Istanbul or Kusadasi?

We will be starting our September cruise in Istanbul and spending a few days there before we sail. We will also be visiting Kusadasi. I know both places are good for purchasing pashmina scarves and am wondering if I should buy them in Istanbul or wait.

I guess this same question would apply to any other "goodies" that we might want to buy.

We also visited Istanbul and Kusadasi our last trip.

I found a HUGE selection in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. Bought a gorgeous one for MIL with stunning embroidery on it. Pricey but dh bargained it down and we got a good deal !!! Also purchased 3 cheaper ones for his secretaries.

Didnt see the selection in Kusadasi that we saw in GB in Istanbul. As for prices, I had already purchased ours so didnt really check. But for selection = Istanbul ! And don't forget to bargain !!!!!! Hard.

There is another thread about shopping in Turkey....do a search. Good thread.

I'm not sure the poster is talking about real pashmina or just using the generic terms that people in the US tend to use for a large scarf or shawl....

Anyway, if you want a REAL pashmina, do check carefully, and I would recommend going to a good shop in Istanbul.

If you are just talking about scarves generically, then definitely I would suggest buying them wherever you find ones that appeal to you. Don't wait and assume you'll find a better price or nicer scarf elsewhere.

In Istanbul, I found the NICEST quality items at the Arasta bazaar beside the Blue Mosque. I also purchased two very nice scarves in the Spice Bazaar. I found that the scarves in the Grand Bazaar, while there are umpteen million varieties, were in general not as nice (although I'm sure there were probably some nicer stores, I just didn't find them.)

I personally did not enjoy shopping in Kusadasi on my first visit, so I avoided it on my second. People say the vendors are less aggressive now.....

Yes, you must check to be sure you are getting pashmina wool and not a blend or other type yarn.

Also, when visiting the store, tell the shopkeeper you are looking for real pashmina and not something else. They will be more $$$. Expect to pay more $$$.

But, there is no faking the feel of a real pashmina item. Pure luxury. And the ones that are embroidered can be absolutely gorgeous. My MIL loved hers as she knew what she was getting !!! ;)

We will be starting our September cruise in Istanbul and spending a few days there before we sail. We will also be visiting Kusadasi. I know both places are good for purchasing pashmina scarves and am wondering if I should buy them in Istanbul or wait.

I guess this same question would apply to any other "goodies" that we might want to buy.

For the most choices (and the prices vary due to what was mentioned below) I would purchase them in Istanbul. You will also have a lot of time to look at them since you have a few pre-days there. Visit the Istanbul Bazaar. The Bazaar is also good for other trinkets you may want to buy for gifts.

If you want some nicer items from jewelry to purses, etc. there are some very nice stores located within a couple minute walk from the pier at Kusadasi.

We have visited both ports several times over the year most recently in April of this past year.

Keith

Archived