ES rate cancellation question...

tampabrat22

I have a bit of a problem and am not sure how to work it out. I am familiar with the basics of the ES terms, but this is a little different than any of the answers I was able to find when I did a search.

My cousin and I booked Cove Balcony cabins right next door to each other, mid ship, port side and we are VERY pleased with our cabins. Our other (single) cousin decided she would like to go too, so I offered to take my 18 yr old niece (as a bday & graduation present) so that she would not have to pay the single supplement rate. We were able to book them right across the hall in an inside, great location too! So fast forward to today, she (cousin) tells me she transferred positions at work and may have to cancel the cruise because she is unsure if she will be able to take off now.

So I am trying to figure out what my options would be. Without her, my neice can not be booked in the room alone due to her age, so if she cancels will my niece have to cancel too?

If I am able to find someone to go in my cousins place, is it possible for her to cancel and for us to book a new person (over 25 yrs old) into that bed?

I'm not sure what options are available and will be really upset if I have to change my room to fix this! Plus I really want to take my niece, she is so excited to go and I will just feel awful if I have to cancel her vacation:(

If the price is that good, your best option (IMO) is to have the person who cant go be a no show... just not show up at the port.

Otherwise yep, if you are not her guardian, your underaged neice has to have a adult in the cabin.

There are some possibilities of only losing $50 pp and having the credit held by Carnival... a few rare cases people have said they were able to get a supervisor to allow the credit to be held in the name of the person who paid the cruise, but it will take talking to the right person, as the credit otherwise would be issued to the person who didnt pay and isnt going.

I have thought like yours ... I would like to make a generous gesture and offer to pay for someone else, but have had occassions where if no money was involved, someone just says oh I cant go (and its no skin off them).

No matter what some of the deposit is gone, and solos have to pay 200% no matter what, since last thursday.... so the only way to get around it is to have the adult be a no show.

I wish I had better news for you ... sorry. There are NO NAME changes allowed with ES, any other rate you could change pax for $50, but not with ES... so no matter what the deposit is on the line.

Maybe talk to whomever you booked with and they can come up with a better solution than paying and having a no show....since its a inside, depends on the price if I woudl go ahead and pay or not.

I am with fire on this one.....leave the reservation alone and hold the cousin responsible for her share. Besides the ES rules, she is the one changing the plans and should be held responsible. Her decision should not be allowed to have a negative effect on your niece. That way the cousin has up to sail day to make the decision to go - or not to go. But either was your niece is protected.

So if the cousin is a no show, they will still allow my niece to go?

I do have paperwork stating I am her temporary guadian but I figured once she turned 18 that would no longer be valid (I've had temp. guardianship since she was 5 yrs old). I'm not worried about my cousin losing her money, she knew the consequences when we booked ES, I just want my niece to still be able to go somehow.

Yeah, booking the ES rate makes it scary to be generous:)! I always pay for my mother to cruise with us and she always goes so I really didnt think twice about booking my niece, but I guess my mistake was putting my trust in someone else (my cousin) to follow through with their plans. :(

If the cabin isnt paid in full, you might still get stuck with that, but because of the no name change rule, the deposit cant be changed to another person.

Iv got a friend Id like to invite, Im just worried something would come up and sorry, opps I cant go and there I would be alone in the cabin ...so I cruise with my sister for now, but she now has a b/f.

if someone didnt show up, they would still let your neice board, they wouldnt know until the final manifest goes in 90 minutes before sail and they dont kick people off the ship. At worst you could have to say you would be sleeping with her, and the purser's desk could put you in her cabin (even if you slept elsewhere). The purser's desk can always change people's cabins once you are onboard...but I wouldnt expect them to require it..I really dont. Just make sure her booking is linked to yours.

Those who say the cousin should be responsible, and to just have her a no-show...I don't see how this would work at all.

Based on the ticker of the OP, the cruise isn't at final payment yet. There's nothing forcing the cousin to make final payment at all, and if I were in that situation I personally wouldn't ever consider throwing more money out the window like that.

Those who say the cousin should be responsible, and to just have her a no-show...I don't see how this would work at all.

Based on the ticker of the OP, the cruise isn't at final payment yet. There's nothing forcing the cousin to make final payment at all, and if I were in that situation I personally wouldn't ever consider throwing more money out the window like that.

OP sounds confident that the cousin knows that she is responsible for the payment with her statement, "I'm not worried about my cousin losing her money, she knew the consequences when we booked ES...."

Cousin should pay up....niece should still go. Worse is the OP will have to list herself in the cabin with the niece - once they are on board....IF anyone even says anything!

So fast forward to today, she (cousin) tells me she transferred positions at work and may have to cancel the cruise because she is unsure if she will be able to take off now.

So I am trying to figure out what my options would be. Without her, my neice can not be booked in the room alone due to her age, so if she cancels will my niece have to cancel too?

I think you have now seen some of the options but you did say MAY have to cancel not does have to cancel. Hopefully she will talk to her new boss and explain she has a non refundable cruise and they will let her go. I know whenever I have changed supervisors or jobs I let them know up from that I have vacation booked.

If the cabin isnt paid in full, you might still get stuck with that, but because of the no name change rule, the deposit cant be changed to another person.

Iv got a friend Id like to invite, Im just worried something would come up and sorry, opps I cant go and there I would be alone in the cabin ...so I cruise with my sister for now, but she now has a b/f.

if someone didnt show up, they would still let your neice board, they wouldnt know until the final manifest goes in 90 minutes before sail and they dont kick people off the ship. At worst you could have to say you would be sleeping with her, and the purser's desk could put you in her cabin (even if you slept elsewhere). The purser's desk can always change people's cabins once you are onboard...but I wouldnt expect them to require it..I really dont. Just make sure her booking is linked to yours.

....and I doubt at that point they are checking birthdates and booking requirements!

OP sounds confident that the cousin knows that she is responsible for the payment with her statement, "I'm not worried about my cousin losing her money, she knew the consequences when we booked ES...."

Cousin should pay up....niece should still go. Worse is the OP will have to list herself in the cabin with the niece - once they are on board....IF anyone even says anything!

And I took that to mean that the cousin knows she will lose her DEPOSIT, not that she will fork over what's left and make final payment.

And I took that to mean that the cousin knows she will lose her DEPOSIT, not that she will fork over what's left and make final payment.

It would still probably be cheaper for the OP to make the final payment than to try and rearrange cabins and move people around at this late date or have to pay for a solo rate for someone.

Why can't your neice just stay in the cabin with you? All you would lose is the $50/pp, right? Or can you not add someone on?

It's something to look into for sure, since OP is before final payment ....assuming the cove balcony holds another person. ..or there is a cove balcony not booked they can all be moved to. Might be a higher rate for the neice though, even 3rd person on a balcony than the inside cabin ..but its worth asking about.

Might be a good idea

Let me see if I can answer every ones questions. We are before final payment and she owes about $200, I doubt she will pay the balance if she does have to cancel. I'd add my niece to my room if I could, but as far as I know, our cabin (2330) is only a quad and I have myself, mom and two kids. My cousin in the next door cabin also has four, so no room there either. Hopefully she will be able to get a definite answer from her job this week, I just want to be prepared if I do need to change anything, but I will hold out hope that I dont. Thanks for all the great suggestions and info!

Archived