Sodas Brought OnBoard

Len3

HAL's policy is that you may bring aboard as much soda as you want - there is no charge. I am a caffine free Diet Pepsi freak, so you will see me with the pallet of 24 packs of Diet Pepsi! (Just kidding, we only bring on six cases.)

Not that I know of, unless there has been a complete change of policy in the past 7 months..

DH & I drink Diet Tonic every night before bedtime..The Quinine helps to relieve leg cramps...When we drive to the port we always bring some with us..While on our cruise I also purchase some in a port so we have enough for our entire cruise..

I used to drink only diet Pepsi & HAL only sells Coke products...Before I cut it out, we always brought a couple of six packs with us..Now I've cut out all soda completely except for the one glass of Tonic at night..

Believe,. Hal still has soda cards which you can purchase through ships services....

HAL has always permitted Wine, Soda (or Pop as some call it) & water to be brought on board..However if you take your own wine to the MDR, they will charge you a corkage fee of $18.00

Cheers....:)Betty

'

I just got back from Bermuda aboard the Veendam yesterday. We brought six Dr. Peppers, six Diet Cokes, and two bottles of wine; no charge to bring any of it or carry any soda around anywhere.

I don't drink alcohol, but my girlfriend would take a glass of wine with her to the main dining room for dinner each night and there was no charge for that either. Note: She took the glass of wine with her; she did not give them the bottle for them to pour the glass for her.

I brought a case of Lipton diet Green tea and a case of Sparkling Water. I didn't use it all and left it as a gift for mycabin stewards. They enjoyed that.

That's what I've been drinking to replace the old Diet Pepsi..

Lipton has small "green tea to go" packets that can be added to a bottle of water....My Friend got it for me last year..They tasted fine but the ones she got were not diet..

Figured, for our next cruise I would try to find the diet ones & use them with the ship's tap water..

Cheers.....:)Betty

That's what I've been drinking to replace the old Diet Pepsi..

Lipton has small "green tea to go" packets that can be added to a bottle of water....My Friend got it for me last year..They tasted fine but the ones she got were not diet..

Figured, for our next cruise I would try to find the diet ones & use them with the ship's tap water..

Crystal Light has some nice green tea flavors - peach-mango, raspberry, etc. I think most of them come in the individual packets.

Slightly off topic, but would you recommend taping a luggage tag directly on a 12 pack of diet caffiene free coke and a case of water and just leaving it with the porter? I'd rather not lug that around with me until cabin is available.

On the flip side, of those of you that have taped a luggage tag directly to your pop/water, did it arrive safely? I would hate to think the my soda ruined someone elses clothes, but I almost think it would transport safer if it WASN'T packed in my suitcase so the porters can see what it is.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Cheryl :)

Slightly off topic, but would you recommend taping a luggage tag directly on a 12 pack of diet caffiene free coke and a case of water and just leaving it with the porter? I'd rather not lug that around with me until cabin is available.

On the flip side, of those of you that have taped a luggage tag directly to your pop/water, did it arrive safely? I would hate to think the my soda ruined someone elses clothes, but I almost think it would transport safer if it WASN'T packed in my suitcase so the porters can see what it is.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Cheryl :)

Cheryl, Our local Supermarket gives us 4 bottle canvas bags with separate compartments if we purchase 4 bottles of wine..It is similar to this bag:

http://www.winestuff.com/acatalog/Nantucket_Cloudless_Sky_4_Bottle_Wine_Tote.html

We usually purchase the wine card for our cruises, so instead of wine on our last cruise, we wrapped 4 liters of tonic in bubble wrap & put them into the bag...We found a box which fit it perfectly.. DH taped it shut with the handles left out of the box so it could be easily carried..In large letters I wrote FRAGILE-Tonic Water on the box..We put a baggage tag on it & it was delivered safely to our cabin ...If your Supermarket or wine store gives them out they are also very handy to shop for soda etc in port..Believe you could even get 8 cans of soda in them..

We agree & don't pack them in our Luggage either..,Some Psgrs. give the porters cases of soda with baggage tags on them..Others bring folding rolling coolers with their soda & wine in them...Just be sure to mark it anyway you can so the Porters know that they should be handled ccarefully....BTW we also tip the porters well for our luggage & tonic & have never had a problem..

We have a roll-aboard bag (airplane carry-on size) that just about perfectly fits two 12-packs (one for me, one for DH). It's heavy, but we just roll it around until the staterooms are ready. Then I have an empty bag for stuff that I buy during the cruise. :)

I've been researching for my upcoming Disney cruise, and while they allow soda and liquor to be brought aboard, it must be in a carry-on. I'd worry about my own clothes, never mind others', if I packed large amounts of liquids in a checked bag. I'd also worry that a single 12-pack could get misplaced or wander off what with all the stuff that gets loaded on the ship.

We have a roll-aboard bag (airplane carry-on size) that just about perfectly fits two 12-packs (one for me, one for DH). It's heavy, but we just roll it around until the staterooms are ready. Then I have an empty bag for stuff that I buy during the cruise. :)

I've been researching for my upcoming Disney cruise, and while they allow soda and liquor to be brought aboard, it must be in a carry-on. I'd worry about my own clothes, never mind others', if I packed large amounts of liquids in a checked bag. I'd also worry that a single 12-pack could get misplaced or wander off what with all the stuff that gets loaded on the ship.

Great Thought.

Does anyone have any idea how the Soda Cards work/how much they charge?

The soda card is supposed to change to a new beverage card, but, for as long as HAL keeps the current soda card, here's the drill:

You can purchase it in advance, or once aboard the ship. It costs $20.70 for 20 glasses of soda. It's a punch card, so each time you get a glass of soda, one punch is taken off the card.

Each glass of soda is about 1/2 can. Sometimes it's fountain soda; sometimes it's from the can. If you want a full can, then use two punches. You are assured of a fresh can that way.

A can of soda purchased without the card is $1.95, plus 15% service charge, for a total of $2.24.

So, 10 cans of soda cost $22.40, as opposed to the equivalent 20 glasses for $20.70. The savings is negligible, but does exist.

Ruth: I've seen you give this answer so many times on different threads , you must have it as a template :).

Nah. It's just seared into my brain. Doesn't even take up many megabytes.

Archived