Change in itinerary

p5woody

I am very frustrated with RC.

This is my first cruise and our itinerary just changed 1 week before we leave, is this normal? We are cruising on Grandeur of the seas leaving NO on 2/12. We are going to Key West instead of Grand Caymans and our day at cozumel has changed. I had shore excursion planned at each stop and now I have to cancel my plans.

We called RC after we found out that the itinerary was changed and they just said too bad, there is nothing you can do about it and we aren't doing anything about it either. We said this doesn't make us happy is there anything you can do and they said no. The customer service person just said RC has the right to change anything they want and you have to live with it.

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. If it is then it may be my last cruise. Is there anything we can do?

Boy it is disappointing to have itineraries changed especially just prior to sailing, but this does happen and usually for a reason. Poor response from the cruise line doesn't help with your frustration I am certain. I could be totally wrong about this, but our daughter who works at a major Fl airport mentioned to me last week that some are saying Grand Cayman still has not totally or anywhere nearly recouped from the hurricanes. Maybe this has something to do with it. I am sure sooner or later you will find out why the change. In the meanwhile enjoy your cruise and Key West is really a fun port. NMNita

The only thing you can do is go with the flow and make new plans. I'm sorry, but they do have the right to do this. Disappointing I know especially for a first timer. It's in your cruise contract, not sure exactly where, that they have the right to change ports at any time. If it makes you feel any better, it does happen, but not to a high percentage of cruises. It's happened to us twice. Did we like it? No, but after seven cruises, I've come to understand that it happens and there is usually a good reason.

I've been to Grand Cayman and personally wouldn't want to go there right now. The entire island was stripped, damaged and flattened by the hurricanes. It isn't yet back to what it was and wouldn't be the kind of experience I'd want as a first timer.

I hope you can make new plans and will have a good time!

Look at this in the positive sense. They are changing the itinerary for a reason and most likely because of the problems still in the Caymans. They still can not allow the full contingent of ships to dock daily so if your particular itineary that was set a year before and before the hurricanes disrupted things, then the possibility to get things switched is a real and certain one. Any ship with Cayman in the itinerary is subject to change at least for another year in my opinion.

Key West is fun. We enjoyed in last month and you may too.

On my first cruise they changed the itinerary on us as well, we really wanted to go to Aruba and they changed it! No reason, nor would they give us one! I wrote everyone and while I did get an apology from the top of RCCL, no one else at the company even offered that. We went anyway and had a great time!! It is just one of the downsides of cruising, but there are many more good things than bad! Do not let it ruin your trip and watch out as some people on this board are not nice about complaints like yours, most were not with me when I complained! Good Luck Though!

This is my first cruise and our itinerary just changed 1 week before we leave, is this normal?
Is it normal? No. But it's also not all that unusual. Itineraries change for various reasons. Your ports are never guaranteed.

Our first cruise was in December. We found out about 10 days before that we would not be going to Grand Cayman. We would be going to Costa Maya instead. Was I disappointed? Sure. But I certainly didn't let it spoil my vacation! We had a fantastic time despite the change.

As were were leaving Galveston (our port of departure) I heard the lady on the balcony next to ours on her cell phone talking about what they were going to do in Grand Cayman. She still didn't know even though there was a notice on our bed when we arrived in our cabin.

At least you know before you leave so you can make alternative arrangements. Key West was one of our ports. We really enjoyed it. With all the things I've heard about Grand Cayman since Hurricane Ivan I'm not that disappointed we missed it. It's not going anywhere. I hope to catch it another time when it's restored to it's previous splendor.

P.S. We had an excursion booked too. We booked through RCCL so we didn't have to do anything. It was automatically credited back to our SeaPass account. So you'll only have to cancel if you booked through a private tour company.

Sorry your cruise is altered, all cruise lines have the right to make changes without notice pretty much leaving you out in the cold in regards to your planned excursions:( ....but what a rude response from customer service at RC, geez all you wanted was some help or answers...very rude and unprofessional on their part! I can understand your frustration!!

Grand Cayman is one port that is cancelled the most due to weather conditions or high seas. I do think it was cancelled becasue of the hurrincane damage and the condition of the island plus a limit on the # of ships allowed per day.

The Granguer is a beautiful ship and I hope you enjoy your cruise and it won't be your last....I feel that it won't be!!! Have a wonderful cruise and please post on your return....HAVE FUN!!!!!:)

We are going on the Grandaur the following week, and so far we haven't heard from Royal Caribbean if we are going to miss Grand Cayman or not. I have been to the Cayman's twice and never to Key West so we wouldn't be disappointed anyway. Shopping in the Caymans are way over priced and we were going to spend the day at the beach. So either place would okay with me, as long as I get out of the winter in the midwest.

It seems that Grandeur is only going there every other week until the hurricane damage is cleaned up. I just met someone who had lived there (and owned a business there) for 12 years. He just recently moved to my area as Grand Cayman is just too devistated and he can't live there any longer. His stories of the devistation were heartbreaking. The whole island was under 6 feet of water. He said almost everyone who "had" a car had it float away into the ocean. I've seen pictures, it looks really bad. He also said that most of the insurance companies that people had out there went out of business/bankrupt so even people who were insured didn't get money or very little, if any. They are having a really hard time. They really lost everything.

Be glad that at least you are getting Key West in place of it. I just found out that Key West was taken off of my itenerary, and NOT replaced with anything. My first cruise with RCCL too.:(

Thanks for all the responses. I feel a little better about it now, I was just frustrated when I found out. We were able to cancel the Grand Cayman catamaran stingray tour with Captain Bryan without a problem and I have talked to some friends and have heard here that Key West is great.

I have one more question. I have a reservation through RC for a shore excursion (hideway power boats) in Cozumel but they have changed the day we will be there. Will RC automatically change the reservation from Monday to Tuesday? or will I need to handle this when I get on the ship.

Once again thanks for all the responses, We will have a great time it was just that we had heard so much about swimming with the stingrays. It was the one thing we said was a must do on this cruise.

I have one more question. I have a reservation through RC for a shore excursion (hideway power boats) in Cozumel but they have changed the day we will be there. Will RC automatically change the reservation from Monday to Tuesday? or will I need to handle this when I get on the ship.

Once again thanks for all the responses, We will have a great time it was just that we had heard so much about swimming with the stingrays. It was the one thing we said was a must do on this cruise.

Don't worry about the RC excursion - they will take care of it.

Sorry about your missing the stingray excursion. Gives you a reason to go to book the western Caribbean again?!?:D

We have sailed on the Grandeur and she is a great ship.

Have a great cruise!

Michelle

Archived