Why isn’t there a Florida to Northeastern cruise

RVman

Why isn’t there a Florida to Northeastern cruise? I’ve searched to no avail on a cruise that would take you from Florida to the North East of part of the country, why doesn’t Carnival have such a cruise?

I love to do a port a call in New York, Maine and other places up there

Why isn’t there a Florida to Northeastern cruise? I’ve searched to no avail on a cruise that would take you from Florida to the North East of part of the country, why doesn’t Carnival have such a cruise?

No demand, I would imagine.

Getting into and out of the New York port would be a nightmare and would be pricy. Cab pricing would also be extremely high. Food is certainly not cheap. It's crowded and it would be easy to miss the ship. New York may not want another cruise ship in the port. It would be a summer venture only. And now the good news ......................

They don't even do a Fl to Bermuda cruise and it would be closer distance wise.

Steve

Foreign Flagged ships, Jones Act applies.

And on the otherhand, people ESCAPE from the Northeast, who would they want to go back? LOL

The technical stop would be Nova Scotia to satify jones act.

I am formerly from the NE 5 years ago,and I never want to go back.:eek:

Steve

People continue to get the Passanger Vessel Services Act of 1886 confused with the Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (also called the Jones Act) with each other.

The Passanger Vessel Services Act of 1886 states that: No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $200 (now $300) for each passenger so transported and landed.

The Merchant Marine Act of 1920 regulates The cabotage provisions restrict the carriage of goods between United States ports to U.S. built and flagged vessels. And also extends Seaman's rights, allowing injured sailors to obtain damages from their employers for the negligence of the shipowner, the captain, or fellow members of the crew.

Possibly the lack of interest and tying up a ship for such a period of time...a NY to Fl/Bahamas cruise is 8 nights and a NY NE/Canada cruise is 7 nights so you are looking a 12-14 day cruise to make it work...It would be cheaper for them to just do the NY NE/Canada cruises for 7 nights and let those in FL fly to NY, as many in NY fly to FL for Caribbean/Bahamas...no way we can see everything on a cruise ship leaving from every port.

People continue to get the Passanger Vessel Services Act of 1886 confused with the Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (also called the Jones Act) with each other.

The Passanger Vessel Services Act of 1886 states that: No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $200 (now $300) for each passenger so transported and landed.

The Merchant Marine Act of 1920 regulates The cabotage provisions restrict the carriage of goods between United States ports to U.S. built and flagged vessels. And also extends Seaman's rights, allowing injured sailors to obtain damages from their employers for the negligence of the shipowner, the captain, or fellow members of the crew.

Are they enforcing it?

Spirit has missed their foreign stop 3 weeks in a row now because of winds;) yet other cruiselines are docking.

Is the cruiseline paying $90,000 everytime?

Steve

Are they enforcing it?

Spirit has missed their foreign stop 3 weeks in a row now because of winds;) yet other cruiselines are docking.

Steve

I don't have a clue. Here is a little light reading if you would like to research it yourself.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/trade/legal/informed_compliance_pubs/pvsa_icp.ctt/pvsa_icp.pdf

Are they enforcing it?

Steve

they probably do what we did on the swine cruise....a "technical stop".

We basicly dropped anchor off of PV Mexico while a small boat met us with local offiacials to do some 'paperwork' to satisfy the requirements and then we moved on.

:rolleyes:

Folks have to demand it. Princess finally gave in to pressure on the West coast and is doing some Coastals from LA in 2011.

Don't know what happens when the foreign stop is missed, but Carnival says they will apply/pass on the fine if you miss a port or disembark at another port unless you book your flight through them I think (I guess that cover the fine then if you book open jaw).

On the west coast there are repositioning cruises from Vancouver which I'm sure was on purpose to avoid fines. I just figured if the boat has to move on the east coast anyway, they could make a cruise out of it.

Aren't their cruises that originate in Florida that have Key West as their first port?

And there are cres that originate in Baltimore that have Port Canaveral as their forst stop. But that doesn't violate the the PVSA, as long as they hit a foreign port. EM

I see you live in Florida.. you can always fly to NY..like the rest of us that dont live close to a port and have to fly to Florida to sail..:D

Archived