Dining Options and "Being Buttled" - Millennium Alaska Northbound

Justjayce

Hi,

Will be taking our second ever cruise. First time with Celebrity on June 25th Northbound to Alaska aboard Millenium. We booked a Celebrity Suite and are excited about "being buttled" by our butler.

I've searched as many posts as I could and there is some GREAT information here (and thank you to all of you who post that great info!) but I still have a few questions about formal nights.

My wife and I are not huge fans of formal nights, I always feel stuffy in suits but I will appear to happily wear them out of respect for the event. Wife feels the same - so I ask of you your opinions on the following:

1. We want to experience the Olympic Restaurant - would you book that instead of going to one of the formal nights to avoid an additional evening in the suit - or is the cusine that good that it makes sense to go to both formal nights and book Olympic for a third formal night.

2. Lets say on a formal night I wanted to be served dinner in my cabin. Is the cusine the same as what you would get in the MDR or would I have to pick from other choices.

We want to try and avoid 3+ formal nights if we can.

I thank you all in advance for your time and help :)

Jayce

Hi Jayce,

1) I didn't feel the food was much better on formal nights than on other nights. They had the lobster tail on one of the formal nights, as well as the baked alaska for dessert, but I didn't feel it was that much better than on other nights. I did enjoy the food and menus in the MDR every night.

2) You can order of the MDR menu during MDR hours, I read that you can ask your steward (or maybe buttler in your case) to get a copy of the menu for you, or just go to the MDR and look at the menu posted outside.

Hi,

Will be taking our second ever cruise. First time with Celebrity on June 25th Northbound to Alaska aboard Millenium. We booked a Celebrity Suite and are excited about "being buttled" by our butler.

I've searched as many posts as I could and there is some GREAT information here (and thank you to all of you who post that great info!) but I still have a few questions about formal nights.

My wife and I are not huge fans of formal nights, I always feel stuffy in suits but I will appear to happily wear them out of respect for the event. Wife feels the same - so I ask of you your opinions on the following:

1. We want to experience the Olympic Restaurant - would you book that instead of going to one of the formal nights to avoid an additional evening in the suit - or is the cusine that good that it makes sense to go to both formal nights and book Olympic for a third formal night.

2. Lets say on a formal night I wanted to be served dinner in my cabin. Is the cusine the same as what you would get in the MDR or would I have to pick from other choices.

We want to try and avoid 3+ formal nights if we can.

I thank you all in advance for your time and help :)

Jayce

RE: The Olympic- you would be expected to dress formal if you went there on a formal night

As far as your cabin is concerned you absolutely can have dinner served by your butler. He will offer the same menu that is being offered in the MDR and will serve you course by course just as they do in the MDR. You have a wonderful dining area in the Celebrity Suite for just this purpose. We did the same thing on our of our formal nights and it was really fun having the butler deliver our dinner that night. ENJOY!!!:D

So far no one has read the question correctly. OP knows they have to dress formally in the specialty restaurant on formal night. Where the confusion is, the OP is under the assumption that you have to dress formally in the Olympic even on non-formal evenings, but this is not true.

Agree with Txsloth (do you know Texas had Giant Sloths way back??).. the OP is asking about formal in the Olympic on non-formal nights. Personally, since it is an upscale experience, I dress up more than normal casual in the MDR. Might wear a sports jacket with a sweater or shirt/tie and wife in a cocktail or nice pants suit. Or something a bit up from the slacks and golf shirt (I don't golf so I should call it a Polo shirt...oh, I don't 'polo' either, oops).

But that is me. There are many 'dressy casuals' in the Olympic. enjoy and don't get too hung up on dress. You are on the right track, and I think it would be Great to have a nice dinner (formal night or not) served by a butler in such a nice venue as your suite. I personally hate Baked Alaska anyway, but you can get it in your room too!

Denny

...and when you return, please be sure to write a review and let us know if you missed having a balcony on your Alaska cruise. I am debating on reserving a sky suite for me and my mom for a 2012 Alaska cruise, but am debating that decision due to the lack of a balcony. Will look forward to your thoughts and opinions and THANKS!! (PS...We are eating in the Olympic on the first formal night on our 7/09/10 Millie AK cruise, too!)

Agree with Txsloth (do you know Texas had Giant Sloths way back??).. the OP is asking about formal in the Olympic on non-formal nights. Personally, since it is an upscale experience, I dress up more than normal casual in the MDR. Might wear a sports jacket with a sweater or shirt/tie and wife in a cocktail or nice pants suit. Or something a bit up from the slacks and golf shirt (I don't golf so I should call it a Polo shirt...oh, I don't 'polo' either, oops).

But that is me. There are many 'dressy casuals' in the Olympic. enjoy and don't get too hung up on dress. You are on the right track, and I think it would be Great to have a nice dinner (formal night or not) served by a butler in such a nice venue as your suite. I personally hate Baked Alaska anyway, but you can get it in your room too!

Denny

Agree...we don't necessarily dress "formal" for non formal nights in the specialty restaurants but we definitely dress more than just casual as many do....it's just a special night for us, especially in the "M" class ships...they are the BEST specialty restaurants at sea, in my humble opinion!!!

Thank you all for your help and advice. I was under the assumption that the Olympic required formal even on non-formal nights (was like that on Disney). I will definitely let you know how we enjoyed the CS. Will definitely get served by our butler on one formal night. It sounds like fun.

Thank you again!

On formal night, you are expected to be in fromal dress anywhere outside your cabin, including specialty restaurants. Yes, during dining room hours you can order anything off the dining room menu to your room.

You do not have to be in formal dress anywhere outside of your cabin on formal nights. You can eat in the casual dining venue and do not have to dress formal.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I was under the assumption that the Olympic required formal even on non-formal nights (was like that on Disney). I will definitely let you know how we enjoyed the CS. Will definitely get served by our butler on one formal night. It sounds like fun.

Thank you again!

You will have a wonderful time. The CS is so spacious....yes...it's missing the balcony but you'll be in Alaska so how much would you use it anyway? You will feel truly spoiled in that suite and the views from the floor to ceiling windows are spectacular!! Enjoy, have fun!!!:D

Archived