Opinions wanted: JFK or Brooklyn

kd1irk

Hi all,

Looking for opinions for our arrival in NY. Our flight is supposed to arrive at midnight with boarding the same day.

I'm having a tough time deciding if I should stay at a hotel near JFK then get a car to Red Hook in the morning, or if I should get the car at midnight to Brooklyn and stay the night there then grab a ride to the port in the morning.

I wouldn't mind the opportunity to have a nice breakfast before boarding the ship.

So, opinions are appreciated and suggestions for hotels welcomed.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi all,

Looking for opinions for our arrival in NY. Our flight is supposed to arrive at midnight with boarding the same day.

I'm having a tough time deciding if I should stay at a hotel near JFK then get a car to Red Hook in the morning, or if I should get the car at midnight to Brooklyn and stay the night there then grab a ride to the port in the morning.

I wouldn't mind the opportunity to have a nice breakfast before boarding the ship.

So, opinions are appreciated and suggestions for hotels welcomed.

Thanks,

Eric

That's a tough call. While we loved the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott I don't know if I would want to pay their price for just a few hours. The drive alone from JFK to the hotel is about 45 minutes so you're probably looking at least a 1 AM arrival. They do serve a wonderful breakfast, though and it's a beautiful hotel.

I hear you and thanks for the reply. That's our quandry.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

actually with getting your luggage, the chances are you won't be in the hotel in Brooklyn until 2 am....stay at the airport its cheaper get a good night's rest and then about 11 am head for the cruise terminal....

And once I said that...

Further discussion with my wife has determined that we'll spend the night in Brooklyn so we can explore a little prior to boarding. I know she wants to see Coney Island, so any suggestions of a place to stay where we can walk around and take in some sights?

thanks again....

And once I said that...

Further discussion with my wife has determined that we'll spend the night in Brooklyn so we can explore a little prior to boarding. I know she wants to see Coney Island, so any suggestions of a place to stay where we can walk around and take in some sights?

thanks again....

Brooklyn is HUGE (figure Palmdale/Lancaster together). NO way will you be able to see Coney Island if you don't take a lot of cabs.

IF you want to see Coney Island, I would still recommend you stay around JFK (because of what time you are arriving JFK). Then early in the morning, grab a cab or car service and go to Coney Island. Call another cab/car service to get you to the port. That is the only way you can do it and actually see anything. Most of the stuff on Coney Island doesn't open until about 10AM BUT you can have a great breakfast in Little Siberia and then go wandering around Coney Island. Then go to the port. Just plan on taking cabs/car service and forget staying in Brooklyn. Stay around JFK, use Priceline and bid the TOP star rating.

greatam: I really appreciate the reply, unfortunately, I just booked the Marriott in Brooklyn. We'll just make the best of it. If we can make it over to Coney Island, cool, if not, then so be it. Maybe we can grab a bus over...I'll have to see what's available.

there is NO decent place to stay around Coney Island. I agree with GreatAm(Gina). The problem you will have is luggage. You don't want to go back to Kennedy to get your luggage. Coney Island is best driven through. There isn't that much to do especially at that time in the morning. I would eat at the hotel(JFK)...get a car service to take you to the Cruise terminal and DRIVE via Coney Island. they shouldn't charge that much extra to do that. See what you want. Grab a hot dog at Nathan's(its open all the time) snap a picture of you under the Nathan's hot dog clock and go to pier. If you give the driver an extra $20 that should do it(IMO),

greatam: I really appreciate the reply, unfortunately, I just booked the Marriott in Brooklyn. We'll just make the best of it. If we can make it over to Coney Island, cool, if not, then so be it. Maybe we can grab a bus over...I'll have to see what's available.

You can get to Coney Island from the Marriott by subway very easily but not by bus.

There is a subway stop under the Marriott- Its the Jay Street subway stop. The F train goes directly to Coney Island and takes 45 minutes each way. (some of the F trains end at Kings H way but most go through to Coney Island),,,,,it will say which do on the train and they run about every 5 minutes.

BTW its about 20 miles from the Marriott to Coney Island.

You can get to Coney Island from the Marriott by subway very easily but not by bus.

There is a subway stop under the Marriott- Its the Jay Street subway stop. The F train goes directly to Coney Island and takes 45 minutes each way. (some of the F trains end at Kings H way but most go through to Coney Island),,,,,it will say which do on the train and they run about every 5 minutes.

BTW its about 20 miles from the Marriott to Coney Island.

That's awesome! Then I think we'll do that. Combine your earlier post with this one. Eat at the hotel, take the subway to CI, grab a dog at Nathans. Take some pics and head back to the hotel. I'm pretty sure the hotel will let us store the bags there for a few hours. Then head to the terminal.

That's awesome! Then I think we'll do that. Combine your earlier post with this one. Eat at the hotel, take the subway to CI, grab a dog at Nathans. Take some pics and head back to the hotel. I'm pretty sure the hotel will let us store the bags there for a few hours. Then head to the terminal.

use Arecibo from the hotel to the cruise terminal...not the hotels service. I am SURE they will happily store the bags for you but if you get late check out(2) you can leave them in your room and then just have the bell person take them to the place where your car service will meet you...

Is the Brooklyn Mariott near the Brooklyn Bridge? A walk across the Brooklyn Bridge is a worthwhile experience.

yes its on the street(Brooklyn Bridge Blvd/Adams Street) that becomes the Brooklyn Bridge....its two lights until the Bridge itself.

Archived