Downtown Fairbanks Restaurants / Ice Museum

happytrails42

It may have already been asked/answered but here it goes again ...

Looking for dining options in downtown Fairbanks. We will be at the Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge and will be taking their jitney ($5 RT) into downtown Fairbanks to see LeRoy Zimmerman's photo symphony at the Ice Museum. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Any restaurant recommendations are welcome -- thinking casual, burger-type and no, not McDonald's and/or their relatives -- we do love having breakfast for dinner :D if there are any good diners in the area.

My favorite downtown restaurants are the Thai House and Bobby's (greek food). Soapy Smith's used to be good, but I haven't eaten there in a while. There's a diner inside the Coop building but I'm not sure what they serve anymore, as it has changed management a few times. Try to get to the Morris Thompson Visitor Center a few blocks from downtown. They have free movies and evening demonstrations of native arts and crafts.

My favorite downtown restaurants are the Thai House and Bobby's (greek food). Soapy Smith's used to be good, but I haven't eaten there in a while. There's a diner inside the Coop building but I'm not sure what they serve anymore, as it has changed management a few times. Try to get to the Morris Thompson Visitor Center a few blocks from downtown. They have free movies and evening demonstrations of native arts and crafts.

Thanks for your speedy response Wolfie11 :D

Our flight to Fairbanks lands after 8 and then we have to get bags, transfer to Westmark and meet Tour Director. What will still be open on a Monday night. Will be hungry two long flights Florida with only and hour layover. Checked and the Thai House closes at 9:30. Thanks for any advice.

Just got back from Fairbanks this weekend. Had an awsome meal at the little resturant attached to the SpringHill suites. Everyone at the table were raving about the Ahi. Sorry I don't remember the name it was a long day! But if you find the SpringHill suites (right on 1st street) you can't miss it.

Just got back from Fairbanks this weekend. Had an awsome meal at the little resturant attached to the SpringHill suites. Everyone at the table were raving about the Ahi. Sorry I don't remember the name it was a long day! But if you find the SpringHill suites (right on 1st street) you can't miss it.

That would appear to be Lavelle's Bistro. They do have ahi on their appetizer menu.

http://www.lavellesbistro.com/

That would appear to be Lavelle's Bistro. They do have ahi on their appetizer menu.

http://www.lavellesbistro.com/

Thanks for the web link!

We're staying at the SpringHill Suites for our first two nights in Fairbanks, but I hadn't found a dinner menu (mostly cause I haven't looked). That is likely going to be the best choice for dinner once we arrive at the hotel at 6pm after 19 hours of travel time... If we can stay awake:eek:

Our flight to Fairbanks lands after 8 and then we have to get bags, transfer to Westmark and meet Tour Director. What will still be open on a Monday night. Will be hungry two long flights Florida with only and hour layover. Checked and the Thai House closes at 9:30. Thanks for any advice.

I just discovered that my cruisetour's train (from Denali) does not arrive until 8pm and who knows how long it will take to get to the hotel and get checked in. I may be in a similar situation of looking for a late dinner. I think maybe we'll have a big lunch in Denali before we leave. I don't know anything about the food on the train but can't imagine it being as good as a semi-decent restaurant in Fairbanks.

I just discovered that my cruisetour's train (from Denali) does not arrive until 8pm and who knows how long it will take to get to the hotel and get checked in. I may be in a similar situation of looking for a late dinner. I think maybe we'll have a big lunch in Denali before we leave. I don't know anything about the food on the train but can't imagine it being as good as a semi-decent restaurant in Fairbanks.

The train schedules are fixed, so, it's too bad you did not know this prior, perhaps.

The food on the trains is very good. I replied elsewhere on your options. But hopefully you will at least consider some activities your last day, as there are many to consider. But you have PLENTY of time, to just pick something up and bring it with you on the train. Overall budget 50% more for food than you would at home, when you are on cruisetours.

My DH called the Westmark Fairbanks and their restaurants: Red Lantern Steak House and the Northern Lights at Northern Latitudes will be open until 11 stopping serving at 10:30 on July 26th when we'll be there. So if you're staying there it's another option.

Has anyone eaten at these restaurants?

If your cruisetour is similar to the ones that we have experienced with Princess and RCI you won't have to check in at the hotel (they will give you the room key and room assignment when you arrive at the property) so there won't be any significant time involved there. (if you expect to incur incidental expenses at the hotel you will, at some point, have to give the front desk your credit card but it doesn't have to be done immediately upon arrival). We ate lunch (pizza) at Gambardellas in downtown Fairbanks and got very good service, while friends who also ate there had a waitress who apparently would have rather been anywhere than at work, who told them that it would take too long for them to have pizza and was quite slow in bringing them what they did order.:rolleyes:

We were at the beautiful Wedgewood Resort and a $5 cab ride took us to the Cookie Jar restaurant which had a very good menu at very reasonable prices. Very informal place but they are only open until 8 or 9 pm depending on the day of the week.:)

Archived