Snorkling: Fears!

nakaslady

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I have decided to snorkle for the first time in Cozumel in September. I have always wanted to do this, and am so excited! However, my boyfriend and I are also a little fearful and nervous about it. We are both great swimmers, but I think we are a little afraid of what can go on down there! Any tips for a couple of snorkle virgins? Thanks!

depending on where you live you may be able to find a local dive shop that offers a quick how to class in a pool. trying the equipment in a controlled environment first helps ease a lot of anxiety - the shops do this to try and sell gear btw . . .

What do you mean "goes on down there". Most snorkeling reefs are max 15 feet down to the bottom. If you are going off a beach you sometimes can snorkel in 5 feet of water. (I have never snorkeled in Coz, only dove) But in many other places, most beach reefs are in less than 15 feet, unless you plan to swim out a ways.

So if you are doing it from a beach, walk out to waist deep water, put your gear on and slowly swim out to deeper water while getting use to it. If you plan to do a boat excursion, get in the water and stay near the boat at first, if you don't like it just get back on the boat and wait it out.

Remember the fish (and everything else) are more afraid of you. You are big and to them that equals you are a predator. They will stay away from you (maybe only 2-3 feet away), unless you have food for them. You are in their world sightseeing. They are surviving.

What do you mean "goes on down there". Most snorkeling reefs are max 15 feet down to the bottom. If you are going off a beach you sometimes can snorkel in 5 feet of water. (I have never snorkeled in Coz, only dove) But in many other places, most beach reefs are in less than 15 feet, unless you plan to swim out a ways.

So if you are doing it from a beach, walk out to waist deep water, put your gear on and slowly swim out to deeper water while getting use to it. If you plan to do a boat excursion, get in the water and stay near the boat at first, if you don't like it just get back on the boat and wait it out.

Remember the fish (and everything else) are more afraid of you. You are big and to them that equals you are a predator. They will stay away from you (maybe only 2-3 feet away), unless you have food for them. You are in their world sightseeing. They are surviving.

Well, see, I didn't know that reefs are only 15 feet. Which is why I was asking. Thanks!

I'll tell you what. I grew up in the suburbs of Milwaukee and other than swimming lessons when I was a kid (which I hated) and swimming in HS gym class (which I really hated) had not been around the water much. I certainly had never done any snorkeling or swimming with the fishes.

In Nov 2008 we went to Cabo on a cruise and I booked an excursion to go snorkeling from a boat. I had never really even snorkeled before. I was even a bit freaked out at the thought of having to breath through a little tube and didn't know how I would react when in the water much less what I would see when I was in the water.

Well, we got to the snorkel spot, dropped anchor and got geared up. DW was in the water before I barely stood up to get my gear on so there was no turning back!

Got geared up and jumped in. After a minute or two and some minor tweaks to my gear I was having a great time. I was the last one back in the boat and I would have stayed out longer if everyone wasn't sitting there waiting for me.

I actually have a fear of drowning but have to say for some reason I feel very peaceful while snorkeling whether from a boat with no land nearby or from the shore.

Now I have also snorkeled in Cozumel, Hawaii, Belize and Roatan and just love it. Have seen some cool fish large and small and even had several large turtles within arms reach while in Hawaii. I've never felt scared. I do still get grossed out when a fish poops right next to me though, which seems to happen to me all the time. :D

I like it so much I'm going to try and get certified for scuba in Aug (did I mention my fear of drowning :eek:). We did a two tank discover dive while in Hawaii as a trial run.

Since you are great swimmers you are already a lot more comfortable in the water that I was. I think you'll have a great time! :)

I have not been on a cruise for over 10 years, but when we did go and booked an excursion with the ship, they gave us "lessons" in the pool before we went. Then once we got on the boat and went to the spot we were going snorkeling at, they eased us into it little by little (we started on land and swam out). Maybe it's different now?

I'll tell you what. I grew up in the suburbs of Milwaukee and other than swimming lessons when I was a kid (which I hated) and swimming in HS gym class (which I really hated) had not been around the water much. I certainly had never done any snorkeling or swimming with the fishes.

In Nov 2008 we went to Cabo on a cruise and I booked an excursion to go snorkeling from a boat. I had never really even snorkeled before. I was even a bit freaked out at the thought of having to breath through a little tube and didn't know how I would react when in the water much less what I would see when I was in the water.

Well, we got to the snorkel spot, dropped anchor and got geared up. DW was in the water before I barely stood up to get my gear on so there was no turning back!

Got geared up and jumped in. After a minute or two and some minor tweaks to my gear I was having a great time. I was the last one back in the boat and I would have stayed out longer if everyone wasn't sitting there waiting for me.

I actually have a fear of drowning but have to say for some reason I feel very peaceful while snorkeling whether from a boat with no land nearby or from the shore.

Now I have also snorkeled in Cozumel, Hawaii, Belize and Roatan and just love it. Have seen some cool fish large and small and even had several large turtles within arms reach while in Hawaii. I've never felt scared. I do still get grossed out when a fish poops right next to me though, which seems to happen to me all the time. :D

I like it so much I'm going to try and get certified for scuba in Aug (did I mention my fear of drowning :eek:). We did a two tank discover dive while in Hawaii as a trial run.

Since you are great swimmers you are already a lot more comfortable in the water that I was. I think you'll have a great time! :)

Wow, that is very comforting, thank you for your story! I have a feeling we will probably enjoy it, too : )

For some people (including myself) it takes a little time to become accustomed to breathing through the snorkel. My first snorkeling experience, several decades ago on a shallow reef on Maui, was pretty unpleasant. Breathing through the snorkel felt unnatural and left me hyperventilating. I left the water bitterly disappointed. Fortunately, I gave snorkeling another shot the next day. I soon became accustomed to breathing through the snorkel and a whole new world opened up to me.

My wife and I are now avid snorkelers and rarely vacation at a location that does not offer decent snorkeling. I became obsessed with snorkeling with as many different species of fish and mammals that I could. This obsession has taken us all over the world and includes snorkeling with playful seals off the coast of Loreto, Mexico and the Galapagos islands, reef sharks in French Polynesia, wild dolphins in the Little Bahama Bank, turtles in too many places to list, and the mother of all expeditions, snorkeling with Humpback whales in the Silver Bank (Dominican Republic).

If your first experience with snorkeling leaves you uncomfortable, hang in there and it will soon become second nature. Good luck!

The most cruicial aspect of Snorkeling is to relax and have fun.

If you are a swimmer and have no major phobias, then you will do fine. If you are not going to buy your own mask and snorkel, make sure you know how to try them on. You need to be able to put the mask on your face with no strap and nothing holding the mask on (other than your bare hand as you place it on your face). With the mask on your face and all hair out of the mask's skirt (seal), inhale through your nose and hold your breath. If the mask stays on your face securely when you remove your hand for several seconds, then you have a mask you can snorkel with. If the mask doesn't fit, ask for another one to try on.

You will need to know how to clear your mask and how to clear your snorkel. Read these http://www.snorkeling.info/snorkeling-basics/index.html; http://watersports.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_snorkel_and_use_snorkelling_equipment; and http://www.ehow.com/video_2364590_common-snorkeling-mistakes.html

I would add that when you are clearing your snorkel or mask, DO NOT exhale all of your air. If you do and you don't clear the item, as a beginner, you may induce some panic. It is fun, the water in the Caribbean is great, and the scenery great.

Good luck!

You've gotten lots of good advice here already, but I'd add this.

Make sure you get a "dry" snorkel [you'd have to bring your own]. It prevents the water from running down the tube and into your mouth and relieves the anxiety about that. You may also want to buy an inflatable snorkel vest. Just having that little bit of added "floatiness" will relieve the anxiety of going under.

I always hated swimming as a kid - and grownup, too - and never thought I'd like snorkeling. But once I got the dry snorkel and, especially, the vest, I'm "gung-ho"!

Hope you have a great time snorkeling.

BTW - Chankanaab Park in Coz is a great place to try out snorkeling....

I don't know if we even have a dive shop around here, I live in a small town in West Texas.

We do have mask and tubes for our pool....makes life a lot easier when trying to vacuum.

Is that enough instruction for us? We know how to clear the tubes, create suction on the mask, etc.

Also....this is our first cruise ever. We are taking a short 4 night one for a "starter" cruise to see how we will like it.

Our only stop is in Cozumel, I would love to go snorkeling, but am not sure what the best way to go about booking one is. Is there a site where we can book one on our own? I have heard booking through Carnival is expensive. My fear is going on one and somehow missing the boat when it leaves.

1. You are comfortable using a snorkel and mask from pool cleaning .... great, check that one off the list.

2. First Cruise and first 'ocean' snorkel ..... my recommendation is to stay with a ship's excursion. You'll erase the anxiety about missing the ship and have plenty of newbies around you. Ignore the horror stories of crowds et al. These come from experienced folks for whom 2 other people in site constitutes a crowd!

3. If you ignor my advice: I was on a cruise to COZ just a few weeks ago and then, as I'd experienced in the past, about 50 feet after leaving the port gate there were signs and hawkers for diving and snorkel trips ... no ressie needed. When Coz

was in my 'area of operations' I visited regularly and never reserved a trip & had many good ones by picking a guy on the pier. A GREAT dive is a random experience in many cases driven by the appearance of a 'creature' who's presence can never be predicted ... and/or visibility which changes by the hour.

(btw - this last post is NOT the OP)

p.s. on my most recent cruise I booked an excusion on my own which was also available thru the cruise line. I paid $5 per person MORE! I know the provider and was happy to pay it. But as I've said many times on this site you need to KNOW YOUR PRICES. Do not assume your plan is a lesser cost plan for an excursion or a purchase.

Our only stop is in Cozumel, I would love to go snorkeling, but am not sure what the best way to go about booking one is. Is there a site where we can book one on our own? I have heard booking through Carnival is expensive. My fear is going on one and somehow missing the boat when it leaves.

If you go on this board to the different ports of call, to Cozumel, you can ask this question and everyone on here that has snorkeled in Cozumel can give you the good excursions to go with, some times prices, and their good (or bad) experience. This board is wonderful and it has a lot of information on there. You can do a search too for snorkeling (under Cozumel) and probably come up with a lot of places. Or of course, simply post your question and be flooded with tons of info. I've planned my entire trip thanks to these wonderful people on here.

Oh, most of the places on any of the islands thrive on the cruise ships coming into port and they know when they dock and leave so they usually have excursions based on these hours as well. :)

My second snorkeling experience was in Cozumel. I booked the cruise excursion to the park (called Chan.... something). The equipment was furnished, including vest, and the experience was a good one.

The worst part of snorkeling in the ocean is when there are a lot of waves (and its great to have a dry snorkel!). This caused me to be seasick. That's why I'm moving on to diving...

But until then, I'll continue to snorkel, going to Bermuda Aug. 8th.

Have fun!

Archived