Internet Access on QM2

MerrylandCruiser

I agree -- wide range between per minute price depending on which package you purchase, or if you just go minute to minute. If you are Cunard World Club, check your benefits. You may be eligible for some Internet time "free" (you sign up, they charge you, and then credit you back based on your Club level benefit). Also, same fees apply whether on computers in Connexions, Library computers or on your own anywhere throughout the ship. There are many "hot spots", and some places that are not identified as such where you may find your computer works just fine (with the purchased access). I have had good luck in the past year or so using a laptop in my cabin.:)

Also, does anyone know how much Internet access costs if we use Connexions?

As of April 2010, on the QM2 they have internet packages you can purchase.

2 hours $47.95

4 hours $89.95

They also have a 8 hour package, a bit less then then double the 4 hour plan & 16 hour package, also a bit less then double the 8 hour plan. Hope this helps.

As of April 2010, on the QM2 they have internet packages you can purchase.

2 hours $47.95

4 hours $89.95

They also have a 8 hour package, a bit less then then double the 4 hour plan & 16 hour package, also a bit less then double the 8 hour plan. Hope this helps.

Same prices as last November. Always a happy surprise when prices haven't increased, isn't it?

Runners prices are correct. Beware ... internet on QM2 is SLOW. Often it didn't work on the world voyage. For a hi tech ship it certainly is one of the worst services I have experienced. Going around Japan the Japanese authorities put a ban on using it.

Runners prices are correct. Beware ... internet on QM2 is SLOW. Often it didn't work on the world voyage. For a hi tech ship it certainly is one of the worst services I have experienced. Going around Japan the Japanese authorities put a ban on using it.

It's not Cunard, it's the satellite bandwith. Internet service at sea is SLOW on any cruise ship or line. One other nice feature with Cunard: If you are world club Gold (starting at about 3 cruises) you get 2 hours included. If you buy more, what they do is subtract the 2-hour price from the cost of the package you buy, for example 4 hours for $42.00.

GB1, how could the Japanese authories put a ban on QM2 internet service?

Having done an eastboud in late May and followed by a westbound June 1, I can report internet connectivity and wifi are bloody awful. Wired in the Library and the internet center/connexions is ok. Wifi is terrible. Even though I had a 4 green bar reception signal on my laptop, It would take many tries to get logged onto the on board server, if ever. The servers are just plain over loaded. If you have a plan to use your pc like you would on land, forget it.

I did and just enjoyed the voyages.

Mike

Two related questions:

1. Can you take your laptop into the computer room and plug in, since it appears that's the speediest connection site on ship?

2. If you are on world cruise, do they allow you to continue using the prepaid minutes you purchased or do they close out your account at each segment?

To answer the last posting -

Yes, you can take your laptop into Connexions and use it there.

Prepaid internet use is not per segment of the world cruise. You pay and use it when you wish. However, the "free" time given to gold card (or above) people has to be used within each segment. The Purser's Office and the IT technician will advise you.

Left the QM2 yesterday. We bought 480 minutes for $167.50. The wifi is awful. We had to hold our laptop near the door of the cabin. The service was intermittent. I've been on 17 other ships and the QM2 is the slowest. BTW my husband took 5 computer classes and they were all EXCELLENT and FREE. The other cruiselines usually charge a $25 fee for their classes. The fastest connection for our laptop was outside Connexions.

I am in one of the Connexions classrooms right now on my laptop, as we head for Halifax. Speed is good, as it was in my room last night.

One thing I want to mention re the Cunard World Club - my wife and I are both gold members and according to the internet manager, we can each get the 2 free hours, so we have 4 free hours coming to us.

Archived