Fun, games, and etiquette

Peagreen

I've busily read through a few pages to find answers but laziness and a little desperation has set in, so if someone could give me a few specifics I'd really appreciate it.

We're going on a cruise next year from Southampton to Brisbane. We're from Australia and not to speak for all Australians, but there ARE some differences in custom that I want to be prepared for, so they don't become more than they should be.

Sorry to rehash what may have been asked by others but our experience of tipping is virtually non-existent. How is this done? I have read of auto-tipping so is that set up for you without consultation? It was not cited as 'auto' tipping in the brochure. If so how much is it and in what currency? Is it a fair percentage/amount? This cruise is a treat for us and we fully intend to respect ship board customs but we can't pretend to be wealthy and I refuse to worry about money on a holiday, so want it fairly prepared for, and then forgotten.

What is the procedure for onboard payments in general? Again what currency? We already have some credit apparently, so can we check easily what credits and debits we tally up as we go?

Laundry, a necessary evil. Should we be taking laundry powder (yes I am female and obsessed with washing clothes every day ;))

What is the ratio of tuxedo wearers to dark suit wearers on formal nights? I love a dinner jacket on a man, but we are flying into Southampton so luggage weight has to be considered.

Can we take a bottle of wine on board, officially? Can we take a bottle of ship purchased wine from the bar to keep in our cabin and expect it to not be cleaned out of the fridge if there is some left (probably not likely..)

There are a couple of other things that I should ask our agent like US visa requirements.. but I'm wondering about the dinner seating. We chose a table with the most people on it (six or eight, I can't remember). First sitting. Good idea?

There is no auto tipping on P&O. Tipping is by cash, usually sterling but any hard currency would be accepted, and the recommended rate is £3.10 per person per day which covers your restaurant waiters and cabin steward. See this

http://www.pocruises.com/Help/Money/

There is no need to tip bar staff as they receive a commission on what they sell.

All spend on board is charged on your cruise card and you can check the amount any time by getting a statement from reception. You register a credit card on boarding and your on board costs are charged to your card at the end of your cruise. However, I believe that on a world cruise, they split it up into sectors of approx 2-3 weeks and you pay at the end of each sector so you dont end up with one massive bill. The same relates to tipping as the crew may change at various points on the way.

Self service laundrettes are available on board at no cost but you have to provide the soap powder, which can be purchased in the shop on board.

The normal tuxedo usage is around 95% and would expect it to be the same or higher on a world cruise.

You can normally take wine on board. Should not have any problem keeping it in the fridge but they are a bit small.

For US you need to apply for ESTA for which there is no charge but they are thinking of introducing a fee later this year. It is valid for two years so you should apply now

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_c3D40F33B-5B4D-3184-7622-F34CE3FEFD38_kA25003A2-AA18-EE4E-5C1A-C07D1C78FCCA

We prefer to have a table of eight, so you have a better chance of getting on with someone on the table and it has always worked out well.

We prefer first sitting at 6.30 but this is personal choice. Second sitting is 8:30. There is also the option of a themed (i.e. Chinese, Indian, Italian, etc) buffet in the self service every evening. The will be ocassions, such as visiting Cairo, that the fixed sittings are abandoned and its free seating that evening due to late return of the tours.

There is also the option of the speciality (i.e. extra payment) restaurants.

It would be useful if you said which ship you are on.

Any more questions just ask

Brian

Very informative, thanks BrianI. I've just finished reading the info in the link you gave as well so that settles any lingering questions I had about tipping. At the moment an Australian dollar is returning just under 60 pence.. It's impossible to know when to convert to do the best.

The ship is the Arcadia and the cruise is for 40 nights. It should be lovely. I'm a little caught about what to pack. We leave in our Summer, start the cruise in the English Winter, and return back to Summer again. We'll be spending two nights in Southampton. Our agent wanted us to stay in London rather than Southampton for some reason, but we decided if we wanted we could still train into London on the full spare day we have. We shall see.

G'day Peagreen

We are Aussies as well - we are sailing to the UK on Oriana and returning to Brisbane on Arcadia (same as you ).

We are retired - and most of our life is spent either at home in the garden or out camping in the bush somewhere-- so we are real short of clothes. But I have bought a penguin suit - haven't worn one for 30 years!! I have put it on and look absolutely ridiculous in it!! :p I am sure that I will look like a pimple on a pumpkin - but I'll bet I'm not the only one!! :p

PS - from what I can make out - any similarity bewteen P&O Australia and P&O UK (ships) is purely coincidental! But - VIVA la Difference.

Barry

Archived