Inside the Vatican eating options

KirkNC

Our tour has changed times (not at my request). This may be good as it gives us more time to get there (see my other thread about making it by 9:30) but now it creates a new problem. The tour starts at 11:00 and ends at 2:30. We plan on spending a few hours after the tour going to the Treasury and Grottoes and possible the Cupola (thanks for the ideas Euro Cruiser!). Because of that we do not want to go outside the Vatican to solvle the new problem which is FOOD :eek:. We won't be able to eat lunch while on the tour so I have few questions:

1. Are there food stalls or anyplace right outside the Vatican where we can grab something on the run at 10:30 to wolf down before going in, if yes exactly where would one find them.

2. I know there is a cafeteria inside the museum but when we finish the tour we will be in the square (I think). Can we go back to the cafeteria or are there any places to grab something in the square or elsewhere?

3. Can we take any food in with us? I am thinking of an apple or banana from the ship.

Thanks,

Kirk

There are food stalls located outside the Vatican...you can't miss them. You could always grab a piece of fruit from the ship to eat while in line, but I really don't think they would allow any food or drink to be taken inside. Enjoy...Italy is amazing!

You'll pass plenty of places on the way to the museums' entrance. Also, just before you go into the Sistine Chapel, there's a coffee shop. I don't remember what they had there, I don't imagine there's much of a selection, but perhaps someone else will chime in. It's near the bathrooms, if that helps orient you.

As to carrying in food, I don't think that would be a problem. They do use an x-ray machine to look at all backpacks, bags, etc., but they're looking for destructive items, not food. Also, the main cafeteria and coffee shop are located near the entrance, so if you get there early maybe you can sit down and grab a bite there before your tour starts. (I'm not sure how the whole tour thing works, whether or not you can get in before your tour, I've never tried that.)

If you do wind up making the early train, you might consider doing the dome climb before going to the museums. I don't remember if you've said what time of year you'll be there, but the line for the cupola gets pretty long during the height of the visitor season.

There are plenty of food stalls in St. Peter's Square, but the prices are astronomical and the food looked poor. I would much prefer to snack on some protein bars from home and a piece of fruit from the ship. I don't think you'll have any problems bringing such food with you. I'm pretty sure we had protein bars in the small bag we carried into the Musei Vaticani.

If your tour finishes at the Sistine Chapel, you can go against the usual advice. Instead of taking the right-hand exit marked "Tour Groups" down the steps to the post-security entrance to St. Peter's, you can take the left-hand exit back to the Vatican Museums entrance. The cafeteria and pizzeria are just downstairs from the entrance. We thought the food was surprisingly decent.

There is also a small coffee shop located right before you go up the last set of stairs to the Sistine Chapel. We were in the Vatican museum for a couple of hours before I stop there, it was nice to sit down and have a cup of cappuccino, they also have some snacks and sandwiches. The prices there was reasonable.

I also agree with the previous post about existing out the left door (as you face the front wall of the Sistine Chapel. It's the door that is in the back on the left wall. That door takes you to a staircase that will deposit you passed the long security lines into St. Peter's (you already went through security to get into the Vatican Museum). If you go out the right door, it deposits you outside and you have to walk past the long Vatican Walls and around a corner to get into St Peter's Square.

There is also a small coffee shop located right before you go up the last set of stairs to the Sistine Chapel. We were in the Vatican museum for a couple of hours before I stop there, it was nice to sit down and have a cup of cappuccino, they also have some snacks and sandwiches. The prices there was reasonable.

This is the one I was talking about, I wasn't sure about the snacks and sandwiches, thanks for filling that in. Although the restaurant/cafeteria near the entrance is much, much bigger and offers a lot of variety, it's a long schlep back there and quite out of the way if you really want to end up in the basilica.

Archived