Laundry on HAL ships

Cruise Moose

Yesterday I spoke with Ship Services about this and was quoted $49/pp for our 7 day cruise to Alaska leaving this weekend. I have read on these boards that if you call in advance they quote $49/pp but once onboard, you will be charged $49 for the entire cabin....additionally, there is a laundry bag in the closet that you can fill & have it laundered for $20. Finally, I believe most ships have self service washers & dryers for use for a nominal charge.

Finally, I believe most ships have self service washers & dryers for use for a nominal charge.

Only the Prinsendam, S-class ships (Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam) and the R-class ships (Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, Zaandam) have self-service laundries. The Vista class ships (Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam) and Signature class ships (Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam) do not.

Except for the Prinsendam, the cost is $2.00 to wash, and $1.00 to dry. The Prinsendam has no charge.

All ships have the umlimited, by the bag, and per piece service.

WOAH! I had no idea such a thing existed - I would gladly pay $49pp for 8 weeks of laundry. It sounds like it might be better to wait until we're on board though.

THANK YOU (seriously THANK YOU)!

I don't think you can get 56 days of laundry for $49.

To sign up for the unlimited laundry - make the front desk your first stop once on board. All you need to do is provide them w/your cabin number, sign a sheet, and you're good to go. The first batch of laundry you send out, check "Unlimited Laundry Package" on the laundry list (no pun intended), and that is it. Very simple and oh so convenient!

Only the Prinsendam, S-class ships (Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam) and the R-class ships (Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, Zaandam) have self-service laundries. The Vista class ships (Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam) and Signature class ships (Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam) do not.

Except for the Prinsendam, the cost is $2.00 to wash, and $1.00 to dry. The Prinsendam has no charge.

All ships have the umlimited, by the bag, and per piece service.

Thanks for info! Is it coins, bills, or room charge to pay for the machines and is there laundry soap available for purchase?

Thanks for info! Is it coins, bills, or room charge to pay for the machines and is there laundry soap available for purchase?
The machines take quarters (available from the Front Desk - no need to take a roll with you). Laundry detergent is included. It is dispensed by pushing a button on the washer. ONLY press once or you'll end up with sudsy clothes that you'll need to wash again.

We used the Unlimited Laundry option on our 11 day Baltic cruise on the Eurodam May 29th. What a great deal!

We were in a quad,( 2 teenagers, my husband and I),so we generated a lot of laundry. We paid $77 for the length of our cruise and we generated at least 2 bags of laundry a day.

They did a wonderful job, nothing shrunk, everything neat and clean; they did a better job than I usually do :-)

I was a little nervous because I'd read reports about clothes shrinking or things being lost but that was not our experience. I would use this service again in a heartbeat!

The machines take quarters (available from the Front Desk - no need to take a roll with you). Laundry detergent is included. It is dispensed by pushing a button on the washer. ONLY press once or you'll end up with sudsy clothes that you'll need to wash again.

Thanks! We are just down the hall so for jeans and such that will be great! Faster turn around too! Plan on starting a load of "land" clothes as soon as we get bags while I unpack "cruise" clothes!

If you give it to the steward before 9am, you get it back the next day.

The brochure says to expect laundry to be returned 72 hours later but we never got it back later than 36 hours, usually 24.

This is great info. We are traveling with a one year old so the option to launder a "stuff the bag" for $20 (her stuff is small) or unlimited laundry for the trip is very appealing. The only thing that concerns me is she has very sensitive skin and I wonder if the detergent would be harsh - may just bring my clothesline and detergent and rinse anything in the room. I don't want "Spit up" stains "percolatin'" for a week!

There is a "pull out" clothesline in the bathroom so you don't need to bring your own.

I brought a small bottle of Method laundry detergent and used it to wash out delicates; the bottle has a twist close top and contains 10 oz., not too heavy and didn't leak.

See Post No. 14 in the following thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1214332

JORAY, got the rates from HAL in Seattle last month & posted them...

On all our cruises even the long ones, (21-28 days) we use the Laundry by the bag..You would be amazed what you can fit into those bags..I roll the clothes together & DH stuffs each bag for me..He's got long arms...He stuffs the corners with socks..The bags are so heavy that we would never put them on the hooks for fear they would break..On our Last 28 day cruise we used the bags three -four times..We send out all our daytime clothes including under ware, & DH's slacks & shirts...

Have not sent my very good (dressy) clothes out in these bags..I can either hand wash them or wait until I return home to have done..Ask your Steward to give you a new bag each time....If they run out of bags, which can happen, use the basket..They return our clothes beautifully laundered & pressed on hangars...The under ware & socks are folded & tissue wrapped in the basket..

Enjoy your cruise..

Cheers..:).Betty

Archived