RCCI VISA card & a Savings Certificate...?

We received the "thank you for cruising with RCCI" letter along with a couple of Savings Certificates from RCCI last week. We can save $50 per cabin if, between the 2 stated dates, we book a 6+ night cruise. Our RCCI VISA card also arrived in the mail this week (I applied for it online). We are planning to book a 7 night Alaska cruise for May 2011. A couple of questions to help me get the most savings from these 2 incentives:

* With the VISA card, does the first purchase to earn the 10,000 bonus points have to be a RCCI purchase, or just any purchase? For example, if I buy $40 of gas with the card tomorrow, will that earn the 10,000 points? I can make sure to not use the card for anything else until I book the RCCI cruise if that's what I need to do. My reason for questioning this is that a flyer I got along with the Savings Certificate (after I had already applied for the VISA card online) advertising the VISA card states "Earn 5,000 bonus points after making your first qualifying transaction"...then the next bullet point says "Earn double Royal Points for RCCI purchases"...so I didn't know if the 5,000 (first transaction)x2(if it is a RCCI purchase)=10,000 first transaction points, or if whatever my first transaction is will earn the 10,000 points.

* If I wait to use the VISA card for the first time when I book the cruise and get the 10,000 points, will I also be able to apply the $50 savings certificate?

Thanks!!! :)

We received the "thank you for cruising with RCCI" letter along with a couple of Savings Certificates from RCCI last week. We can save $50 per cabin if, between the 2 stated dates, we book a 6+ night cruise. Our RCCI VISA card also arrived in the mail this week (I applied for it online). We are planning to book a 7 night Alaska cruise for May 2011. A couple of questions to help me get the most savings from these 2 incentives:

* With the VISA card, does the first purchase to earn the 10,000 bonus points have to be a RCCI purchase, or just any purchase? For example, if I buy $40 of gas with the card tomorrow, will that earn the 10,000 points? I can make sure to not use the card for anything else until I book the RCCI cruise if that's what I need to do. My reason for questioning this is that a flyer I got along with the Savings Certificate (after I had already applied for the VISA card online) advertising the VISA card states "Earn 5,000 bonus points after making your first qualifying transaction"...then the next bullet point says "Earn double Royal Points for RCCI purchases"...so I didn't know if the 5,000 (first transaction)x2(if it is a RCCI purchase)=10,000 first transaction points, or if whatever my first transaction is will earn the 10,000 points.

* If I wait to use the VISA card for the first time when I book the cruise and get the 10,000 points, will I also be able to apply the $50 savings certificate?

No you can use it for anything like gas and on your first statement you will get the 10,000 points which will be listed on the end of your statement. You dont have to redeem until you are about 2 months out so you can get all the money you will spend and get the OBC for what you have spent plus the 10.000 points. So go ahead and use the visa now and start getting your points. The visa and the discount off the cruise have nothing to do with each other as they are both differant. The Visa is BOA and the saving cert is RCCL. Hope this helps let me know if you still have questions

You get the double points when you purchase anything from RCCL, either on board or for ticket purchases. Your bonus points for taking out the card will appear on your first statement.

When you are ready to redeem them, you call BOA and request the certificate for OBC. Then you sign it and mail it to RCCL. I usually request the certificate number and call it in to RCCL, then mail the certificate after I receive it.

* With the VISA card, does the first purchase to earn the 10,000 bonus points have to be a RCCI purchase, or just any purchase? For example, if I buy $40 of gas with the card tomorrow, will that earn the 10,000 points? I can make sure to not use the card for anything else until I book the RCCI cruise if that's what I need to do. My reason for questioning this is that a flyer I got along with the Savings Certificate (after I had already applied for the VISA card online) advertising the VISA card states "Earn 5,000 bonus points after making your first qualifying transaction"...then the next bullet point says "Earn double Royal Points for RCCI purchases"...so I didn't know if the 5,000 (first transaction)x2(if it is a RCCI purchase)=10,000 first transaction points, or if whatever my first transaction is will earn the 10,000 points. The bonus points offered can vary from month to month. Sometimes it's 5,000, sometimes 10,000, sometimes even 15,000! You signed up at 10,000 and now it's 5,000. Good timing. Use the card now for ANY purchase and you will get 10,000 bonus points. Let's say you buy $40 worth of gas. Your first statement will come through with 10,040 points on it. Now lets say your first purchase is $1000 to RCI for your cruise. You will get double points for that (2,000), and the 10,000 bonus points so your first statement will have 12,000 points on it.

The Savings Certificate is totally separate from the Visa point system. You can use both of them.

You'll love your Visa. Every time you use it you'll say to yourself, "there's more money for my cruise".

I made a purchase for $1.31 at CVS to get my 15,000 points in 2005......they had a great deal going.......we each got one for 30,000 easy points.

Wow! How cool is that?! :D

Thanks everyone...I'm going to go ahead and use my VISA card and get the 10,000 points, then watch for a good deal on the Alaskan cruise. :)

The visa card says "any qualifying charge"; gas qualifies as a qualifying charge; so u will get your 10,000 bonus points. I have had my card for about six weeks and got my first statement in the mail. We already have 18,000 points and we aren't cruising until Dec 11.

The visa card says "any qualifying charge"; gas qualifies as a qualifying charge; so u will get your 10,000 bonus points. I have had my card for about six weeks and got my first statement in the mail. We already have 18,000 points and we aren't cruising until Dec 11.

That's great! I wish I had gotten the card in time to put my patio furniture purchase on it :(...or that I would have waited to buy the furniture! :rolleyes:

Archived