Cruisers Beware!!!

Yep..that is the way to do it...one credit card for onboard...one credit card for ports...and a third card safely tucked in the cabin safe...just in case!!!! Because in the event of a real emergency...you just might need it!

Thanks for posting this. It is good, simple, advice and could really help to avoid some problems.

I want to thank you for this post. This IS something that I was not aware of and gave me something to think about.

So...my question to everyone here...

I DO NOT use or have credit cards. I only have a bank account to cash my payroll checks and I keep a little bit in there for extras here and there. I have been screwed over too many times (by banks/ex husband/bills of ex husbands and so on-long story), that I pay cash for EVERYTHING I do. (Yes, my vehicles and all). I figure if I don't have the money, I don't buy it. If I want something, I save up for it, then I pay cash for it. If I have a bill to pay, I go directly to the bank, deposit that amount in it and then pay that amount for the bill.

For the cruise, I saved up, I deposited the money in the bank, I booked and paid for my cruise in full.

So...I am now saving for every expense I can foresee while on the cruise.

What does someone like me do in this case? Do I take the cash with me on the ship and pay at the end of the cruise with cash? Can you do that? Or do I put most of it in my bank account for them to "hold" and it will just come out of my bank at the end of the cruise? I can guarantee there won't be an extra "$1,000" waiting in there for them to place a hold. I don't keep that kind of money in there in the first place.

I've seen people mention, just pay cash and not worry about it. How does this all work? I definitely don't want any surprises at the end of the cruise and not have access to money for the trip home.

One idea is you might think about getting a credit card, and pre-paying the amount you expect to use on board. This would allow you to keep with your philosophy of only buying what you have the money for, while giving you the protections which the credit card offers.

A BIG THANK YOU!! it was never my bank but ncl who held these funds all along and it was ncl who had to release those funds into my account so thank you again for clearing it up to those who were persistant in saying that it was my bank because it never was :D

I only reported what NCL had on it's signs and if that made me one of the persistant ones than I apologize. Glad it's been clarified! (And in any event it's been a good education in why not using a debit card for travel is a smart thing to do.)

Archived