutes for a table and then extremely slow service. I would have changed to traditional dining (which is what I had for the first evening) but I needed to be out of the dining room by 9:00 pm one evening in order to watch the Tony Awards (thanks to the CBS station from Denver on channel 18).

Hope you have a great day in Halifax.

Hi cruisepup: couldn't you just have kept your tradiional dining and just went to the dining room Tony Awards night and asked if a table were available could you be seated there for just one night? there are always seats available in the dining room...sometimes even whole tables...just wondering

WOW! Does this take me back (11 years!). Don't know what possessed me, but we walked over to that station. Once inside, we came across a film crew and actors who were filming some soap opera.

When we came outside, we had a magnificent backdrop of the ship and got some great shots.

Then we got even greater ones from the Citadel up on the hill.

And that's Citadel Hill in the centre background of the photo.

click to enlarge

Thank you for the quick reply..

Archived