We are losing cruise credits YIKES!

CruisesOnMyMind

We have decided to go on Celebrity Solstice this August and I must tell you I am having tiny anxiety attacks about cruising and not gaining a RCCL point. Call me silly, stupid, whatever but the feeling is there. I keep telling myself 50 yrs from now it won’t make a difference! I obviously love RCCL, however sometimes the stars just do not align! Has anyone else stopped from booking another line from fear of losing that almighty credit?

Only if I was just one credit away from moving to the next level on another line...no worries thought it all will balance out. Remember, whatever level you are on RCCL you be similar status on X. Different set of perks, some better some not so much.

We have decided to go on Celebrity Solstice this August and I must tell you I am having tiny anxiety attacks about cruising and not gaining a RCCL point. Call me silly, stupid, whatever but the feeling is there. I keep telling myself 50 yrs from now it won’t make a difference! I obviously love RCCL, however sometimes the stars just do not align! Has anyone else stopped from booking another line from fear of losing that almighty credit?

DH and I don't give a hoot about free drinks and an eventual bit of free laundry. After all perks add up to a smidgeon of the overall cruise cost. Book what you like, and be happy with what you choose.

You are D+ and will be coming over as Elite. You will enjoy the highest level of benefits on X and right now.:)

DH and I don't give a hoot about free drinks and an eventual bit of free laundry. After all perks add up to a smidgeon of the overall cruise cost. Book what you like, and be happy with what you choose.

I ditto that :D We cruise 'cheap' and end up SLOWLY getting perks on all the cruiselines. But I figure the money we save on 'cheaper' cruises make up for any of the perks.

Enjoy Celebrity... we are on our way to our first X the end of July.

It hasn't stopped me, but our current plan is to get to Elite/Diamond before we try RCCI for an itinerary that X doesn't service. Celebrity is our line of choice, and the only reason for going with Royal versus anyone else would be the equivalent Diamond status. So if we wouldn't be Diamond, we would have no particular reason to book with Royal, save being Diamond Plus someday. (Yes, I know that we'll have to "start over" since ten X cruise credits equals zero RCCI cruise credits.) But we may as well enjoy being Diamond, for what it's worth, for every cruise to get there. Actually, I'm hoping there's an Elite Plus that will equal Diamond Plus by then, so we'll just get our first 24 cruise credits with X. There are plenty of Celebrity itineraries we're interested in to get the necessary cruise credits-- may as well suffer the indignity of being only Classic/Select/Gold/Platinum(/Elite/Diamond) for as little a time as possible.:rolleyes:

Edit: FinelyCruising is correct. The only drawback for you regarding cruise credits is if RCCI decides to start a level higher than Diamond Plus for which you would need more credits than you have now.

The benefits of any cruiseline program are so meager (laundry, internet, canapes) relative to most airline/hotel programs (free nights, free flights, upgrades to first/business), I can't imagine why anyone would base a decision on this vs cruise fare, itinerary, ship, etc. What am I missing?

The benefits of any cruiseline program are so meager (laundry, internet, canapes) relative to most airline/hotel programs (free nights, free flights, upgrades to first/business), I can't imagine why anyone would base a decision on this vs cruise fare, itinerary, ship, etc. What am I missing?

Cocktails on the house. :)

It hasn't stopped me, but our current plan is to get to Elite/Diamond before we try RCCI for an itinerary that X doesn't service. Celebrity is our line of choice, and the only reason for going with Royal versus anyone else would be the equivalent Diamond status. So if we wouldn't be Diamond, we would have no particular reason to book with Royal, save being Diamond Plus someday. (Yes, I know that we'll have to "start over" since ten X cruise credits equals zero RCCI cruise credits.) But we may as well enjoy being Diamond, for what it's worth, for every cruise to get there. Actually, I'm hoping there's an Elite Plus that will equal Diamond Plus by then, so we'll just get our first 24 cruise credits with X. There are plenty of Celebrity itineraries we're interested in to get the necessary cruise credits-- may as well suffer the indignity of being only Classic/Select/Gold/Platinum(/Elite/Diamond) for as little a time as possible.:rolleyes:

Edit: FinelyCruising is correct. The only drawback for you regarding cruise credits is if RCCI decides to start a level higher than Diamond Plus for which you would need more credits than you have now.

Thank you, you have hit the "nail" which has been tossed around for future credits! Again, I have to ask myself why is it so important???

In our case, we cruise with Celebrity because of the smoking policy, not so much out of loyalty and the desire to rack up cruise credits. Otherwise, it would not be a significant factor. Once we would get to Elite, it would be a larger factor due to the better perks, but we'd still at least consider other cruise lines. For us, though, RCCI has enough interesting itineraries that I believe the Diamond status would likely be the deciding factor. We may change our minds once we're actually faced with the decision.

Let me think...

I had status on Orient Line; they're gone.

I had elite status on Cunard; my 2 favorite ships are gone.

I had status on NCL; don't sail on them anymore.

I had status on HAL and Costa; don't sail on them anymore.

I have elite status on Celebrity and Diamond status on RCI; but I don't like the ambience on RCI.

So, I sail on Celebrity; there is always an itinerary to my liking.:p

Cheryl

Let me think...

I had status on Orient Line; they're gone.

I had elite status on Cunard; my 2 favorite ships are gone.

I had status on NCL; don't sail on them anymore.

I had status on HAL and Costa; don't sail on them anymore.

I have elite status on Celebrity and Diamond status on RCI; but I don't like the ambience on RCI.

So, I sail on Celebrity; there is always an itinerary to my liking.:p

Cheryl

Well said,,,thank you!

A lot of great "thinking" points for sure on this thread:D

[/color]

Thank you, you have hit the "nail" which has been tossed around for future credits! Again, I have to ask myself why is it so important???

If Diamond++ (Neutronium, maybe?) status does start to involve substantial perks, such as, say, a free cruise with every 20th additional credit milestone, it could make a difference. The problem is we don't know what it might be or if they ever will decide to implement such hypothetical levels.

I'm in total agreement. First thing I look at is the ship itself, THEN the itinerary and then the cruise line. Perks and status come in last. I've never even USED the free laundry and I don't want to be on the computer on a cruise, although I do know it helps some keep in touch with home or work. As for the free Captain's receptions.. I'm usually doing other things. Now priority embark/debark, IF it works smoothly, THAT'S a perk I enjoy.

We made Diamond on RCCL last year, we specially chose to continue building up points over the last few years until we could go on X as Elite.

We are booked on the Solstice in Nov and look forward the benefits on X.

From now on we can choose from RCCL and X and not worry about losing anything. D+ will be slower but the flexibility is attractive.

We are at the highest level on rccl and celebrity at this point and sometimes we factor in our bookings to reach another level(ex. reaching 50 cruises on rccl extra perk,etc.) but price of cruise figures in that also. One has to weigh the priorities.

Charles and Connie

Lynn ~ we're Diamond Plus/Elite and while the added perks are nice, they have never played a role in which cruise we've booked (we sail Princess and HAL as well). I think giving Solstice a try is worth the switch all by itself.

To answer your question of "why is it so important?" I think it's because we like "feeling" like we are getting something. But in the grand scheme of things, the perks are nice but certainly don't make or break the cruise for us so we're good with sailing different lines at time.

Have a fantastic cruise!

The only perk that would make me think about staying with one line over all others would be a FREE cruise. That is why I worry about whether I can use my X rewards credit card. Only wish I could get double points for booking an RCCL cruise :).

Only if I was just one credit away from moving to the next level on another line...no worries thought it all will balance out. Remember, whatever level you are on RCCL you be similar status on X. Different set of perks, some better some not so much.

we have 9 cruise credits on RCCL... 1 away from diamond. And we opted to sail Solstice over Liberty.... I figure, I'm not going to spend all of that $$ to go on a cruise solely for the purchase of achieving diamond. Plus, we are sailing without our 2 year old, so I'm THRILLED to be going on Solstice... nice change (I hope!). Anyway, we'll mostly likely do a quick Majesty sailing to gain diamond... some Oct. sailings are $169, so I'll be diamond soon enough ;)

Archived