Bota bags - please don't yell at me :)

cpygrl

They are more or less like a rum runner wrapped in leather. There is no metal in them.

Theres no metal in rum runners either. So, does the leather make a difference? How much are they?

Inquiring minds...;)

Theres no metal in rum runners either. So, does the leather make a difference? How much are they?

Inquiring minds...;)

I think we paid $5 each. We bought two. We went this route because they were cheaper than the rum runners we saw online.

I think we paid $5 each. We bought two. We went this route because they were cheaper than the rum runners we saw online.

very interesting! Yes, please do come on back and report how it worked out.

Whens your cruise?

Well, good luck. Cheap bota bags are prone to leakage. Just ask hikers. Also they are heavy when full. If in a carryon the xray will pick up their shape. TSA people do know what bota bags are and are for, so won't be a disguise to them, whether in your carry-on or over your shoulder. If the scanners for checked luggage are the newer ones that can identify types of liquids, doesn't matter what the liquid is housed in, if contraband, it will be detected. Lots of ifs there.

Regardless of the success or failure of your attempt, have a great cruise and come back and give us the full story.

Well, while we're on the topic of alcohol, does the Bon Voyage store still sell liquor? I thought I saw a mention of that on the boards at one time, but not sure where ... I see only wine listed on the Bon Voyage page on the Carnival site.

Just a reminder. You do not have to sneak on wine. you can carry it right on. One bottle per person. :D

Yep - we plan to take advantage of that rule. We really just want a bottle or two of rum in addition to the wine so we can have some fruity drinks :p

Just off the Freedom last week.

We had 2 rum runners that made it our room. One was inside my husband's dress shoe. The other was at the bottom of a cosmetic bag full of french vanilla coffee creamers. I needed my foo foo creamers for my coffee. :D

I still bought LOTS of drinks on board. Carnival did not lose money on me. We even had some tequila left in the rum runner that we threw out because we didn't want to take back on the airplane.

Yes but you have to call the 800 number to order liquor. And the price is more than what you'll pay on the ship if you're buying your duty free liquor on the ship. Easily by $20 or more per bottle.

Are you referring to buying liquor in the gift shop on the ship?

Well, while we're on the topic of alcohol, does the Bon Voyage store still sell liquor? I thought I saw a mention of that on the boards at one time, but not sure where ... I see only wine listed on the Bon Voyage page on the Carnival site.

Yes but you have to call the 800 number to order liquor. And the price is more than what you'll pay on the ship if you're buying your duty free liquor on the ship. Easily by $20 or more per bottle.

Archived