What do your kids (boys) wear in the dining room?

Shorts of any kind on males or females arent really appropreate for the MDR. I would do khaki pants and a polo shirt, or oxford on non formal nights. We bring a formal gown for DD (who was 1 on her 1st cruise last jan) and some less formal dresses for the rest of the nights.

My DS(16) wears long (not basketball) shorts and a collared shirt. He sometimes wears leather sandals and sometimes his new tennis shoes. He wore this on his last Carnival Cruise (his first Carnival Cruise since they relaxed the rules) and plans on dressing like this for our next one in a month. This was the norm for boys on our Carnival Cruise last year.

I would go for the khaki pants. At age 8, they will also work for formal night. I agree about the temp in the dining room. It can seem much too cold after a day in the sun. Whatever the age of the child or the cruise line, it isn't too much that each young man have pair of long pants and each young lady have a shift or sun dress. Dressing for dinner is a nice touch and turns the meal into something a little more special. If eating at the buffet, that is a different story, but we try to make the MDR part of the whole cruise experience.

Shorts of any kind on males or females arent really appropreate for the MDR. I would do khaki pants and a polo shirt, or oxford on non formal nights. We bring a formal gown for DD (who was 1 on her 1st cruise last jan) and some less formal dresses for the rest of the nights.

The OP is sailing on Carnival. Dress shorts and jeans are appropriate on Carnival since their dress code is more relaxed on non-elegant nights. It is allowed in their dress code and there were many boys wearing them on the Carnival Freedom last July. OP since you are sailing on Carnival, your DS will be fine with some linen shorts on non-elegant nights, and he will fit right in with the other boys.

When they were pre teen, anything from really nice shorts and knit shirt to jeans and shirt seemed minimal to me. Now that they are both teens I've convinced them it was prudent and good to go kahki pants and dress shirt/polo shirt or the full deal including tie and jacket.

My daughter never seemd to have a problem or should I say loved getting dressed up. That is a good thing and a bad thing :D

I think in most cases the CC fashion police and the matre'd cares less about the kids as long as the parents are "presentable" ;)

What do your kids, specifically boys wear in the dining room? Outside of Elegant night (sailing on Carnival next month), are nice long shorts ok or should they wear khaki pants? I have a couple of pair on nice linen shorts for my son who will 8 at the time of sailing.

TIA!

:)

Archived