Questions about Rome Excursion

KayJay4

Hi all

At the moment I have reserved the Princess 'Best of Rome' for our cruise. We are 2 adults and 2 children. I am thinking of cancelling it and booking an independent one instead. (we are already doing one with fellow passengers from our roll call to Pisa/Florence)

What I would like to know is - how many people typically form the group that walk around? I am wondering whether it will be much slower to get around on the ship excursion and that we'll be better off going just as a family with a guide? I am really stuck over this and would appreciate any help.

Unless it is a Princess Elite Tour (added $$$$) the groups are usually larger than either of us like to deal with. The Elite tours are smaller with smaller transportation instead of large buses with every seat filled. We find private tours give us more time to see more things and not just loading or unloading a large bus or waiting for those few that can't seem to tell time when they are supposed to be back on the bus. :( Good Luck on whatever you decide. ;)

The last time we were in Europe I was a slow walker (using a rollator) but now use a scooter. One of my problems with the bus tours is that the bus is prevented from parking near the attractions. Sometimes it is a mile or more to walk from where the bus stops to where the attractions are located. If I am going to walk (or scooter for that matter) that far I would prefer to see the sights while doing it. The other thing I hated about the big bus tours is the people who can't get back to the bus on time. If I can do it then others who don't have mobility problems should be able to do it as well.

The "big bus" tours are typically close to 40 people, and you only have one guide. So.......there will be 40 people jockeying around trying to hear and see, at least 10 will care more about shopping than what you are seeing, 5 will talk while the guide is talking, and 2 will always be late at every stop.

Go with a private tour. Or do Rome on your own using the train (9 euro per person roundtrip, and that includes buses and Metro transportation around Rome all day as well).

I've used a company called "Driver in Rome" several times. (http://www.driverinrome.com/civitavecchia_shore_excursions_italy_4.html) and choose their "Rome As You Wish" option. I've asked people on my roll call to join us to share the cost so it winds up not being too bad. We put together a list of the sites we'd like to see and the driver puts together an itinerary based on location, traffic, parking, etc. They have vans that can take up to 8 people which can park a heck of a lot closer to the sites. One time, we were going to the Colosseum and the driver parked almost next to the entrance, he went and got our tickets, and led us in ahead of everyone else. Another time, we wanted to go to the Vatican and the driver knew exactly the best time to go with the shortest wait. I highly recommend them. FYI, they also do excursions in Florence, which are also excellent.

The big 'Rome' tours also take a long lunch, about 2 hours, which I would rather use sightseeing....but that is just me.

We did 'Rome on your own' - used the Princess transfer to the Vatican and then had 6-7 hours on our own seeing the sites, then got picked up at the Vatican for the 1 1/2 hour trip back to the ship. That worked VERY well for us and the city is very walkable or good public transport - but watch for pickpockets. We ate lunch on the run and a gelato while walking to the next site. Just make a plan and stick to it so you don't backtrack.

Take it from someone who has traveled in Europe with kids - do a private tour! The kids love being whisked around quickly in a mini-van. You get to see a lot more, a lot quicker and you don't have to walk as far. It is well worth the money especially when you only have 1 day in a city as impressive as Rome.

The big 'Rome' tours also take a long lunch, about 2 hours, which I would rather use sightseeing....but that is just me.
On my last tour of Rome, we asked the driver to drop us off at the Campo di Fiori for lunch. This is the flower market and there are stalls selling all kinds of things, most of it junk but it's still fun to check out. Trattorias line the square and there are fabulous gelatto shops with the creamiest ice cream in the world. We took just an hour for lunch (some people in our van wanted to eat but we would have been happy with just some gelatto).

Archived