How long is trip from Skagway to Emerald Island

Tx Sunshine

We are going to be in Skagway from 7:00 am til 9:00 pm. We are going on Carnival. From my understanding we have to be back at the ship by 8:00 pm at least. Does anyone know for sure? Also, we are renting a car to drive up to Carcross and to Emerald Lake. Just some sightseeing. However, we were going to do a Salmon Bake at 11:30 that morning. We haven't bought the tickets yet. They are supposed to tell us where they are located so we can drive to them. It's at Liarsville. So, I am not sure if we can afford that much time. I think we would be done there at 1:00 pm and then head up to Carcross, Yukon crossing, and Emerald Lake. Would we have time to do that at a reasonable speed? I don't want to fly thru and just drive straight to the lake and back to Skagway. We want to be able to sight see a little bit. Not spend too much time at each stop.

Please give me your opinions, so I can make a well educated decision on this excursion. I hate to miss it, but don't want to miss the lake either!

Thanks-please respond soon, as we are leaving out of here in the wee hours this coming Saturday!

It's Alaska or Bust!!!!!:D

Just did that trip last week. I believe Liarsville is located just outside Skagway. If I were you, I would not do the salmon bake, but instead spend about 6 hours or so doing the roundtrip to Emerald Lake. We stopped many times, following Murray's Guide (which was great by the way). We had lunch in the little place just past the desert and also spent time in Carcross after the tour busses left. It was a delightful day and we still had time to walk around Skagway later in the day.

Thanks MtnMarty,

We did purchase Murrays Guide. It is a great guide, I can't wait to go. We could still do 6 hours on that if we left at 1. Why do you suggest not doing the Salmon Bake? Have you done it before or any others?

Thanks!

I too would skip the salmon bake...rather spend your full day enjoying the wonderful scenic drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake and return. We did it and stopped lots both ways for photo ops and to enjoy the day. We had a great lunch at Caribou Crossing where they have a great museum of local wildlife (stuffed) - dog treams and you can enjoy s sled ride as well as a very nice gift shop...

Then of course we wondered around Carncross and enjoyed an ice cream (our dessert).

At the summit we stopped for a snowball fight as well as photos.

In all we spent the full day with the car before returning to Skagway - at around 4 in the afternoon. And yes we were some of the first off the ship and the first ones to reach Sour Dough Car rentals.

Do a salmon bake at one of the other ports of call. If you wait till 1 pm to leave you are going to feel rushed and what if something like a breakdown happens.

On our 5/29 trip on the Diamond, we rented a car from Avis in Skagway - picking it up shortly before 8:AM. Luckily we were first in line, with reservations, and the woman at the office opened a bit earlier as the line out front was getting very long. Got a Toyota Highlander.

We immediatley headed out of town, stopping along the road for pictures at every scenic view point. We took pictures of Emerald Lake, then backtracked a bit to Caribou Crossing for some energy food - coffee & ice cream. Then Princess, Clebrity and HAL tour busses began to fill the parking lot. From there we decided to push on to White Horse. Be sure to carry your passports.

The road trip got more exciting from that point - bears were feeding beside the road, so we stopped multiple times to see them. At White Horse we ate a late lunch at Subway, drove around the town and then toured an historic riverboat.

We took our time on the return drive, also saw more bears. Be sure to plan your stops to avoid large tour bus crowds. Got back to Skagway about 4:30, got gas and returned the car. We then wandered around Skagway for an hour - how many gift shops fillied with similar merchandise can you tolerate?

Darcy

The drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake, driving pretty much straight through with few stops, is about an hour and a half to two hours.

Leaving at 1 PM and being back at 7 PM could theoretically be done, driving straight through and watching the scenery through the windows.

However, the way we have done it twice, we take about four hours from Skagway to Emerald Lake, then about two to three hours at Caribou Crossing, then an hour and a half back, effectively using up the whole day.

We visit the old graveyard and the Dyea lookout, make lots of picture stops, get out and stretch our legs and admire the scenery, and have a great day.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/skagway.html

The thing about Alaska these days is that there are sooooo many things to do, and most of them are great. You just have to pick and choose, and leave some for your NEXT cruise to Alaska!

Have a GREAT cruise!

I too do not recommend your salmon bake plan- I also understand this is NOT, any longer, available outside the Skagway tours and not open for drive ups?

The biggest problem is the poor timing, you are considering. There are salmon bakes out of Juneau and interior Alaska to consider?

I don't have personal experience with Liarsville, but it is a like you might expect, some 'good' salmon with some entertainment. While 7 hours until departure sounds like a long time, the tradeoff may be not going all the way to Emerald Lake - you know how you get that "its getting late" feeling when you know you have to be somewhere. Or not wanting to stop at this point or that, because you want to make sure you get back in time.

I don't think anyone here doesn't think you can't do it, its just a question that since you went to the effort of doing it, they want to get the max out of it. We did it just a few weeks ago and it was a great drive (took us just over 8 hours) and we left after the tour buses so we could have time to ourselves on the way back. Worked great for us, but we also stopped a lot, and spent time at a few places, including caribou crossing to do the dog ride.

But I always point out that you need to make decisions you are comfortable with. It is your cruise.

Some ideas of what to expect

Archived