Carseat - to bring or not to bring...

emk1129

We are cruising Carnival Imagination departing on Nov 29th. Pre cruise, we will be staying in Miami for 3 nights. Our hotel is located right in the heart of South Beach and we do not plan on taking taxis anywhere-just walking to Lincoln Rd and our property is on the beach...So here's my dilemna~Do we NEED to bring the carseat???

My husband and I are flying and our 15 month old daughter will be sitting in our lap for the flight, so if we do bring the carseat, we'd have to pay for it as an extra checked piece of baggage. (Delta) Our other concern is that we only booked an inside cabin (no balcony rooms were available and suites not in our budget) and it'll be cramped with a crib, where will we have room for the carseat?

We WILL have to utilize taxi from airport to hotel and hotel to port...does everyone recommend taking the carseat for that? What about in ports...are there typically shuttles or taxis? and if taxis, where do i put the carseat while on the excursion?

We are cruising Carnival Imagination departing on Nov 29th. Pre cruise, we will be staying in Miami for 3 nights. Our hotel is located right in the heart of South Beach and we do not plan on taking taxis anywhere-just walking to Lincoln Rd and our property is on the beach...So here's my dilemna~Do we NEED to bring the carseat???

My husband and I are flying and our 15 month old daughter will be sitting in our lap for the flight, so if we do bring the carseat, we'd have to pay for it as an extra checked piece of baggage. (Delta) Our other concern is that we only booked an inside cabin (no balcony rooms were available and suites not in our budget) and it'll be cramped with a crib, where will we have room for the carseat?

We WILL have to utilize taxi from airport to hotel and hotel to port...does everyone recommend taking the carseat for that? What about in ports...are there typically shuttles or taxis? and if taxis, where do i put the carseat while on the excursion?

When we flew to Miami with a 3 yr old, I booked a limo to pick us up at the airport because they had carseats. Other than that I can tell you that on some of the islands, some cabs don't even have seat belts. I would leave the carseat at home and find some transportation to take you to the hotel and port that can provide a carseat.

When we flew to Miami with a 3 yr old, I booked a limo to pick us up at the airport because they had carseats. Other than that I can tell you that on some of the islands, some cabs don't even have seat belts. I would leave the carseat at home and find some transportation to take you to the hotel and port that can provide a carseat.

Do you recall what limo company you booked through? Thanks

Do you recall what limo company you booked through? Thanks

I think it was Millenium limo. Call and be sure they have carseats but I think that's it. Of course you will pay more than a cab but then again you are saving the baggage fee on Delta by not having to bring your own. The driver picked us up in baggage claim.

I ALWAYS bring my own car seats. We usually book inside cabins and we have enough room for the 2 car seats and stroller. I would rather have my own car seat, which I know hasn't been in an accident, in a taxi from the airport to the hotel. As for ports, I chose to walk with the stroller in ports. I didn't risk getting in a car that doesn't have seat belts. They drive like crazy in some countries. Some excursions have buses that don't allow car seats. If you do a search, there are many threads on the car seat issue. I have travelled delta and you can check your bag for free(it's an special item) but I chose to carry it to the gate with the stroller and gate check it for free also. This was you know it doesn't get damaged with all the other luggage.

I have travelled delta and you can check your bag for free(it's an special item) but I chose to carry it to the gate with the stroller and gate check it for free also. This was you know it doesn't get damaged with all the other luggage.

Hi~I emailed Delta to see if a carseat fell into the category of free checked bag and I was told no, that you'd have to pay additionally for it since we're not purchasing a seat for our daughter...is this not correct?

I've heard of gate checking the stroller (which we plan to do) but never the carseat...can you do both?

Hi~I emailed Delta to see if a carseat fell into the category of free checked bag and I was told no, that you'd have to pay additionally for it since we're not purchasing a seat for our daughter...is this not correct?

I've heard of gate checking the stroller (which we plan to do) but never the carseat...can you do both?

We have flown Delta with & without a ticketed seat for under 2 yr old and have never been charged for checking stroller or carseat

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/special_baggage/infant_and_children/index.jsp

This is just my 2 cents, but I would never *ever* let my child ride in the car without being properly buckled in. It's just too risky. While in college, I worked for the local police dept and heard all sorts of horror stories. A limo is no safer either. I watched an Oprah last year and heard about a child who was decapitated from riding in a limo, buckled in but no booster seat. I don't think any of the other passengers were hurt. Buckle up and take the car seat. I know it's an extra hassle, but better safe than sorry imo.

This is just my 2 cents, but I would never *ever* let my child ride in the car without being properly buckled in. It's just too risky. While in college, I worked for the local police dept and heard all sorts of horror stories. A limo is no safer either. I watched an Oprah last year and heard about a child who was decapitated from riding in a limo, buckled in but no booster seat. I don't think any of the other passengers were hurt. Buckle up and take the car seat. I know it's an extra hassle, but better safe than sorry imo.

I agree.

It is a hassle to lug them around but we take them w/ us for travel-- have always found people extremely helpful though-- maitreD taking them for us when we have caught a cab to a restaurant for dinner. Botanical gardens and museums gladly putting them in the back office. Hotel transportation keeping them in their shuttle in between drop off & pick ups.

Whoever you are calling at Delta is giving you the wrong info. Every airline I have flown allows car seats and strollers for free. As Tamsocal posted here is what delta's website says:

Children’s strollers and seat restraints are not counted as part of the standard baggage and therefore can easily be checked for free. For your convenience these items may be checked at curbside, the ticket counter, or at the gate.

I agree with the others don't risk it. Bring your own car seat and have peace of mind. It just takes once....... Ports will be difficult to find seat belts so plan ahead. IF we can't use car seats we just walk around and come back early to the ship and enjoy it all to ourselves.

The limo I had did have a carseat. If you request one they will provide it.

There is another company that says they have carseats:

http://www.topshuttle.com

I don't think child seats are charged as luggage on Delta. See this quote from their website:

Children’s strollers and seat restraints are not counted as part of the standard baggage and therefore can easily be checked for free. For your convenience these items may be checked at curbside, the ticket counter, or at the gate.

Probably wouldn't hurt to bring it. You can store it in the closet onboard or your steward can store it elsewhere for you. I have been told by many people that you have to have a car seat in a taxi (or shuttle) in Florida.

MNmomof4, sorry, I see you posted the Delta information this morning.

we brought our 18 month old did not bring a car seat but we had ccl transportation which is a bus if you are going to use taxi from the airport to your hotel and hotel to terminal you must have a car seat it is a state law in fla . most taxi's don't want to deal with car seats and may pass on your fare

+1000 - yes, it is a huge hassle, BUT the regret and heartbreak you would feel if something happened to your child that could have possibly been prevented with a car seat makes that hassle look like nothing.

Limos, shuttle buses, cabs, taxis in foreign ports, airplanes...just because you can get away with not using a car seat doesn't make them one bit safer than a car at home.

(Also, although you didn't ask, I feel strongly enough about this issue that I want to say please reconsider having your 15 month ride in your lap for your flights. It is much more of a risk than most people realize. Do a google search for lap children and air turbulence and see what I mean.)

+1000 - yes, it is a huge hassle, BUT the regret and heartbreak you would feel if something happened to your child that could have possibly been prevented with a car seat makes that hassle look like nothing.

Limos, shuttle buses, cabs, taxis in foreign ports, airplanes...just because you can get away with not using a car seat doesn't make them one bit safer than a car at home.

(Also, although you didn't ask, I feel strongly enough about this issue that I want to say please reconsider having your 15 month ride in your lap for your flights. It is much more of a risk than most people realize. Do a google search for lap children and air turbulence and see what I mean.)

I was on a flight to Exuma and we hit an air pocket and the plane rocked side to side and dropped before we knew what happened. I wasn't buckled in, and I flew straight up and slammed my head into the top of the plane, luckily no injuries. But from that point on I used the seatbelts. If something like that would happen with a child on your lap it could be horrible, please use a seatbelt on the child. I've seen many parents holding them on their laps and from experience I never would.

I was on a flight to Exuma and we hit an air pocket and the plane rocked side to side and dropped before we knew what happened. I wasn't buckled in, and I flew straight up and slammed my head into the top of the plane, luckily no injuries. But from that point on I used the seatbelts. If something like that would happen with a child on your lap it could be horrible, please use a seatbelt on the child. I've seen many parents holding them on their laps and from experience I never would.

Very good point about the airplane too. When my son was an infant, I would "wear" him in a sling while onboard. Granted this is not the same as a 5 point harness type car seat, but he was very snug (and usually asleep). Perfect set up for nursing moms too.

Thanks everyone for the input. After thinking more about it, we have decided to definately take the carseat. Might be a bit of a nuisance, but well worth the safety aspect and peace of mind. We plan to take a taxi from the airport and back, so I'll make sure to get one that has seat belts;)

It is state law in Florida to buckle the child in. So when you walk out of the baggage claim area walk up to the transportation area desk on the sidewalk and say "I want a taxi" to the nice person standing there. They will radio a taxi (if one isn't already sitting there) and one will arrive in literally under a minute.

No muss, no fuss and really quite easy. They will take care of it for you.

We have never been "passed by". We have never been refused. And actually, once in the Bahamas, we were given a limo because of having 4 car seats with us (we were with one other family) :)

Archived