Vatican Itinerary - Would this work?

donnasperls

Trust me I have read all of the posts on the Vatican.

I will be doing my first cruise and first trip to Rome with MSC Melody. I will be embarking in Genoa and arriving in Rome on Saturday the 26th March 2011. The times in port are from 7:30am to 5:30pm. I am going to try to DIY. (I have another day in Rome on the 15th of April with MSC Fantasia if I stuff this one up ;)) However hopefully on the 15th I can see the Collusseum etc also DIY as I would have figured out the trains by then. :rolleyes:

When I travel (which I have done a far bit of) I do not like to be rushed or met schedules. I am there for a vacation and to see how others live. I am very much a go with the flow type of person.

When in Rome my only must see is the Vatican. I am planning on the following:

Train from Civitavecchia to Roma S.Pietro and then wander to the Vatican Museum. I am happy to stand in line to wait for a ticket. (I understand that it is Saturday and in the morning but am worried about purchasing a ticket and being late as I might stuff up the train). Would this be a problem? :rolleyes: How late can I be late for a prepurchased ticket? How long can the wait be to buy a ticket on the spot?

I was then planning to do an Audio Tour (understanding that I miss the secret door as I have to return the Audio). However I like to wander and take my time. But maybe I might snag myself a tour guide at the front of the Museum?... any suggestions?

I was then planning on climbing the dome and then wandering the rest of St Peters before getting back on the train around 3pm to get back to the ship (as the next port is another country and really do not want to miss it :eek:).

I think that this will give me about 5 hours for the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel and climbing the dome? Does this all sound reasonable?

I have full mobility and good fitness so walking will not bother me. However not real happy about the narrow staircase of the dome..but I will manage :p

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Waiting in line to buy a museum ticket could eat up 45 minutes to an hour of your time -- do you really want to spend 20% of your precious time in Rome waiting in line?

My suggestion would be this: make your Vatican museum ticket reservation for a time that you KNOW you can make (e.g., not the first possible train but the one after, allow more than enough time for walking, then add a cushion, etc.).

Then, if you DO get the first possible train, you can spend your extra time seeing St Peters first before going to the Vatican museum (since you are likely not planning the shortcut anyway.....and you pretty much pass right by the entrance on your way). OR you could check the line for the dome; sometimes it's short in the mornings, and you could do it first while your legs are still fresh. ;)

Other tips: do keep an eye on the time even though you like to wander. Set certain time points for yourself (such as, by 1:00 I should be headed into the Sistine chapel....). Otherwise you may end up with not enough time at the end of the day to get to everything you plan.

Also, if you don't want to do the audio tour, or even think you might want to use the "short cut" door, get a copy of Rick Steves' self-guided tour for the Vatican museum and/or his podcast for the Sistine chapel. They do a pretty effective job of explaining the highlights. However, if you are the type that wants more detail (as I am), Rick may not be enough. The audio guide does give more details, as do the Vatican guides, as do some other guidebooks. It's up to you which option is the more attractive.

Five hours sounds reasonable. If it were me, though, I'd return the audio tour gear then head on quickly back through the museums to the Sistine Chapel and out the back door. Otherwise, I think you will have to stand in the security line for the basilica, if you exit the museum and walk back around to St. Peter's Square. (I'm not positive, as we did go out the 'secret' door' and skipped the security line.)

I'd also go ahead and get Vatican Museum tickets ahead of time, rather than stand in line, giving yourself plenty of cushion.

And here's a third vote for getting the ticket in advance, but for later in the day, for the reasons Cynthia stated. I'd back into the time by figuring what time you need to be on the train, add a half hour to walk there from the museums, plus the amount of time you want to spend in the museums, and reserve your ticket for the resulting time. (For example, if you want to be on the 3:30 train going back, you need to leave the museums by 3:00, if you want three hours there, make a reservation for noon.)

See the basilica and climb the dome before going to the museums. Even in March it will get warm making the climb, better to do it earlier in the day. Fortunately, Easter is late in 2011, so you won't be up against those crowds in Rome.

Thanks so much guys. You have convinced me. I will pre-purchase the ticket and look at doing the dome first. See how the day goes on that one.

Cynthia...as I have so long to research before I go I may also skip the audio guide.

Thanks guys. I was hoping that you would chime in. You all do such a great job on this site.

• 4 weeks later...

Eurocruiser I have read you post a little more carefully now and that is exactly what I am going to do.

Now I am just being lazy and not looking at the other posts...do you know how long it will take to climb the dome and how much it is?

As I think that I can get to St Peters's EASILY by 10:30am (that gives me 3 hours to get lost and find myself again) I am planning to climb the dome and walk around St Peter's and then get the ticket for the museum.

Thank you for your help.

Archived