water in Ialian restaurants?

poss

The tap water in Rome is some of the best in the world. Yes, in restaurants they do want you to buy bottled water, but if you specify "tap water" most restaurants will bring it to you. Look for the fire hydrant looking spigots in the middle of the piazzas and fill your personal water bottles there. The water comes from the mountains and is so clean, you'll even notice the difference when you shower. So, don't be afraid, drink up. Because Venice is a different story...

After visiting Venice two times......I would be afraid to drink their tap water! I love Venice.......but I don't trust their water!:)

Get bottled water. Whenever you travel outside the USA you should get bottled water. It's not that water is bad everywhere but there are micro organisms in the water that we are not used to. Others will tell you it is fine but doctors who we highly respect who have expertise when it comes to these items have always advised us to avoid the tap water when we travel.

Keith

I respectfully disagree! The water in ROme comes out of the tap cold and oh so delicious! I was just there and even when it was HOT outside, the water that came out of the taps and fountains all over the city was always cold and refreshing...the best water I've ever had. We would buy a bottle for 1 euro and refill whenever we came across a fountain. Sigh...I miss Rome.

To answer your question, the water at restaurants is bottled--but they are large bottles....one is usually enough for a few people.

Venice? I read that Venice has very good tap water. So many confusing contradictions. Can anyone who has been to Venice tell me if the water is okay to drink? We were planning to bring bottles to refill.

As for St. Pete water, Florida water is not very tasty for the most part. You have to fill a bottle and let the hydrogen sulfide gas dissipate and then its fine or use a filter. Many people here fill pitchers and leave it in their fridge for a while. We have a filter on our kitchen sink. Its not in high enough concentrations to be harmful though. I used to work as a geologist for an environmental firm and we would pull water out of wells to test for contamination. That lovely rotten egg smell would always greet me as I lowered my sampling containers. :)

Update: Actually, I don't need an answer. I googled 'is the water safe in Venice' and found out the water comes from the alps..which are very close to Venice and is safe.

Venice? I read that Venice has very good tap water. So many confusing contradictions. Can anyone who has been to Venice tell me if the water is okay to drink? We were planning to bring bottles to refill.

As for St. Pete water, Florida water is not very tasty for the most part. You have to fill a bottle and let the hydrogen sulfide gas dissipate and then its fine or use a filter. Many people here fill pitchers and leave it in their fridge for a while. We have a filter on our kitchen sink. Its not in high enough concentrations to be harmful though. I used to work as a geologist for an environmental firm and we would pull water out of wells to test for contamination. That lovely rotten egg smell would always greet me as I lowered my sampling containers. :)

Update: Actually, I don't need an answer. I googled 'is the water safe in Venice' and found out the water comes from the alps..which are very close to Venice and is safe.

I havent been to Venice - yet ! but............

:D As you pointed out above, there is a difference is "safe" and "good" so I would still inquire as to the taste quality before chuggin' down a cool one.

We had the "awful" water in Vero Beach when we lived there :(

Archived