Aft balcony cabins--pluses or minuses?

CruiseHawk

FYI...I am an aft girl, I will book a cruise based on aft availability alone. I love the larger balcony, view, aft wake and the colors in the water. With that said and many cruises in aft staterooms I was surprised and disappointed when I entered my aft stateroom on the Voyger of the Seas. This is hard to admit because I am very loyal to RCI.

I was in the aft, center of the ship, several years and cruises ago so I don't recall the exact stateroom. There is a vary large span of battleship gray deck between your balcony rail and where the battleship gray ends there is another rail at the aft of the ship. The "gray deck" we will call it is very reflective and we were looking through two sets of deck railing to see the water. Other passengers were so upset to see the lay out of the aft cabins that they climbed over their rail to get to the rail at the back of the ship to enjoy the aft view they thought they were going to have. FYI...THIS GOES AGAINST RCI SAFTEY POLICY!!! The water view felt like it was off in the distance. Other family members that had balconies mid ship on the same deck had been upset when they booked that there were NO aft balcony staterooms available. They booked midship, same deck and were thrilled they had a midship balcony instead of our view. I must admit I offered to change rooms after I saw my view (afterall they wanted an aft when they originally booked)and not one of my family members was will to take the aft.

Remember we all have opinions and my opinion had always been, "The aft is the BEST!", now my opinion is "Not all aft cabins are created equal". Ship design can make a big difference in the view you will enjoy.

UberCruiseQueen,

You are SO right! I just booked an aft balcony on Carnival Freedom and am hoping that we are not too removed from the wake... sometimes the higher up you go the further away you get due to the way the balconies are tiered, hope this is not the case with the Freedom since we are on deck 8 and I think it is the highest deck of aft balconies, just under the Lido deck.

Have you found a good 2nd-best alternative when the afts on a ship are too far from the water? I thought maybe one of the balconies on the bump-out sections on RCL Radiance class ships might do it..? especially when I found those corner balconies all booked up 18 months before the cruise date...?

We booked an Aft balcon on the Carnival Victory cabin 8435......

any information would be appreciated if you know anything about the noise/ vibration... sure would not want to listen to my DH all wek if it is obnoxious! thanks a bunch...susan

I have read all the glowing reports on having an aft cabin-we were upgraded to one and were in the center right over the wake. At first we loved the cabin and the view however we sudenly found ourselves with soot everwhere. Every day the balcony was covered in soot and became unusable-the table and chairs were covered in it and even when we complained it was a daily occurrence. This might have been due to the placement of the funnel which spews soot 24/7 and on a larger ship may not create this problem. However for us it spoiled the cabin location.

Cruising goldenagers

On our three cruises, all on Voyager, we have booked aft cabin 1388. The balcony is spacious and we love to just sit and watch the wake. We had two chaise and two chairs with a small patio style table. I had planned on booking another cabin this past Feb. but, my husband is used to this one, he can find his way back "home" and not get lost :).

Enjoy your cruise.

Pantherfan,

Thanks for the tip about the stateroom photo site. Fun! It's too bad Holland America Lines are not included.:)

Hi all, I created a web site specifically for Holland America Lines Stateroom/Cabins in August 2009. I keep it maintained with photos and descriptions (good and bad) from Cruise Critic Members, and others, including stock photos from HAL.

The CC hosts have it as a Sticky near the top of the HAL boards so if you cannot remember the link you can always find it at the HAL boards.

If you'd like to see them go here: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/

Joanie

FYI...I am an aft girl, I will book a cruise based on aft availability alone. I love the larger balcony, view, aft wake and the colors in the water. With that said and many cruises in aft staterooms I was surprised and disappointed when I entered my aft stateroom on the Voyger of the Seas. This is hard to admit because I am very loyal to RCI.

I was in the aft, center of the ship, several years and cruises ago so I don't recall the exact stateroom. There is a vary large span of battleship gray deck between your balcony rail and where the battleship gray ends there is another rail at the aft of the ship. The "gray deck" we will call it is very reflective and we were looking through two sets of deck railing to see the water. Other passengers were so upset to see the lay out of the aft cabins that they climbed over their rail to get to the rail at the back of the ship to enjoy the aft view they thought they were going to have. FYI...THIS GOES AGAINST RCI SAFTEY POLICY!!! The water view felt like it was off in the distance. Other family members that had balconies mid ship on the same deck had been upset when they booked that there were NO aft balcony staterooms available. They booked midship, same deck and were thrilled they had a midship balcony instead of our view. I must admit I offered to change rooms after I saw my view (afterall they wanted an aft when they originally booked)and not one of my family members was will to take the aft.

Remember we all have opinions and my opinion had always been, "The aft is the BEST!", now my opinion is "Not all aft cabins are created equal". Ship design can make a big difference in the view you will enjoy.

Similar situation on RCI Mariner. Center aft cabin on 7th deck. No sun and little view as the superstructure blocked everything out.

My fault as I did not do my homework and assumed is would be as great as th corner aft cabin we had on Brilliance in the Med.

Nice cabin and balcony but with obstructed view and sun. BTW..the ship was great and we still had fun!

When we did an Alaskan cruise on RCCL the captain turned the boat around so the aft was closest to glaciers and swung it from side to side. It was amazing.

DOn't know if they always do this. I'll be in an aft on the Star in OCtober and can't wait!!

We just got back from Alaska and our room was just below the Bridge. Best viewing area for Glaciers. The balcony was 8 x 11 minimum and didn't cost us any extra either.

On Carnival Spirit class ships, deck 4, 4237 and 4228, which are the aft wraps are the best. Very limited soot because you have full cover. Can fit several lounge chairs. But the best part is the fact they are basically 3 rooms. There is a separate bedroom, living room area and vanity section. Then a walk in closet and bath with jacuzzi tub and double sinks. We have had these suites twice and will have it again on our 15 day to Hawaii. We cruise to be away from everything since we are both on call 24/7. We like to sit and read, watch TV, play cards and be pampered. These suites fulfill all those requirements. Yes, there is some vibration, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Here is a link to some awesome pictures of 4237 on the Spirit: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563301753nokqMQ

BTW, the pics are not of us, but these pics were the reason we went after this cabin and will continue to book it any time we can.

The future cruise rep from Princess encouraged us to consider an aft cabin for an upcoming cruise aboard the Emerald Princess. We took her suggestion and enjoyed our 10 days visting various Caribbean ports. One of the best reasons for choosing an aft cabin is the large, square balcony. A round table and four (yes, count 'em) chairs were comfortably situated on our balcony. Perhaps the most beautiful (and sad) scene was leaving Aruba, our final port. We were able to see the pier as the Emerald slowly sailed away. Aft cabins are usually snatched up quickly but if you book early enough, you may be able to secure one of these beauties!!

For my part, aft cabins are preferred for the "white noise" of the engine, vibration of the props. You're not awakened by sudden, rude noise, like the 3:00 a.m. noisy drunks, or the annoying early risers, calling to each other in the hallway. Midship cabins are the smoothest, but the aft gets less motion than forward cabins.

We were on the New NCL Jade March of 2008 and had gradually booked our way up to an aft small suite for 2 back to back cruises, so we were in the Mediteranian in an aft cabin for 24 days!. No vibration, the wake was so calming but the very best part was sailing back out of Venice at 2 PM with the city in the back ground and all these small vessels sending us on our way. We are hooked on river crusing Europe right now but when we go back to big ship crusing we will definitely want a nice quiet aft cabin. As far as we are concerned " once you've been aft you never go back"!

The future cruise rep from Princess encouraged us to consider an aft cabin for an upcoming cruise aboard the Emerald Princess. We took her suggestion and enjoyed our 10 days visting various Caribbean ports. One of the best reasons for choosing an aft cabin is the large, square balcony. A round table and four (yes, count 'em) chairs were comfortably situated on our balcony. Perhaps the most beautiful (and sad) scene was leaving Aruba, our final port. We were able to see the pier as the Emerald slowly sailed away. Aft cabins are usually snatched up quickly but if you book early enough, you may be able to secure one of these beauties!!

Which cabin # were in you? We have an aft cabin booked on the Crown coming up. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

We sailed the Inside Passage NB on Island Princess in May 2009. We had room C727 which was the last cabin on the right side of the ship. We had a mini-suite that has a larger balcony. Although uncovered, we spent many hours a day on the balcony viewing the beautiful landscape not only on the side of the ship, but because of the location, we could see off the back of the ship as well.

It was very quiet, almost no foot traffic and no motion to speak of. I wore a pedometer every day and we clocked the distance to the Horizon food court as .25 miles each way taking the stairs. So, we ate EVERYTHING we wanted, took the stairs when we could, and neither of us gained any weight on the trip.

We loved the location so much that we booked the same cabin on the Coral Princess for a May 2011 Alaska Cruise. I guess that tells how much we liked the location! Although small, our avatar shows us on our balcony in 2009.

Any one have any thoughts about getting an aft balcony for a March cruise to Cozumal and vicinity? I'm worried it will be to hot and the side balcs might be cooler with the wind.

(we are from the PNW and hot for us is 80, it looks like it will be 85ish...)

Which ship? It does make a difference. Some Princess and Carnival ships have a problem with soot and ash. Some RCI ships have a metal aft structure that inhibits clear views. And so on.

Please post again and we will try to help.

As far as heat in March, the Western Caribbean is almost always hot, or it will seem so to anyone coming from the northern tier of states. The average in the Caribbean will be in the 80's with humidity at lower levels than in the summer. A cold front could always lower the temps, of course.

We have had an aft cabin on the Millenium for the carib and the Summit for the med. Loved them both. The cabin just feels bigger with the larger balcony. I felt some vibration while docking and pulling out of port but nothing substantial. With an NCL cruise(Dawn) to Bermuda booked next summer we have the choice of a midship deck 10 or an aft cabin for the same price. And to make the decision more difficult...we could choose the minisuite mid ship for about 500 dollars more.

My question is whether the journey to Bermuda is rougher and therefore not as ideal to book an aft cabin no matter how much larger the balcony is. Any thoughts would be great. There has been lots of discussion on many of the cruiselines on this thread but i havent seen much for NCL or a Bermuda destination.

Thanks!

Which cabin # were in you? We have an aft cabin booked on the Crown coming up. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

We had C753 on both the Crown and the Caribbean Princess. Best aft balcony on any sailing we ever did on the aft.

On Carnival Spirit class ships, deck 4, 4237 and 4228, which are the aft wraps are the best. Very limited soot because you have full cover. Can fit several lounge chairs. But the best part is the fact they are basically 3 rooms. There is a separate bedroom, living room area and vanity section. Then a walk in closet and bath with jacuzzi tub and double sinks. We have had these suites twice and will have it again on our 15 day to Hawaii. We cruise to be away from everything since we are both on call 24/7. We like to sit and read, watch TV, play cards and be pampered. These suites fulfill all those requirements. Yes, there is some vibration, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

Here is a link to some awesome pictures of 4237 on the Spirit: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563301753nokqMQ

BTW, the pics are not of us, but these pics were the reason we went after this cabin and will continue to book it any time we can.

I agree 100%........those are the best cabins

We are sailing Star Princess in Oct. and we have been upgraded to a C Oceanview aft cabin on the Aloha deck. We have 2 portholes instead of windows. Can anyone tell me anything plus or minus about this cabin?

Last Sept. we sailed the Alaska Inside Passage on the NCL Pearl and had cabin 10168 category BA, on the 10th deck at the back of the ship after recommendation from our TA. It was quiet, but the balcony was no bigger than other balcony cabins on port and starbird sides. We were somewhat disappointed, because our friends on the starbird side had much closer views of shore and wildlife coming and going. I would recommend a balcony on the starbird side of the ship when cruising to Alaska on NCL Pearl for the best shore and wildlife views--just my opinion.

My first two cruises were in aft corner cabins, and my third cruise will be too. DH agrees with me - only aft, and preferably corner.

Our first cabin was 7388 on Adventure of the Seas. The cabin, which we expected to be small, was adequate for our needs. But our balcony! OMG our balcony!!! It was almost twice the size of the cabin, mostly covered, with cross ventilation and built in shelves to put my cocktail glass! Perfection!! The aft superstructure was there, but didn't bother us in the least!

Our second cabin was 8168 on Serenade. There was no superstructure to compete with the view, but the balcony, while still large compared to side balconies (which we saw on a cabin crawl) was considerably smaller than the one on AOS.

My next cruise will be on Liberty, in 8710. Really looking forward to it.

The walk didn't cause any problems. Possibly that's because we regularly travel to Las Vegas, and some of the hotels there have extremely long walks to your room.

The vibration is something I only noticed when coming to a port in the morning. That was my cue to GET UP and look outside and see what I could see. On sea days, I slept probably til 7:30 or 8am (which, for me, is late.... although I must confess to looking out the curtains in the middle of the night during the potty visit just to see if there was anything interesting).

Archived