SeaDream I vs. SeaDream II

cicirider

i just came back from a cruise in the Aegean on SeaDream I and although we had a wonderful trip I was really struck by how less well run the SeaDream I seemed to me than the SeaDream II which we sailed on at Xmas for what is arguably the busiest week of the year.

The staff on the Xmas trip knew all our names by day 2, what we liked to drink and when and responded to requests with smiling alacrity.

This latest trip was great too and the chamber staff was equally good but there was no question it wasn't up to the standard on SDII.

The only thing I can infer from that is that the staff mix is more Asian on SDI and more European on SDII. Also we had Christophe, the head of the hotel management on board and he is top notch; and we also had the cruise line's owner and his family.

I am going back on SDII in September to sail from Rome to Venice and am curious to know what are the experiences of other passengers in this regard.

Do you think there really is a difference between the two in terms of quality or what is it merely that the owner was on board and Christophe was overseeing that tipped the balance for that one magical week (actually 10 days!)?

For my latest impressions take a look at my blog which is referenced in post 300 on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1154823&page=8

I am surprised that you felt that there was that big of a difference, but you never know. We like the ambience on SD II and it has been a number of years since we were in SDI.

That's kind of a bummer to hear. We leave on SDI in less than a week and a half. But, I've only been on SDI, and that was only once, so perhaps I should be happy that I'm living in a state of ignorance here. I don't particularly recall many people other than the concierge, hotel manager and CAD (James) calling us by our names very often. Doesn't really bother me, and I find it a little odd when people call me "Mr. [ ]" anyway. That said, I do hope our SDI service is second-to-none!

Since Christophe rotates between SD I and SD II, I don't think that's the difference. However, you may have been on board SD I when there was a higher number of "newer" staff working. We've found that on both yachts, depending on how many people are at end of contract (tired and needing that break after 4 months of 7 days of 18 hrs constantly working), how many people are on their first contract (less experienced) and how many really demanding guests are on board (if certain passengers keep staff up all night for parties), you might - just might notice a bit of difference. However, as gracious as they are, I don't like sailing with the owners -- we were on board SD II the week of December 13 with the ownders and I thought staff were stressed - perhaps since all the SD sales folks were on board and there were a lot of group seatings, the least enjoyable voyage we've had in recent year- if you can ever count a SD voyage as least enjoyable - which by standards is still wonderful. (and no Jim Avery - nothing compares to the voyage many many years ago - but that's all changed - so don't even bring it)

FT

Since Christophe rotates between SD I and SD II, I don't think that's the difference. However, you may have been on board SD I when there was a higher number of "newer" staff working. We've found that on both yachts, depending on how many people are at end of contract (tired and needing that break after 4 months of 7 days of 18 hrs constantly working), how many people are on their first contract (less experienced) and how many really demanding guests are on board (if certain passengers keep staff up all night for parties), you might - just might notice a bit of difference. However, as gracious as they are, I don't like sailing with the owners -- we were on board SD II the week of December 13 with the ownders and I thought staff were stressed - perhaps since all the SD sales folks were on board and there were a lot of group seatings, the least enjoyable voyage we've had in recent year- if you can ever count a SD voyage as least enjoyable - which by standards is still wonderful. (and no Jim Avery - nothing compares to the voyage many many years ago - but that's all changed - so don't even bring it)

FT

What, me mention the "kiddie trip from hell"???? Not me! I agree about when the owner and his entourage are on board. Staff "stiffens up", or that's what it seems like to me and a number of staff seem to be exclusively taking care of the Royal Party. We will do our best to avoid sailing with Mr. B. Other than that, we have had great service/food on both ships. We did have a noise/vibration problem on SDI that we have never had on SDII but the Capt and Chief Engineer seemed to take care of it. I will take either one over what we are going through on the Gulf right now!:eek:

Jim.

I have sailed on both and never noticed a significant difference, but I agree with Frequent Traveler, there are a lot of variables particularly in staff changes that could cause the problem. Never sailed with the owner, but have sailed twice with his daughters on board. Didn't feel they were a problem.

cicirider - Are you on the Rome to Venice SDII Sept 11-19? We are on that one. Started a thread on that cruise a couple of weeks ago, if you are interested.

I agree with WhatNot -- in fact, we were on one of the same cruises with the owner's daughter.

Our first SD was on SDI, which we thoroughly enjoyed. Our second was SDII and we loved it -- but we also had Christophe and the inimitable Capt. T. Since then, we've largely sailed SDI (mainly because of itineraries, not because of any differences in the ships). I truly can't tell any difference between the two (after 56 nights on board), with the exception that, as mentioned, some are very new and perhaps a bit nervous, particularly if the owner is on board. I do remember one of our very first cruises -- there was a very, very new waiter at breakfast with somewhat less command of the English language than perhaps he should have had. He invariably messed up our breakfast order but was so apologetic and tried so hard that we found the humor in it and became amused (rather than irritated) at what would actually show up on the table. it was so unusual and atypical of "normal" SD service that it has stood out in our memories!

I expect you'll be fine!!

Vandrefalk

DJ's DH and I have sailed twice on SD1 and twice on SD2 and to be honest we didn't notice a difference in the staff and service.

We have sailed with Christophe twice ... once on SD1 and once on SD2. He does run an outstanding job of making everyone feel special. I agree with FT the "newness" of the staff could have made the difference.

We've never sailed with the owner and his family so I can't comment on the impact it might have on service.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!

Having sailed I & II, with Christophe and without, I will say that he does make the difference. I come from the hospitality business and would have taken him back in my suitcase if at all possible! He has eyes in the back of his head when it comes to keeping everyone happy. This type of leadership goes a long way with any staff. He is a hands on manager and leads by example. While SD is my favorite ship with or without him, I would limit my sailings to a Christophe run ship if I knew how!!!

I too just returned from a SD1 cruise, and it was one of the best cruises (in terms of passenger mix) that we have been on. Everyone was friendly and laid back - we didn't pick up on any obvious rudeness or "me first" attitudes.

This was our 5th SD cruise, and I will say we also noticed some minor differences this time around. As has been suggested, there were quite a few new faces on board who appeared to be getting used to "the new drill." That said, we were still well taken care of and catered to and most of these new crew members were trying very hard to please.

We also had familiar staff on board too - like Donato, Xandra, and Michael (plus a few others), who all went out of their way to welcome us back and make us feel 'at home' again.

There is no doubt Christophe is a true master at keeping passengers happy and the staff on their toes (and rumor has it he will be jumping from SD2 to SD1 for Vandrefalk's next cruise), but I really do think when new staff is introduced it can make one SD cruise feel much different than the other. Otherwise tho', I feel the 2 ships are pretty much the same.

CDreamer

Archived