nebulizer on the ship

maryivo

Hello everyone, My son has very mild asthma and once in a long while he requires a nebulizer treatment. Anyone know for sure if the ship has one? I will call but I thought I would start here. It would be nice just to bring the medicine and not the entire machine. Also- any ideas how to contact the ship to ask this question? If I call CS, will I get a straight / reliable answer or should I just lug my neb?

Hello everyone, My son has very mild asthma and once in a long while he requires a nebulizer treatment. Anyone know for sure if the ship has one? I will call but I thought I would start here. It would be nice just to bring the medicine and not the entire machine. Also- any ideas how to contact the ship to ask this question? If I call CS, will I get a straight / reliable answer or should I just lug my neb?

I have to carry on a bunch of meds myself, and so sympathize...but I think I'd bring my own nebulizer, if I needed one. Isn't that something he'd need right away, and you'd have to go find the ships clinic to deal with the problem?

What you need to do is to track down the special needs department of the cruise line and ask, though, what kind of equipment they have, **and how much it will cost you to use it**. You may find lugging yours along is the most reliable..and cheapest.

We have a second nebulizer for traveling. The travel models are a little smaller and lighter, not much.

One thing I have noticed is the kids do alot better in the Fl/Caribbean moist air. Especially in the winter, when we are coming from the cold dry northeast.

Yes, the medical center will have a nebulizer (although you didn't say which ship- all should have one). You can call the special needs department (look in your cruise docs for the number) just to verify.

However, just how mild is his asthma? If you rely on the ship's neb, you will be limited to the hours the med center is open. To use it after hours will requre contacting the emergency services and then arranging to get you and your son to the med center. Can he really wait that long when he needs a treatment? I'm assuming you will be needing the neb just for a maintenance med, not for a bronchodilator med? (I know that's not spelled correctly lol- I'm referring to a so-called "rescue" med).

If you thnk that using the ship's neb will indeed work out, definitely bring your own meds and neb kit (hose included)- just hook up your stuff to their machine. Also, make sure the meds are in their original box- with your son's name, etc on it. A doctor's note re treatment protocals will also help. Be prepared to have the ship's doc insist on examining your son- to make sure his a__ is covered in case the situation goes downhill quickly.

If you don't already have one of the nebs that is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, you should get one. Not overly expensive, and much easier to carry, and you can have it with you when ashore as well, if needed. Most DME providers, like Apria, have them. Just need a script from his health care provider. Most insurances cover them, as well.

Thanks so much for the info. I just called the doc for a travel sized neb. I hadn't thought of them charging me. I'm so used to having insurance cover me. It's really just precautionary and he rarely has a need for one. I would just hate to be somewhere and need it and not have it. His is usually a barking cough that won't go away w/o a neb. treatment rather than a full fledged weezing attack. That has only happened twice and both times we went to the ER. He was about 4 and he's now 6. It should be fine but in any case, I'm taking care of it. Thanks for the good advice, I knew I could count on the peeps here :)

Thanks so much for the info. I just called the doc for a travel sized neb. I hadn't thought of them charging me. I'm so used to having insurance cover me. It's really just precautionary and he rarely has a need for one. I would just hate to be somewhere and need it and not have it. His is usually a barking cough that won't go away w/o a neb. treatment rather than a full fledged weezing attack. That has only happened twice and both times we went to the ER. He was about 4 and he's now 6. It should be fine but in any case, I'm taking care of it. Thanks for the good advice, I knew I could count on the peeps here :)

I didn't know that they had a travel neb that was so easy to carry. We'll have to check into that ourselves!

We have a travel size and take it with us....the ship would likely charge IF they even have one. It's possible that the approved medical provider [the ones that are authorized to provide oxygen to passengers] also can provide a nebulizer. They too charge. You might want to ask this question on the Disabled Traveler board on this site.....tons of good info there.

The little ones are GREAT. You just slip into your purse or backpack and then you never have to worry.

Hi

Omron is a company that makes the "eyeglass case" size nebulizers. You can find them online.

They are by far the best thing ever invented for asthmatic's

I used to have to bring my larger box type neb when I traveled, now I can just put it in my purse and go. It runs on 2AA batteries, and the carrying case has room for extra batteries, and a few doses of medication.

I have spent years lugging a neb on vacations and purchased this one a few years ago.

You can carry it anywhere, and you don't need to worry about finding a plug to use it :)

It is well worth the investment (all you need is a script from your doctor) for the piece of mind it will bring you.

Debbie

ps....no, I don't work for the company LOL just love the one I have!!!!

Hi

Omron is a company that makes the "eyeglass case" size nebulizers. You can find them online.

They are by far the best thing ever invented for asthmatic's

I used to have to bring my larger box type neb when I traveled, now I can just put it in my purse and go. It runs on 2AA batteries, and the carrying case has room for extra batteries, and a few doses of medication.

I have spent years lugging a neb on vacations and purchased this one a few years ago.

You can carry it anywhere, and you don't need to worry about finding a plug to use it :)

It is well worth the investment (all you need is a script from your doctor) for the piece of mind it will bring you.

Debbie

ps....no, I don't work for the company LOL just love the one I have!!!!

We also have the Omron nebulizer. Love it not only does it run on batterys, can be pluged in if needed. It is also very quiet ( we have used it in church).

Archived