Flying to the port....a question about carry-on bags

I am leaving this Wed. night for Ft. Lauderdale and my one carry-on bag sort of fits the size requirements for AirTran (our flight to get there), but is slightly too big (an inch or 2) for Continental (our flight home). It's a Coach duffel so it's hard to measure exactly. I would like to ask experienced flyers if this inch or 2 matters????? Will the bag actually be measured or will they just kind of "eye" it?? I would like to take it, it's a great bag, but I don't want to check it as I am already checking 4 bags. I will run out tonight and get a new one if necessary. Thanks in advance. By the way....I am going on the Oasis!!!!!!!!

AirTran requirements are that it be no longer than 24 inches at it's longest side. If the bag is 26 inches long/tall or longer it will not fit in the bin wheels in first longways. It will have to go sideways which will take up the space for 2 people. The flight attendants are very good at "eyeballing" it but just an inch will not be a problem. If the flight is not full the flight attendants are not as strict but 98% of all AirTran flights are flying full for the summer. If you do need to gate check a piece at the door of the aircraft because it is too big, you will not be charged the fee. It will go in the belly of the plane and you can pick it up at baggage claim at your final destination. You can ask the gate agent to gate check it and the same applies, no fee. Does this make sence? If not just email me. I am a flight attendant for AirTran.

E-Beth

AirTran requirements are that it be no longer than 24 inches at it's longest side. If the bag is 26 inches long/tall or longer it will not fit in the bin wheels in first longways. It will have to go sideways which will take up the space for 2 people. The flight attendants are very good at "eyeballing" it but just an inch will not be a problem. If the flight is not full the flight attendants are not as strict but 98% of all AirTran flights are flying full for the summer. If you do need to gate check a piece at the door of the aircraft because it is too big, you will not be charged the fee. It will go in the belly of the plane and you can pick it up at baggage claim at your final destination. You can ask the gate agent to gate check it and the same applies, no fee. Does this make sence? If not just email me. I am a flight attendant for AirTran.

E-Beth

We just flew Continental and when we gate-checked our carryons, we didn't have to pick them up in baggage claim - they gave them back to us just as we got off the plane. This was both at LaGuardia and in Cleveland.

E-Beth

How would you know that you need to gate check it rather than just check it with your other luggage?

<----only ever flown once EVER and had a carryon only.

How would you know that you need to gate check it rather than just check it with your other luggage?

<----only ever flown once EVER and had a carryon only.

The agent at the ticket counter may tell you that size-wise it can be carried on, BUT...one of the following could then occur:

1. When you try to board with it, the gate agent will tell you it is too big and needs to be gate checked

2. While you are waiting to board, the gate agent will announce that the flight is full and there probably won't be room in the overhead bins to accommodate all the rollerboards, and will ask if there are people willing to gate check any additional bags to make more room in the overhead bins

3. When you get on the plane with it and find the overhead bins are already full, a flight attendant will tell you it needs to be gate checked

Hope that helps!

If it's just a question of size, it depends....

If you are in the front of the plane, no Elite status and the last to board, good luck with getting any space in the overhead (I fly quite a bit and have to be the first one on to make sure I get the overhead space). Because of the charges, everyone is using the overheads and carrying EVERYTHING on.

We flew Delta earlier this month to Ft. Lauderdale through Detroit and I was amazed at what they let be carried on. One guy in Omaha had 3 bags. There was also a soccer team that had some duffel type bags that were twice the limit. And it was a full flight. Made getting off the plane a nightmare. People who were sitting in front had luggage in bins several seats behind. Of course they wouldn't wait for everyone to get off, they had to work their way back and get their bags. I don't blame people for wanting to save money on baggage fee's, but it sure adds to the frustration of flying.

When we flew from Atlanta to FLL we had no problems with the carry-on we had. When we got to the airport in FLL we were asked to put it in the measuring bin. Ours was regulation size but I had put something in the outside front pocket so it protruded a tiny bit over the edge pf the bin. (honestly the security lady had to point out what she considered the problem to be). Then the "surly" security lady told me to check it. When we tried to explain it was the same one we came from ATL with she curtly informed me they were MUCH stricter in FLL ...:eek:...so I did not argue and checked it.......:mad:

While waiting for my flight I watched at least 6 other passengers come by with the exact carryon I was made to check.....4 of which were even the same color as mine!!! In hindsight we should have gone around and gotten in another line and would have probably gotten through.

Oh well........since I really have decided I really hate to fly I will be driving to any port I cruise from, from now on. I'm not going to have to deal with this garbage anymore (unless it's an emergency and I just have to fly)......

Glad you got a new bag and what a great deal! I flew this past Sunday and my seat on both flights were in the back of the plane. It was fun watching people trying to push oversized bags in the bins. And the flight attendants were watching people struggle and when I struck up a conversation with them, they readily admitted that the baggage charges have made their jobs more difficult. And they refuse to help anymore because carry-ons have become sooooooooo heavy. Both flight attendants wish the charges were for carry-ons instead of checked.

The agent at the ticket counter may tell you that size-wise it can be carried on, BUT...one of the following could then occur:

1. When you try to board with it, the gate agent will tell you it is too big and needs to be gate checked

2. While you are waiting to board, the gate agent will announce that the flight is full and there probably won't be room in the overhead bins to accommodate all the rollerboards, and will ask if there are people willing to gate check any additional bags to make more room in the overhead bins

3. When you get on the plane with it and find the overhead bins are already full, a flight attendant will tell you it needs to be gate checked

Hope that helps!

that helped SO MUCH! Thank you :)

I am leaving this Wed. night for Ft. Lauderdale and my one carry-on bag sort of fits the size requirements for AirTran (our flight to get there), but is slightly too big (an inch or 2) for Continental (our flight home). It's a Coach duffel so it's hard to measure exactly. I would like to ask experienced flyers if this inch or 2 matters????? Will the bag actually be measured or will they just kind of "eye" it?? I would like to take it, it's a great bag, but I don't want to check it as I am already checking 4 bags. I will run out tonight and get a new one if necessary. Thanks in advance. By the way....I am going on the Oasis!!!!!!!!

I've never noticed them checking the size of any carry-ons. I quess some may do this, but none of the ones we have flown on.

Why are you taking four bags? Do you really need that many clothes? I'm only saying this because handling all that luggage could be a real problem! Good luck, and have a great time on your cruise!:)

We flew Delta earlier this month to Ft. Lauderdale through Detroit and I was amazed at what they let be carried on. One guy in Omaha had 3 bags. There was also a soccer team that had some duffel type bags that were twice the limit. And it was a full flight. Made getting off the plane a nightmare. People who were sitting in front had luggage in bins several seats behind. Of course they wouldn't wait for everyone to get off, they had to work their way back and get their bags. I don't blame people for wanting to save money on baggage fee's, but it sure adds to the frustration of flying.

No kidding! I was on a Delta flight a couple of weeks ago from Dallas through Detriot. The flight was delayed in Dallas which put a lot of people on the verge of missing their connections in Detroit. We were further delayed leaving the gate because people were dragging huge bags on that couldn't fit and the overheads were full. The line down the isle came to a stand still. After 20 minutes of this the stewardess finally announced that those with bags that couldn't find a spot will have to bring them forward. That meant more delays as people tried to pass each other in the isle with large bags. I could see the level of frustration rising among those who knew they might miss their connections. I bet it delayed us an extra 30 minutes to get everyone seated so we could push back. At Detroit most of us had to run to our connecting flights because a few people caused a delay. I feel in situations like this, the flight crew needs to step in earlier before everything comes to a stand still in the isles.

E-Beth

Hi E-beth,

I'll be taking my first air-tran flight in August -to Puerto Rico - not the cheapest carrier but the only non-stop from MCO...so here's my question.

I only want to check one piece since there is a charge per bag. This is VERY difficult for a cruise. I need shoes. The only way to keep that one bag below 50 pounds is to carry on my shoes and electronics. They claim the carry on limit is 40 pounds. Ugh! Will anyone notice if it ways more? I don't think it gets weighed on the conveyer going through security plus how do they know which airline I'm going on? I've never read off a carry ob weight limit until now. I once carried on the same piece of luggage jam packed with mardi gras beads and I could barely lift it off the ground. I know it was over 40 pounds.

I don't want to pay for a second checked bag. What should I expect?. I know the suitcase is acceptable in size as a carry on.

Gina

Hi E-beth,

I'll be taking my first air-tran flight in August -to Puerto Rico - not the cheapest carrier but the only non-stop from MCO...so here's my question.

I only want to check one piece since there is a charge per bag. This is VERY difficult for a cruise. I need shoes. The only way to keep that one bag below 50 pounds is to carry on my shoes and electronics. They claim the carry on limit is 40 pounds. Ugh! Will anyone notice if it ways more? I don't think it gets weighed on the conveyer going through security plus how do they know which airline I'm going on? I've never read off a carry ob weight limit until now. I once carried on the same piece of luggage jam packed with mardi gras beads and I could barely lift it off the ground. I know it was over 40 pounds.

I don't want to pay for a second checked bag. What should I expect?. I know the suitcase is acceptable in size as a carry on.

Gina

Wow, a 40 lb. carry on? Have you packed a bag up to 40 lbs. and then tried to lift it up over your head?

But, that's not really your question and not really any of my business (unless you drop that 40 lb. bag on my head :rolleyes:), so my suggestion would be to look for a lighter weight bag. There are a lot of luggage companies out there making lightweight bags, some of them less than 7 lbs. for a rollaboard. Or, if you are strong enough, a non-rolling duffle can hold a lot more than a rollaboard. My daughter has a non-rolling duffle, she took it on a cruise and it held several pair of shoes, her makeup bag, hair dryer, flat iron and I think it weighed between 20-30 lbs., we had to take turns carrying it and set it down every chance we got...dang that thing was heavy!

My other suggestion would be (and many women don't like this) to cut back on your shoes. Plan what you are going to wear from the shoes up. I've cut back as much as I can, but I still take 5 pair (only packing 4), I have over 100 pair of shoes in my closet, so I am a shoe lover but I know this can be done. If I were to weigh just my shoes that are packed, I don't think it would reach 5 lbs.

Then, cut back on toiletries and only take sample sizes. I pack some in the checked bag, some in the 3-1-1 bag and use as much powder product as possible. I've weighed my toiletry/makeup bag and it weighs less than 2 lbs.

My 24 inch checked bag, fully packed, comes in at 38-42 lbs., so I just can't understand how someone can pack 40 lbs. into a carry on :confused: No way would I ever want to schlepp my 24" bag onto an airplane.

I'm surprised AirTran has such a generous carry on limit, a 24" bag is huge! I sell luggage part time and most domestic airlines only allow 22" bags and some are starting to come down on those, 20" bags are becoming more popular. A couple of companies (higher end lines) are building bags that have the same capacity as the 22", they are wider instead of taller. That said, if you have to transfer to a different airline, don't be surprised if that 24" case gets taken away from you at the gate. Be careful to pack jewelry, meds and electronics in your personal case.

International travel not only limits the size of the bag but the weight as well, so check all airlines that you will be flying before selecting which bag to take.

"Cut back on shoes" :eek: Obviously you don't know MommaBean. Gina is a paragon of fashion! And been on so many cruises that I think she must have packing down to an artform.

Airtran does not at any point weigh your carry-on. I swear I've seen some that must have had gold bars in them they were so heavy. But.... don't expect the flight attendant to help you lift it. Our motto is - You packed it, You lift it!

Yes! I can't agree with all of you more about how horrible the carry-on baggage situation has gotten. It is a nightmare for the flight attendants!!!! Ticketing does not care. The gate agent usually does not care. The passenger gets to the door of the aircraft and we (the FA) has to tell you that your bag can not go because FAA fines us (the FA) if we do not comply with the FAA carry on bag limits. They fine us personally, not our company. I now carry a tape measure in my pocket so people won't argue with me. At AirTran we try to stop the roller's from coming on the minute we know the bins are full instead of having you bring them back off. Most of our flight delays are because of baggage issues.

Gina - make sure you get on the plane as soon as possible so you do have space for your bag in the overhead bins. People who wait to board last often can not bring their bags on and have to be gate checked.

Love ya! E-Beth

When we flew from Atlanta to FLL we had no problems with the carry-on we had. When we got to the airport in FLL we were asked to put it in the measuring bin. Ours was regulation size but I had put something in the outside front pocket so it protruded a tiny bit over the edge pf the bin. (honestly the security lady had to point out what she considered the problem to be). Then the "surly" security lady told me to check it. When we tried to explain it was the same one we came from ATL with she curtly informed me they were MUCH stricter in FLL ...:eek:...so I did not argue and checked it.......:mad:

While waiting for my flight I watched at least 6 other passengers come by with the exact carryon I was made to check.....4 of which were even the same color as mine!!! In hindsight we should have gone around and gotten in another line and would have probably gotten through.

Had the same problem flying out of Laguardia a few years ago. Same surly security person must have transferred to FLL.

No kidding! I was on a Delta flight a couple of weeks ago from Dallas through Detriot. The flight was delayed in Dallas which put a lot of people on the verge of missing their connections in Detroit. We were further delayed leaving the gate because people were dragging huge bags on that couldn't fit and the overheads were full. The line down the isle came to a stand still. After 20 minutes of this the stewardess finally announced that those with bags that couldn't find a spot will have to bring them forward. That meant more delays as people tried to pass each other in the isle with large bags. I could see the level of frustration rising among those who knew they might miss their connections. I bet it delayed us an extra 30 minutes to get everyone seated so we could push back. At Detroit most of us had to run to our connecting flights because a few people caused a delay. I feel in situations like this, the flight crew needs to step in earlier before everything comes to a stand still in the isles.

I used to fly one of the 50 seaters on US Airways fairly frequently. I knew that my mid size duffle would not fit in the over head bin and automatically walked over to give it to the ground crew. He insisted it would fit in the over head. So I had to lug it on the plane, try and fit it in and then get off the plane to give it back to the same guy. :rolleyes:

Hi E-beth,

Gina

What I do is to have a good size wheeled carryon and my personal bag holds all of my electronics. No one has ever said what constitutes a purse. :D

People who were sitting in front had luggage in bins several seats behind. Of course they wouldn't wait for everyone to get off, they had to work their way back and get their bags. I don't blame people for wanting to save money on baggage fee's, but it sure adds to the frustration of flying.

If that was one of the flights where they load back to front - the folks sitting in the back of the plane probably had filled up the forward bins so if you were in the front rows you had to go back and find an empty space.

That is one thing that ticks me off more than the person in front of me reclining in my lap. I do not understand why the flight attendents do not monitor it better. :mad:

Delta has been extremely strict about carry-ons. I have a carryon with an expandable part with pockets... the pockets make the bag seem bigger so i always have to test it in the bin in front of the attendant.

Fun times. :rolleyes:

Wow, a 40 lb. carry on? Have you packed a bag up to 40 lbs. and then tried to lift it up over your head?

But, that's not really your question and not really any of my business (unless you drop that 40 lb. bag on my head :rolleyes:), so my suggestion would be to look for a lighter weight bag. There are a lot of luggage companies out there making lightweight bags, some of them less than 7 lbs. for a rollaboard. Or, if you are strong enough, a non-rolling duffle can hold a lot more than a rollaboard. My daughter has a non-rolling duffle, she took it on a cruise and it held several pair of shoes, her makeup bag, hair dryer, flat iron and I think it weighed between 20-30 lbs., we had to take turns carrying it and set it down every chance we got...dang that thing was heavy!

My other suggestion would be (and many women don't like this) to cut back on your shoes. Plan what you are going to wear from the shoes up. I've cut back as much as I can, but I still take 5 pair (only packing 4), I have over 100 pair of shoes in my closet, so I am a shoe lover but I know this can be done. If I were to weigh just my shoes that are packed, I don't think it would reach 5 lbs.

Then, cut back on toiletries and only take sample sizes. I pack some in the checked bag, some in the 3-1-1 bag and use as much powder product as possible. I've weighed my toiletry/makeup bag and it weighs less than 2 lbs.

My 24 inch checked bag, fully packed, comes in at 38-42 lbs., so I just can't understand how someone can pack 40 lbs. into a carry on :confused: No way would I ever want to schlepp my 24" bag onto an airplane.

I'm surprised AirTran has such a generous carry on limit, a 24" bag is huge! I sell luggage part time and most domestic airlines only allow 22" bags and some are starting to come down on those, 20" bags are becoming more popular. A couple of companies (higher end lines) are building bags that have the same capacity as the 22", they are wider instead of taller. That said, if you have to transfer to a different airline, don't be surprised if that 24" case gets taken away from you at the gate. Be careful to pack jewelry, meds and electronics in your personal case.

International travel not only limits the size of the bag but the weight as well, so check all airlines that you will be flying before selecting which bag to take.

LOL...no,no. I haven't weighed it yet. I AM concerned it might weigh more than I expect. It WILL have wheels and I can lift a lot more than I would appear to be able to lift.

It's not me who wants to bring the shoes...it's DH. He expects it. When I pack my 26 inch pullman with nothing but clothes it tends to weigh just about 50 pounds. And it IS a lightweight suitcase. I'm just worried that with a carefully packed carry on of all the heavy stuff - keeping my main bag within weight restrictions - it might just weigh more than I would hope...that being over 40 pounds. Shoes, toiletries and electronics, including a netbook, all add up.

I do plan on going through the toiletries and doing away with the "just in case" items.

I just really wonder if they ever weigh the carry on bags. I've seen some women who can't lift their own luggage into the bins....I ALWAYS lift my own no matter how heavy. And those mardi gras beads were so heavy I thought the wheels might collapse on the suitcase. I just haven't read of carry on weight restrictions until I read the Air Tran web site. I've only read size restrictions.

Gina

What I do is to have a good size wheeled carryon and my personal bag holds all of my electronics. No one has ever said what constitutes a purse. :D

I have noticed this....some men carry a much larger "purse" than I've ever carried on. This will have to be part of my plan...carry a big purse. I'm also shocked at what gets carried on as a carry on bag. I never understand why people are permitted to carry on something that won't fit easily in the over head bin. People will abuse other people's luggage in order to make their own fit in there, jammed sideways, slamming the door over and over until it snaps shut.

Gina

Archived