World cup?

jdaa

I should hope so! Normally you would, especially in Europe.... In the past I have been able to watch all the matches both in European and in World Cup.

Marja

With most of the ship Captains being from Europe, my strong bet would be that they will be working hard to make sure these telecasts are available on the ship. This is big, big in Europe. It's like the World Series and Super Bowl all rolled together in one package with a bright red bow.

If you are cruising in Europe, the key games will be aired in the same or nearly same time zone. South Africa's time zone matches the main part of Europe. Here is the schedule while we are on our Norway Coast cruise: Quarter-finals July 2-3, Semi-finals July 6-7 at Cape Town Green Point Stadium and Durban, Finals July 11 at Johannesburg Soccer City.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

oh..anyone who's been on odyssey lately ?? any world cup coverage there..we r on it during the semi finals and my husband will have a fit if he cannot see the games..Help:eek:

Stefarr, We are also on the Odyssey (3-10 July) and hoping to see some games. May need to find coverage on some of the Islands if not. What games is your husband keen to watch?

Nobody knows the early July schedules, yet, as the 32 teams need to qualify to be able to get in that final round of only sixteen teams. While on our July 1-16 cruise, here is the schedule: Quarter-finals July 2-3, Semi-finals July 6-7 at Cape Town Green Point Stadium and Durban, Finals July 11 at Johannesburg Soccer City.

Some of the traditional Europe favorites are struggling and not doing that well. From the New York Times, they have this headline: "As Europe’s Best Crumble, the Cracks Are Showing" with these highlights: "The Europeans regard themselves as all powerful in world soccer, and at the club level, they are. But by Sunday night, three of Europe’s soccer giants — France, England and Italy — appeared to be completely losing it at the World Cup. France’s squad was in anarchy. On Sunday, the players refused to practice after the striker Nicolas Anelka was expelled by the French Football Federation on Saturday for insulting the team’s coach. France, the winner of the World Cup in 1998 and always regarding itself as a contender to win it again, is virtually assured of following Anelka out of Africa as soon as it plays its final group match, against South Africa on Tuesday."

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/21/sports/soccer/21iht-WCFRANCE.html?ref=soccer

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thanks Terry,

My husband will watch any of them - regardless of who gets through.

Just wanted to check with the other poster to see if at the same level of "discernment" ..... but I was hoping in a tactful way....

Will wait and see.

Stefarr,

We are also on the Odyssey (3-10 July) and hoping to see some games. May need to find coverage on some of the Islands if not.

What games is your husband keen to watch?

Hi Flopsy

my husband is keen to watch all games..here he does not miss one..our country never even starts with the pre qualifiers :D so obviously he l be more than happy if England are in any of the games that week!I am not so sure..see reasons in above post;)

The problem with finding coverage will be the time..at 21 00 the ship will be about to leave port so I m really hoping Odyssey is showing the games..I told him that they are, so he s happy..

I l be in the bar..cheering whoever is winning!

Stephie

We are on the Odyssey next week and I've just posted a message asking if there is a daily newspaper on board that will give results.

It seems that the games are only being shown on Sojurn and I find that very odd.

I assume that the in-suite tv has a choice of channels and I would have expected at least one of the channels to be showing live games.

If not then I shall miss all of the last 16 games along with the quarter finals----having watched every game to date I do hope I get to see the rest, but I fear the worst.

We are on the Odyssey next week and I've just posted a message asking if there is a daily newspaper on board that will give results.

It seems that the games are only being shown on Sojurn and I find that very odd.

I assume that the in-suite tv has a choice of channels and I would have expected at least one of the channels to be showing live games.

If not then I shall miss all of the last 16 games along with the quarter finals----having watched every game to date I do hope I get to see the rest, but I fear the worst.

I am scouring the boards to try and find some news..sojourn only has been mentioned as showing them so far, the smaller ships no. However odyssey is a big sister so hopefully??? I am trying to send seabourn a message via the already booked link in their webpage but there is no contact email. I l try the generic one and see what I get..will post ASAP

Now that USA are still in the game ,there might be more interest in the World cup :)

If somebody is interested in the World Cup football.... it would be me! I've sent an email to the Odyssey and will let you know if they answer me. I definitely want to see the final between Holland (;=) ) and ........!

Marja

England---or more likely Argentina, Brazil or Germany.

I'm crossing everything in hope that we get a 'yes' from Seabourn.

Someone from last weeks cruise which ended Saturday should know as games were played all last week.

Apparently NO World Cup on Odyssey!

I wrote Guest Relations the following:

Dear Seabourn friends!

Also on behalf of many soon to be Seabourn Odyssey guests, I want to express my disappointment about the fact that apparently the World Cup is not available on the Seabourn Odyssey, while the guests on the Sojourn are able to watch the matches.

On channel 4 in every suite and in the crew cabins. major games are shown in the main lounge and every other game they show in the conference rooms, for those who want to watch with others.

In the past we have always been able to watch the matches of both European and World Cups either in our suite or on a big screen, which always was a huge success.

I hope everything will be done to change this very soon. Football (soccer) is big not only in Europe, but also all over the world. I can not understand how Seabourn won't be able to arrange for this with all the new and improved technology over the years.

I'm hoping to hear a positive reaction soon!

Best regards,

On behalf of many Cruise Critic users, who will be on Odyssey soon

Marja Koenen

Holland

Apparently NO World Cup on Odyssey!

I wrote Guest Relations the following:

Dear Seabourn friends!

Also on behalf of many soon to be Seabourn Odyssey guests, I want to express my disappointment about the fact that apparently the World Cup is not available on the Seabourn Odyssey, while the guests on the Sojourn are able to watch the matches.

On channel 4 in every suite and in the crew cabins. major games are shown in the main lounge and every other game they show in the conference rooms, for those who want to watch with others.

In the past we have always been able to watch the matches of both European and World Cups either in our suite or on a big screen, which always was a huge success.

I hope everything will be done to change this very soon. Football (soccer) is big not only in Europe, but also all over the world. I can not understand how Seabourn won't be able to arrange for this with all the new and improved technology over the years.

I'm hoping to hear a positive reaction soon!

Best regards,

On behalf of many Cruise Critic users, who will be on Odyssey soon

Marja Koenen

Holland

Marja,

This will be a huge disappointment for my husband! He has been watching almost every game. I prefer to not even tell him before boarding! Too much Hell to bear!Are they paying more on the Sojourn????Seems ridiculous!:confused:

Marja,

This will be a huge disappointment for my husband! He has been watching almost every game. I prefer to not even tell him before boarding! Too much Hell to bear!Are they paying more on the Sojourn????Seems ridiculous!:confused:

I haven't told my husband either.... but I'm even a bigger football/soccer fan than he is!

I've sent out more emails to people who might be able to do something about this situation that is hard to understand. When we cruised on the Odyssey earlier this year, all the "Super Bowl" matches could be watched. This is an event that is only going on every 4 years and countries need to qualify during 2 years to even get in...

The countries where the Odyssey is sailing are certainly interested in the WC and would show them on TV. For instance Greece only got kicked out yesterday...

If the Sojourn can show it, so should the Odyssey! Like I mentioned: Years ago we watched all the matches on the Spirit... It can not be that it would not be possible nowadays, years later with progressed technology. I refuse to believe that.... Oops, did I really say that?

Marja

I assume they get all of their tv from a big dish up top somewhere.

How hard can it be for the technology man on board to simply sweep the available channels to find ones showing the games--- there must be numerous broadcasters showing the games live.

I would have thought the staff on board would have more than a passing interest in the games as well as the paying guests.

I'm still keeping everything crossed!.

Archived