Gay environment on Oceania

shaq

My partner and I are booked for the 16 day 1/06/06 Nautica sailing out of Hong Kong to Singapore.

Has any gay person/couple/partner sailed with Oceania?

If so, how were you treated? How was the ship board gay environment? Has anyone suffered, experienced and or noticed any anti-gay vibes amongst the crew and/or passengers? If so, what did you experience? Were the anti-gay vibes systemic or related to individual passengers or crew?

If you observed or felt any anti-gay vibes, would you sail on Oceania again?

Star Princess; Alaska; 9-09-2004

Celebrity Infinity; Panama Canal and South America; 01-03-2005

GaryKool asked this same question over on the Oceania board -- got favorable responses, so I'd say there aren't any problems. Give it a read at this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=116380

We are on a couple of cruises after you, the 2/5/06 HK to Bangkok cruise. Also, Digby has posted a recent review of his South America cruise on Oceania -- he liked it and there weren't any low points, as I recall.

I look at oceania as sort of Seabourn lite or Seadream lite, or

radisson lite - too many non-included things, but service tries very hard.

IMHO Radisson should buy one or two of their ships and make them over into more classy RSSC style ships...

We were on Oceania in December for 12 days. Oceania has very nice ships, with outstanding food. It is not all-inclusive (you will pay for all alcohol, sodas, bottled water, and laundry). Disagree with thulewx that this makes it less classy. We are not heavy drinkers, so for us all-inclusive isn't such a great deal. Several of our fellow passengers who had been on RSSC as well as Oceania felt the food on Oceania was slightly better -- but that they would be very happy on either line. Crew members were gay friendly; the assistant cruise director made a special effort to meet us and invited us to dinner at her table. 99% of the passengers were great; nothing systemic. We would definitely go again.

We were on Oceania in December for 12 days. Oceania has very nice ships, with outstanding food. It is not all-inclusive (you will pay for all alcohol, sodas, bottled water, and laundry). Disagree with thulewx that this makes it less classy. We are not heavy drinkers, so for us all-inclusive isn't such a great deal. Several of our fellow passengers who had been on RSSC as well as Oceania felt the food on Oceania was slightly better -- but that they would be very happy on either line. Crew members were gay friendly; the assistant cruise director made a special effort to meet us and invited us to dinner at her table. 99% of the passengers were great; nothing systemic. We would definitely go again.

Besides the fact that Oceania is not all-inclusive, which I agree is not a good deal for non-drinkers ... it's the cabins that are far inferior to the ships of RSSC, Seabourn, and Silversea. Oceania's standard cabins are just that, standard. Standard cabins on RSSC, Seabourn, and Silversea are all suites ... and most all have balconies. We are also talking 250-300 passengers on Seabourn and Silversea as opposed to 600+ on Oceania.

I'm not saying Oceania is a bad cruise line, in fact they are probably quite excellent (a notch above Celebrity and HAL). But it's these reason why I place them in the Upper-Premium category as opposed to luxury.

Ernie

As I posted, my partner and I sailed for 17 days on the Insignia in December, 2004 around South America and to Antarctica. (Another local gay couple were also on the trip with us as were several other gay people.) Although there were no FOD parties, I never felt or saw any antigay attitudes or actions from any passengers or staff. I think it was the best cruise we have been on so far. Food and service were top notch. We had a Penthouse suite which was very comfortable. One of the best aspects of the trip was that there were no formal nights. Resort casual was the rule of every day. Some people dressed for dinner on nights like Christmas and New Year's Eve, but most didn't. Playing dressup is not for us, but we like elegant surroundings, food, and wine. This line fits us well. We have booked a 3/06 cruise from Beijing to Hong Kong in an Owners Suite on the Nautica.

• 2 months later...

Hey guy - my partner and I just booked the Nautica - 2/5/06 - Hong Kong to Bangkok . . . you are on this cruise also - right? We are interested in doing the Angkor Wat excursion but Oceania can't tell me anything about it so I can't arrangement my air . . . .do you know anything about it?

Mike

Hey guy - my partner and I just booked the Nautica - 2/5/06 - Hong Kong to Bangkok . . . you are on this cruise also - right? We are interested in doing the Angkor Wat excursion but Oceania can't tell me anything about it so I can't arrangement my air . . . .do you know anything about it?

Mike

Hey Mike --

Glad to know there's more family on board! I take it you are planning a pre or post cruise visit to Angkor Wat -- I haven't looked into it at all as we are only planning a few days in the departure and arrival cities to cushion the cruise.

I do have a friend who was originally planning to go to the ruins post cruise but has since decided not to go -- he might have done some research on going on your own. Drop me a note via e-mail and I'll forward it on -- (my handle)at(yahoo.com). For air we opted for the air/onboard credit and arranged our own flights. Still waiting to book pre- and post-cruise hotels though.

There's also a Yahoo group that has formed for the cruise -- I can send you the link via reply e-mail. Looking forward to seeing you on the ship!

Steve and Patrick

Steve & Patrick,

You'll be in good company w/DESTCRZ and partner! We met them here on Cruise Critic 3 years ago and have since sailed 4 cruises with them, with our 5th coming up next month.

Hi Mike,

Joe & Jeff here - we'll be on the 2/5/06 Nautica trip as well our first on Oceania although we did sail Nautica when she was the R5. Beautiful ship!

We've sailed twice with Steve and Patrick - looking forward to our third cruise together. :D

Cheers,

Joe & Jeff

WOW! - 6 of us so far . . .and trust me, before it's over BEAV and other half will be on it with us also!!!!!

Steve and Patrick - YOU'VE GOT MAIL!!!!

Joe & Jeff - welcome to you guys also . . . .

This will be our first cruise on any of the "R" vessels - really looking forward to it. Got the air arranged last night - by the time we get back home we will have done "around the world" - (I know I am going to regret saying it that way - some of the "friends" I have on these boards i.e. BEAV DAM1050)

Mike . . . . and Bob too!

Joe and Jeff - you said you've sailed Nautica when she was the R5 - just curious have you guys sailed Oceania before?

Steve and Patrick - have you guys sailed Oceania?

What two cruises did you guys do together???? . . . . too many questions, huh?

Mike

Joe and Jeff - you said you've sailed Nautica when she was the R5 - just curious have you guys sailed Oceania before?

Steve and Patrick - have you guys sailed Oceania?

What two cruises did you guys do together???? . . . . too many questions, huh?

Mike

Mike & Bob,

We have not sailed Oceania, but anxiously have wanted to since they started sailing. We were booked on the March 2004 Transatlantic on Regatta but had to cancel.

We first cruised with Steve & Patrick on Celebrity Constellation from Barcelona to Dover in May 2002, then again on Constellation Transatlantic this past September.

Joe & Jeff

And DESTCRZ, just to complete the loop, my partner and I sailed with Steven, Patrick, Joe and Jeff on the Constellation last Fall, and had dinner last Sat. with Steve & Patrick and others going on the Oceania with you next year, and am having coffee with BEAV this Saturday in The WC! We're hoping to see Joe and Jeff when our ship docks in Astoria this Summer, and the gang is still trying to recruit us for the Oceania. Small world!

And DESTCRZ, just to complete the loop, my partner and I sailed with Steven, Patrick, Joe and Jeff on the Constellation last Fall, and had dinner last Sat. with Steve & Patrick and others going on the Oceania with you next year, and am having coffee with BEAV this Saturday in The WC! We're hoping to see Joe and Jeff when our ship docks in Astoria this Summer, and the gang is still trying to recruit us for the Oceania. Small world!

Oh My God!

That's it, DESTCRZ, you and Bob **HAVE** to fly out for the weekend to THE WC. And Steve & Patrick must BART on out, too!

Small world indeed!!! :D :D

I'm glad pressure is being exerted to get you and Ed on the Oceania trip too! It's a great itinerary....

Joe

Here is our motley crew from the Summit 2003 Panama Canal sailing - you can assign names to faces at will - doesn't really matter with this crew.

103236082pQataL_ph.jpg

I did find these GREAT pics out there!!!!

__tn_Steve+%26+Patrick.jpg?bc.i.bCBWELo7in.

__tn_Joe+%26+Jeff+-+Hong+Kong.jpg?bc.i.bCBT5kpnlli

hey guys - can anyone else see the pics I posted above???? . . . . BEAV says he can't see them . . . when I go out and come back in I can still see them, but it may be because I posted them . . . just curious!!!

Mike

hey guys - can anyone else see the pics I posted above???? . . . . BEAV says he can't see them . . . when I go out and come back in I can still see them, but it may be because I posted them . . . just curious!!!

Mike

Mike,

I can't see them - just red X's... :(

Joe

Archived