$3500 Mississippi River Cruise

does Celebrity cruise the Mississippi?

can you be a little more specific: is this a one day cruise? 2 weeks? inside cabin? luxury suite? does it include drinks and shore excursions?

"dirty river". give me a break, it's a beautiful river, been on it, cruised on it. I think you miss the whole point of a boat: it's what keeps the "dirty river" off of you, you don't swim in it! and I bet it stops at some really nice ports.

Seriously? Who would pay that kind of money to cruise a dirty river? Tell me this is a MISPRINT!!!

If you want to talk about dirty, how is Gulf of Mexico cruising these days?

does Celebrity cruise the Mississippi?

can you be a little more specific: is this a one day cruise? 2 weeks? inside cabin? luxury suite? does it include drinks and shore excursions?

"dirty river". give me a break, it's a beautiful river, been on it, cruised on it. I think you miss the whole point of a boat: it's what keeps the "dirty river" off of you, you don't swim in it! and I bet it stops at some really nice ports.

New Orleans to Memphis and reverse. This seven-night cruise includes stops in Vacherie to visit Oak Valley Plantation, the Myrtles, a famous haunted house, and Vickburg National Military Park. Departure dates include March 19, April 9, 16 and May 7, 2011, and rates start at $3,499 per person.

New Orleans to Memphis and reverse. This seven-night cruise includes stops in Vacherie to visit Oak Valley Plantation, the Myrtles, a famous haunted house, and Vickburg National Military Park. Departure dates include March 19, April 9, 16 and May 7, 2011, and rates start at $3,499 per person.

Ugh, am I missing something? None of celebritys ships are small enough to sail the mississippi? Maybe the xpedition, but that's it.??

sounds like CruiseWest, small ships about 100 passengers. from $3499 is right (includes taxes and tips) not a misprint. It's a totally different experience. who would pay it?, I bet 100 people will. But my next cruise is on Celebrity Equinox.

It is Cruise West and I know people who cruise with them and rave about the experience. This is an all inclusive cruise...includes all excursions....on small ships.

Why this in in the Celebrity forum is beyond me. :confused:

Oh, and the Mississippi River is beautiful. :)

Mississippi River cruise? Dirty River? What is the about? Not even the Xpedtition could navigate the Mississippi. And dirty river? There are great views and 'ports' up the Mississippi. Have visited the Great River and many of the river cities and it is an excitiing place. Don't mean to question the OP, but maybe you mixed your forums?

And by the way, little jokes about the 'dirty' Gulf of Mexico aren't really apprecaited by those of us who are watching our beaches and livelihood distroyed and can do nothing about it except try to block it. So please try another tack.

By the way, $3500pp for a small ship river cruise that includes tours and a little wine at dinner is probably right in line with many river crises. We've cruised CruiseWest and loved it. Intimate, great ports...

Denny

And by the way, little jokes about the 'dirty' Gulf of Mexico aren't really apprecaited by those of us who are watching our beaches and livelihood distroyed and can do nothing about it except try to block it. So please try another tack. Denny

Funny how differently people interpret things. I didn't think the poster you are responding to was remotely trying to make a joke, just stating a very sad reality.

To the OP, as someone who has never lived on the Mississippi, I certainly can see the appeal.

Funny how differently people interpret things. I didn't think the poster you are responding to was remotely trying to make a joke, just stating a very sad reality.

To the OP, as someone who has never lived on the Mississippi, I certainly can see the appeal.

Thank you, Jeka. You are, of course, absolutely right.

What is going on in the Gulf of Mexico right now is anything but a joking matter.

An appology for conclusion jumping. Its very hard reading what is meant without facial and tone. Always an issue on the forum.

Denny

I think we Floridians are very nervous at this point. We're on the Atlantic coast, but still worried. :(

I think we Floridians are very nervous at this point. We're on the Atlantic coast, but still worried. :(

I'm on the Gulf side... as a real estate agent, this is a HUGE issue for us. In fact, I've had a few walk away from deals because of it.

Seriously? Who would pay that kind of money to cruise a dirty river? Tell me this is a MISPRINT!!!

First, as others have said the Mississippi is not a "dirty" river. C'mon!!

As to river cruising . . . it is certainly different. Through last year we had boats from American Cruise Lines start/end 7 night cruises up here in Bangor, ME. This year they are 10 night cruises. However the line does offer 7 night cruises that stop just to our east and south. Those 7 night cruises START at $3495.

It is a different kind of cruising than the big ship, mass market genre. Smaller accommodations, more intimate and they take you to places you couldn't get near to on the the bigger ships.

I would love to do one of their itineraries, or the Mississippi one you quoted without naming.

You laugh, there are plenty of people that will pay that.

Back many years ago when the paddle wheelers were still running, I picked up a Sunday paper to see an offer of $500 each for best available cabin on the Mississippi Queen. One week was during our spring break. I called my TA and told her if she could get that week, please book us. She didn't believe it but called and got us on. So for $2K, our sons and ourselves had a nice spring break in two veranda cabins, no less. First time we let them have a cabin to themselves but the verandas were connected so we could keep a close eye on them without having to go out in the passageway.

We ran across many people who had said they had paid $6K and up for two people. Boy did I give my boys the evil eye and told them to not say a word. When people asked me what we paid (can you believe people will do that but it happens all the time), I became very vague saying I didn't know, husband handled all the finances or, if he was with me, we booked this so long ago and have other cruises booked, I just can't remember what we paid for which.

Tucker in Texas

I agree - never say or post what you pay. Remember the 'kill the messanger' comment. No one likes to hear they paid more than another.

Someone on our Roll Call (not an active one) once said how much they paid and that prices were increasing. Kind of puts a damper on people joining the cruise. 'nice dress - I got the same one for much less!' Tacky at best.

Good to tell others about price drops so they can check but that is as far as I'd go

Den

Archived