Another Pet Peeve!

LJH1

Is people usually singles that sit in the cafes inside or outside reading a book feet up on another chair while people are walking around looking for a table at the peek of the eating hours. Also the card players.

Is people usually singles that sit in the cafes inside or outside reading a book feet up on another chair while people are walking around looking for a table at the peek of the eating hours. Also the card players.

I understand what you are talking about, when you are looking for a place to eat it is frustrating when someone is just sitting at a table where you could potential eat.

But -- who has more right to sit and look at the ocean? You, who want to eat oceanside or them, who want to play cards or read a book oceanside?

I understand what you are talking about, when you are looking for a place to eat it is frustrating when someone is just sitting at a table where you could potential eat.

But -- who has more right to sit and look at the ocean? You, who want to eat oceanside or them, who want to play cards or read a book oceanside?

There are lots of sheltered places such as the card games room, library, lounges etc. Or go to the upper decks. Its much easier for them to take the book /deck of cards rather than two or three people having to trek food around looking for a spot. It's called common sense!

yup. while my husband and I love playing cards, the simple fact of the matter is WE can go play cards in the card room. People looking for a place to eat their dinner, cannot.

If it's not busy, by all means, play your cards or read your book at an eating table. We'll be the first ones to do that. But it it's busy, go somewhere else to read or play cards. truly it is all about respect & need vs. want.

At peak dining times, tables in the buffet can be full and they spill out onto the tables on the pool deck. So now who has more right... someone sitting, hogging two chairs just to sit oceanside or someone with a tray of food who doesn't care where they sit.... they just want a table and chair to eat at!

It's also called being polite. If I am sitting someplace and someone needs a seat, I will try to make room for them.

Of course, I would also be the person who asks the person hogging two chairs "are you saving this seat for someone or may I sit here and eat my meal." Now you have politiely put the chair hog on the spot... are they going to be rude and let their feet steal a chair or will they relinquish their foot rest.

This would be no problem on a European cruise as most Europeans will just sit down if there is available seating anywhere there is a chair. Even if they don't know you.

Its kind of neat, but then there are so many who've posted that they don't want to share in the MDR and will request two tops, so I guess that won't really work if there are majority Americans aboard.

This would be no problem on a European cruise as most Europeans will just sit down if there is available seating anywhere there is a chair. Even if they don't know you.

Its kind of neat, but then there are so many who've posted that they don't want to share in the MDR and will request two tops, so I guess that won't really work if there are majority Americans aboard.

I have a question... If we sit down at a table for 6 let's say, in the MDR, will other people just join us? Or will the m'aitre d sit all 6 of us at one time? (same question goes for the specialty restaurants) I would love to mix and mingle with different people at each meal but i've been wondering how that works.

One of our most enjoyable things about the cruises is the people that we meet. If the eating area is crowded, we always (politely) ask if we could join them at a table that isn't full. So far no one has declined or been rude about it, and we still email with some of the people that we have met. Yes, the European way is definitely best.

I have a question... If we sit down at a table for 6 let's say, in the MDR, will other people just join us? Or will the m'aitre d sit all 6 of us at one time? (same question goes for the specialty restaurants) I would love to mix and mingle with different people at each meal but i've been wondering how that works.

In the MDR's the Hostess may ask if you would like to share a table, if they don't ask then you need to advise them that you don't mind sitting with others. It really boils down to the time you choose to eat to whether or not they need the space.

In the MDR's the Hostess may ask if you would like to share a table, if they don't ask then you need to advise them that you don't mind sitting with others. It really boils down to the time you choose to eat to whether or not they need the space.

As for the specialty dining we have never been asked to share tables.

I understand the feet up and a single taking an entire table just to read if it is the busy time, but card players, if there are a couple playing unless the place is completely packed this wouldn't bother me one bit.

Nita

I agree - there is no excuse when it is peak eating time for people to take up eating tables for other activities. I try to believe that they are waiting for their dining companion to fill up some plates and return, but I doubt it. I think too many people have the attitude that they are on vacation, won't see these people again, and they can do whatever they darn well please. so rude:mad:

I think I am in the minority here, but I think the card players have just as much right to take up a table as the diners do. and no, I do not play cards.

Now, someone feet propped up taking up a whole table for four, when there is no where else to sit is another story. I love the idea to just ask them 'mind if I join you?" Perfect non confrontational solution.

At my grandsons school, on the announcements each morning, among many other things that are said is "to be a problem solver". Simple words meant for children, but oh so applicable in our adult lives.

I think I am in the minority here, but I think the card players have just as much right to take up a table as the diners do. and no, I do not play cards.

We play cards alot but if it's busy, we move because we can. I don't think during the busy breakfast, lunch & dinner times, there should be no non-food activities going on in the dining areas.

I think I am in the minority here, but I think the card players have just as much right to take up a table as the diners do. and no, I do not play cards..................

I respectfully disagree.:)

The card players or the book readers do not have to be doing either one of these things at the time people are looking for a place to sit down to eat. They have other places to go as people have mentioned. Those who would like to sit down to eat only have certain times they can eat and do not have many options of eating somewhere else.

I never hesitate to go up to a table in the buffet or Great Outdoors and ask to share. I simply ask if anyone is sitting there and, if not, would they mind if I joined them.

I've also been known to sit at the Great Outdoors with a book out and my feet on another chair enjoying the shade and sheltered area, along with the aft view, something you can't do in the library. I do try to keep an eye on the other tables to be sure that I'm not hogging a table but sometimes I do look like I'm hogging a table but I'm actually between people joining me. Maybe DS was with me for his lunch and he's gone back to work but another crew member or guest may be coming to join me in a short while. But if someone were to ask to share my table, and there is room, I will of course share. I don't have a problem with the card players either. It's not more then a table or two occupied so I don't see it as overwhelming. I've always been able to find a place to eat.

the only time this bothered me, was in Glacier Bay on our Alaska cruise.

I wanted to eat, and a lot of people were in the Great Outdoors just sitting at the tables watching :mad: The tables are for people that are eating IMHO. (as evidenced by the napkins, salt and pepper shakers)

any other time, I was able to find a seat easily.

I am one that probably would mind if someone wanted to sit with me. I'm not a very social person I guess, and would rather sit by myself (if my cabin-mates aren't there) :o

the only time this bothered me, was in Glacier Bay on our Alaska cruise.

I wanted to eat, and a lot of people were in the Great Outdoors just sitting at the tables watching :mad: The tables are for people that are eating IMHO. (as evidenced by the napkins, salt and pepper shakers)

any other time, I was able to find a seat easily.

I am one that probably would mind if someone wanted to sit with me. I'm not a very social person I guess, and would rather sit by myself (if my cabin-mates aren't there) :o

I think the particular itinerary has a lot to do with the "phenomenon" you observed. Having done the AK sailing on the Pearl this spring, I know what you mean about the Great Outdoors being "packed to the brim" on the sea days (particularly Glacier Bay)... especially when there's good weather, many of whom were not eating, but just sitting at the tables.

We've done many other NCL itineraries over the years, and it's never been a problem finding a place to eat on the decks, particularly if you're in a warm weather climate.

I don't think that anyone has more of a right to sit at the table than the next person. Just because they're playing cards or reading doesn't mean they have to go sit inside somewhere because someone wants to eat. When I want to eat I either go inside or if I see a table with an empty seat I politely ask if I can sit there. If they mind I move along - no harm no foul.

Archived