Hubbard Glacier - Royal Carribean

runner5

We will be on the Royal Carribean Radiance of the Seas in August, I was wondering we I should be when we are at Hubbard Glacier. That is, is there a "best" spot to be on the boat? We are there from 7 am to 11 am, how early should I "claim" a spot?

The Captain will pivot the ship so that everyone on all sides can see the glacier.

Indeed, every spot at the railings is taken, and as well, against the instructions of staff people tend to congregate inside the Windjammer café and just stay sitting at the tables. Put on your outerwear and go outside on deck - you can hear the glacier "calving". It's really something because you will see it first and then hear it as the speed of sound catches up. Very cool. :)

The Captain will pivot the ship so that everyone on all sides can see the glacier.

Indeed, every spot at the railings is taken, and as well, against the instructions of staff people tend to congregate inside the Windjammer café and just stay sitting at the tables. Put on your outerwear and go outside on deck - you can hear the glacier "calving". It's really something because you will see it first and then hear it as the speed of sound catches up. Very cool. :)

I agree with Langley, Hubbard Glacier is great to see and hear. Enjoy your cruise.

Hubbard has been calving like crazy lately but that means that there are good days and bad days. I just left there 3 hours ago and we couldn't get within 3 miles becuuse of thick ice. But "anywhere outside" is where you want to be - on the Radiance they open the helicopter pad on the bow - that's promo.

For me, a must is forward viewing, WELL before you get to the glacier. It is very scenic sailing. Then I move with the ship. IF you are OK with the "turn" view, it is only a fraction of the total viewing potential. And you never know when it may calve.

The front rail on deck 12 is perfect. We were treated to a great show last week and got to within 400 yards. With rough weather leading up to it, the crowds started gathering maybe 30 minutes or so prior.

Thank you for all the info. I just want to check my understanding. We arrive at 7:00 AM so I should be on deck 12 BY 6:30 am and should move as the boat turns, correct? Thank you again!!!

I am out WAY before that. :)

Budget Queen you have given me AWESOME advice over the last couple of months so I totally trust you, so what time should I be on deck 12? (or a different place if you know of a better place). Thanks again!

We arrive at 7:00 AM so I should be on deck 12 BY 6:30 am and should move as the boat turns, correct?

Well, sailing into Hubbard Glacier is spectacular all along the way. Personally, I would get up really early, grab breakfast in the Windjammer and then a coffee to go, and settle in on deck. You know, you may find after an hour or so, you've seen enough. Or, it might be raining and you've had enough. Or it might be brilliant sunshine and you stay for hours. You can always have a nap later in the day.

Don't worry about the details - it will be magnificent, so just play it by ear. :)

Budget Queen you have given me AWESOME advice over the last couple of months so I totally trust you, so what time should I be on deck 12? (or a different place if you know of a better place). Thanks again!

"Me", it's about volume- seeing as much as I can. I am out 1/2 hour prior to dawn. :)

Do what is right for you.

Archived