10:05am flight. Will we make it?

I said that airports in cruise ports seemed to be more forgiving in late arrivals. That again has been my experience.

Just curious, but in what way have you seen them be more forgiving of late arriving passengers? Holding planes? Letting people cut ahead in the security line? I'm really curious because short of something like that, I don't really understand what they could possibly do to be "forgiving" of late pax, and I have never seen any difference in the way folks are treated at FLL or anywhere else. I mean, you are either there in time and you make your flight, or you're late and you don't; what can the airport personnel do? :confused:

In perfect conditions the ship will arrive on time and your luggage will be easily located or you will have self disembarked (Remember that no matter how heavy your bags are, you will need to carry them down multiple stairways yourself.)

The transportation will be running on time and there will not be traffic jams.

The check-in lines at the airport will be short or non-existant.

Your credit card will scan instantly for your baggage fees. And, that same checked bag will deffinately be under the maximum allowable weight so you will not have to argue about excess fees.

The person(s) going through the security check ahead of you will have all of their ID's and tickets in order.

Your carry-on bags will not be overstuffed and so, will not need to be checked at the last minute.

Anything else?

You aren't delayed at security because:

-there are too few lines open

-you are in a "regular" line and are being being held at bay in favor of a "priority" line (for those with airline status/perks)

-the person ahead of you keeps having to back up and pass through the scanner AGAIN because they still havent removed all of their jewelry, cell phone, large belt buckle, etc.

There's NOTHING worse than trying to "kill" time after a vacation, waiting for your flight home!

Actually missing your flight because you booked one that was too early is far, far, far worse than having to kill some time waiting for a later flight that allowed you some wiggle room in case of delays.

We're sailing the Navigator of the Seas this fall out of Ft. Lauderdale. The ship returns at 7am. Our flight out of Ft. Lauderdale is at 10:05am. Do you think we'll make it:confused:

Yes. You will get in and be cleared to start express departure at 7:30 am, at which time you'll stand in a long line of other people who are also trying to get off the ship as early as possible. You'll nervously look at your watch 73 times as you wait to get through customs/immigration. At 8:15, you will be clear of the ship and looking for a cab. You will nervously check your watch another 14 times during the cab ride and grumble under your breath 3 times about the traffic. But...you will arrive at the airport at 8:40, check in and check your luggage, then head to the security line. The line will be long, so you'll nervously check your watch another 11 times as you go through the line.

You'll be held up a little extra by the person a few spots ahead of you in line, who forgot to remove all the liquids from her carry-on, before putting it through the scanner. Then, once you hit security, you'll be one of the ones selected for extra screening, because of your nervous demeanor. But, you finally get through all that and be at your gate at 9:30, with a few minutes to spare before boarding begins.

Have a good trip. :D

You aren't delayed at security because:

-there are too few lines open

-you are in a "regular" line and are being being held at bay in favor of a "priority" line (for those with airline status/perks)

-the person ahead of you keeps having to back up and pass through the scanner AGAIN because they still havent removed all of their jewelry, cell phone, large belt buckle, etc.

Hi: You could possibly make the flight if everything runs exactly on time to the second! I would NEVER, EVER chance so early a flight. TA's, Ship lines, etc., all tell you not to book a flight before 12:00 or 1:00 p.m., just in case.

What happens if for some unforseen reason you dock at 9:00 instead of 8:00. You still need to get off, go through customs, get to the airport, etc. You could miss your flight. Then you need to pay about $50-100 p/p to get on a wait list for the next flight or 2. These are probably the same folks you cruised with!!

You get the picture....

If you could, I would definitely change my flight time and not get anxious the morning of disembarkation and spoil a wonderful cruise.

Have a great cruise!!

Don't put any bags out in the hall the last night of your cruise. Instead, carry them off yourself. I think this is called "self-assist". Then you'll be one of the first off the ship. Even then, your are cutting it close. I'd probably rather book a later flight, then possibly get on standby for this earlier flight. You might check with the airline now to see what your options are, just to have a "plan B" if you need it.

What I really suggest is staying the night in the arrival port and return the next day. You could enjoy the beach in Ft. Lauderdale. Some hotels will even let you do an early check-in. You also should arrive the day before the cruise and spending the night in the departure port -- please tell us you are doing that! I was on the Voyager of the Seas arriving Easter Sunday, April 4, this year. There was lots of fog. No one exitted the ship until 2:30pm or so. The people in our party had flights booked for Monday, so they were all relaxed. But there sure were a lot of worried people with flights booked for Sunday.

No, I certainly did not mean cutting in line or holding planes. I was referring to the ticket counter being cooperative in rebooking passengers, without charging fees, for example.

I was on the NCL cruise last November which went adrift in the Atlantic. After the ship finally made port in P.R., NCL had to scramble to find charter planes to get passengers from San Juan to Miami, an operation which took several days. Needless to say, many passengers missed their flights home. I was at the American Airlines desk, where passengers were being rebooked as best they could (it being a holiday weekend), and were not being charged rebooking fees. It is actions like that which led me to say that cruise port airports (in my experience) are more inclined to work with passengers needing rebooking than in other airports.

Bill

No, I certainly did not mean cutting in line or holding planes. I was referring to the ticket counter being cooperative in rebooking passengers, without charging fees, for example.

I was on the NCL cruise last November which went adrift in the Atlantic. After the ship finally made port in P.R., NCL had to scramble to find charter planes to get passengers from San Juan to Miami, an operation which took several days. Needless to say, many passengers missed their flights home. I was at the American Airlines desk, where passengers were being rebooked as best they could (it being a holiday weekend), and were not being charged rebooking fees. It is actions like that which led me to say that cruise port airports (in my experience) are more inclined to work with passengers needing rebooking than in other airports.

Bill

I think they are likely to be more accommodating in instances like the above, where a ship is significantly delayed or comes into a different port than scheduled. I'm not sure they'd be as forgiving for a passenger who booked a flight earlier than recommended and missed a flight just due to more "normal" travel delays.

I think they are likely to be more accommodating in instances like the above, where a ship is significantly delayed or comes into a different port than scheduled. I'm not sure they'd be as forgiving for a passenger who booked a flight earlier than recommended and missed a flight just due to more "normal" travel delays.
they

I agree. Hundreds of upset pax arriving at the airport late due to forces truly beyond their control is one thing. One person/couple/family arriving late because they decided to chance an earlier flight schedule....I doubt you would get any sympathy from the counter agents.

Well, you all do raise an interesting point. And it is true that my experience has been with delayed disembarkations where significant numbers of passengers have been affected.

It would be very interesting to hear from CCers who booked early departures, and didn't make their flights. If you let the airline rebook you (as opposed to buying a new routing on your own), how much were you charged?

Bill

The issue might be getting your luggage quickly. We have tried to keep our luggage to one per person and then "walk-off" which means you can leave as soon as the ship has cleared. You don't have to look for your luggage and you can get in a cab right away. The airport is really close so you should make it if you walk off

Archived