Alaska Questions

Georgetown Mike

I am considering my first Alaska cruise this summer and know I need to book soon. I am conidering either a seven day N/S or a seven day inside passage returning to either Vancouver or Seattle. For those of you that have done both itineraries what are the pros and cons of each?

Thank you for your help.

Dear Mike,

The primary advantages of a roundtrip from either Seattle or Vancouver is that the airfare is usually much less, and scheduled far more often.

The one thime that we went to Seward, we found that we had to get off the ship very early in order to take the 2-3hr bus ride to the airport. Actually we had to stop in Anchorage at a terminal and take a cab the last mile or two.

The bus ride is through beautiful countryside, and we saw many wild animals along the way, but getting off the ship at 7am was not so fun. Then we had a 4hr wait at the airport for our flight (the only United flight out southbound).

Conversely, it is very simple to get to Sea-Tac or Vancouver (not as easy) airport, and the flights southbound were scheduled about every hour (to San Diego either through LA or San Francisco on United).

We're booked on the Oosterdam in July.

There isn't much to see that is different (College Fjord is not all that different from Glacier Bay) but it does offer a second glacier experience.

My personal view is that the worst day of a cruise is the morning you have to disembark, so why make it even less pleasant by complicating your trip home.

David

There is NO WRONG choice for Alaska. All options go by too quickly.

The best advantages to Inside passage round trip are less expensive airfare, more time in calmer inside passage waters, and it doesn't book up quite as quickly as N/S since there are not so many cruisetour combos of extended time periods.

The best advantage to N/S or S/N is the opportunity to extend your time on either end and explore further inland and the opportunty to go deeper in to Alaska.

Either way you are likely to long to return to Alaska and then you can choose the other... so I'd focus on best available options for the time you want and the Ship you prefer. If that still doesn't narrow it down, then just find out what is actually still available and costs involved... there is no wrong choice.:D

We loved the northbound Vancouver to Seward. The scenery just keeps getting more spectacular as you go. Glacier Bay is amazing, and not to be missed, IMO. We rode the train from Seward into Anchorage. It takes a bit longer, but is more remote and offers a different scenery than the highway. Also, we were amazed at the number of smaller glaciers we passed along the way. However, as stated, you can hardly do wrong whichever itinerary you take.

Mike,

The time frame was the first consideration for our first trip to Alaska. The second was what could we see in this time frame. The third was the cost and ease of getting to the cruise ship. We decided on the May 29 cruise from Seattle (roundtrip) on the Amsterdam which will take us to great ports (plus Glacier Bay) on a beautiful ship from the airport where we could get a good price and great flight times. I did lots of reading on this board and also got a cruise book from Holland. I decided on the excursions by reading the posts of many who so kindly give their experiences on this board. We have everything scheduled and we can't wait to see Alaska. I wish we could stay longer and do the interior (Denali) which many suggest but that will be another cruise. Also, go to the "Alaska" destination on this board. It is a wealth of information and will answer so many questions. Hope this helps.:)

Mike,

We decided on the May 29 cruise from Seattle (roundtrip) on the Amsterdam which will take us to great ports (plus Glacier Bay) on a beautiful ship from the airport where we could get a good price and great flight times.

Time2sail, we did the same trip last year (for the same reasons as you), only about three-four weeks earlier. We fell in love with the Amsterdam and thoroughly enjoyed the itinerary - especially Glacier Bay. A must-see! We said the only thing we'd do differently next time was leave about three weeks later when more wildlife was out and about (although bald eagles were everywhere). Looks like you have that covered! Have a great trip!

Hi Mike-

I live in Anchorage so can help with any questions regarding this part of the state. I can tell you that we have a brand new train terminal at the airport. Cruise passengers coming in from Seward can go directly to the airport now with no stop off downtown. It is a stunning trip.

Mary

Mike, the round-trip from Seattle does not do a true "inside passage"; you will be west of Vancouver Island in the Pacific. Not a bad trip, but also not the same as a round-trip from Vancouver.

If you decide to do the one-way you might consider southbound Seward to Vancouver. That way you get the longer flight out of the way when you have the time zone differences in your favor.

Didn't notice where you're from, but unless you're from the west coast I'd suggest going at least a day in advance to get past the jet lag. (This is true whichever route you choose.) Plus, this will give your luggage a chance to catch up if it doesn't arrive when you do. Nothing worse than being at sea with no opportunity to change clothes. :eek:

We have done it every which way - round trip from Vancouver - round trip from San Francisco (14 days) - North to South - and North to Seward and then back down to Vancouver (14 days).

Loved them all.

You might consider North to South. Do your own round trip air to Vancouver. Than have HAL get you a one way flight from Vanouver to Anchorage - stay overnight there before transfering down to Seward for the cruise.

Haven't done our Alaska cruise YET, but one thing to consider is that as a US resident you'll pay more to fly RT to Vancouver than you would to Seattle. (I don't mind because Vancouver is beautiful and I have relatives there; we're going inside passage roundtrip Vancouver, on HAL Zaandam in August.

I am considering my first Alaska cruise this summer and know I need to book soon. I am conidering either a seven day N/S or a seven day inside passage returning to either Vancouver or Seattle. For those of you that have done both itineraries what are the pros and cons of each?

Thank you for your help.

We have always done the one way cruises until last summer. We were able to sync with DD and DSIL's schedules and the five of us (DD#2) did near B2B from Vancouver.

Since I was paying, I needed to use FF mileage to get there. I quickly discovered that all of the Vancouver flights (as well as the Anchorage ones, before we decided on B2B) required double mileage. So to avoid the higher mileage, we flew into Seattle, rented a oneway minivan, and drove to Vancouver. Pretty cost effective for 5, much moreso than amtrack or bus. When we returned to Vancouver, we picked up another minvan and drove back to Seattle.

I did say a "near" B2B. We were northbound on the Vision of the Seas, had a 3 night layover that we spent touring Kenai, then caught the Southbound Sun Princess.

The combo did several things for us. 1) addressed the high mileage cost (or real dollar if you aren't using FF miles) for Vancouver/Anchorage flights. 2) gave us two cruises. 3) the bonus of 3 nights exploring Kenai. In fact, the trip sounded so good to SIL's parents, they and his sister joined us for the Nortbound cruise (though they flew Vancouver/Anchorage as they have TONS of FF mileage).

If you have more time (and money) to spend you can lengthen your Alaska land portion, and make your own Cruisetour at a lower per person cost than allowing the cruise lines to handle the land.

I have sailed Alaska 10 times with 2 trips this year coming up. Round trip Vancouver is far superior to round trip Seattle especially on HAL due to their routing be more outside passage. My priority is scenic sailing, the round trip Seattle cruises just fall short in this aspect. I never do a one way without adding at least another week (2 more in August :) ) for interior Alaska touring, few people make frequent trips to Alaska TAKE ADVANTAGE of being all the way there. AND in no way do I ever recommend just passing though Seward- a complete gem in Alaska travel opportunities with a top attraction of Kenai Fjords boat tours. Don't miss it!

It's extremely easy to transfer between Seattle and Vancouver, cruiseline contracted buses, Amtrak, Quick Shuttle and one way car rentals- you will want a DOWNTOWN Vancouver drop off/pick up NOT AIRPORT. I have rented from National, Avis, Budget and Alamo. Hertz is also there.

Archived