water in Ialian restaurants?

poss

We're big water drinkers (especially when the weather is beastly hot). In restaurants in the U.S., we always just get iced tap water. (and wine) I'm hoping that'll be fine in restaurants in Rome as well? I know that some restaurants there charge for bread, but not for water, right? Is the tap water good? (I know this is subjective.) Or: About how much does bottled water cost?

Thank you. We leave in two days-- very excited!

Get bottled water. Whenever you travel outside the USA you should get bottled water. It's not that water is bad everywhere but there are micro organisms in the water that we are not used to. Others will tell you it is fine but doctors who we highly respect who have expertise when it comes to these items have always advised us to avoid the tap water when we travel.

Keith

Waiters won't like to bring it to you, but regular (tap) water is fine to drink in Rome. In fact, it is frequently rated one of the purest in the world.

There are fountains all over Rome with potable water; carry a water bottle with you and fill up wherever you like.

Unless you have an extremely sensitive digestive system or are immunocompromised, there is no need to worry about drinking the water in any European country. Some taste better than others, however. Rome's is good.

If you asked for water they always asked gas or no gas :D As others have noted water in Europe = $ for bottled water, not your standard aquafine in a cheap plastic bottle but worst. The cost depends on where and what is offered, I think it was 2-3 euros depending on the size of the bottle. We easily spent 10-15 euros when we choose bottled.

We sometimes got no gas, and sometimes told them just water we're from "America" Never had any problems with them "organisms" YMMV.

We're big water drinkers (especially when the weather is beastly hot). In restaurants in the U.S., we always just get iced tap water. (and wine) I'm hoping that'll be fine in restaurants in Rome as well? I know that some restaurants there charge for bread, but not for water, right? Is the tap water good? (I know this is subjective.) Or: About how much does bottled water cost?

Thank you. We leave in two days-- very excited!

Get bottled water. Whenever you travel outside the USA you should get bottled water. It's not that water is bad everywhere but there are micro organisms in the water that we are not used to. Others will tell you it is fine but doctors who we highly respect who have expertise when it comes to these items have always advised us to avoid the tap water when we travel.

Keith

Nonsense

Tap water throughout Europe is as good as bottled water. In a restaurant you will have 3 choices. Ask for ice tap water and they will provide it. They are used to us. Still bottled water may be free or there may be a charge. It is served chilled. Carbonated mineral water is like club soda but may or may not have a taste depending on its source. It costs as much as table wine. Europeans attribute mystical powers to mineral water -the origin of many spa resorts.

Nonsense

They are used to us. Still bottled water may be free or there may be a charge. It is served chilled. Carbonated mineral water is like club soda but may or may not have a taste depending on its source. It costs as much as table wine. Europeans attribute mystical powers to mineral water -the origin of many spa resorts.

Found this out the hard way - I'd pick up a bottle of water and you gotta really look hard at the label. If it doesn't say "still" it's mineral and I was just not used to that - I drank it cuz I'd bought it but after two times I'd ask before purchasing a bottle of water.

We were there for a month and spent a fortune on bottled water in restaurants because we wanted it cold. Usually 2-5 euros/bottle depending on the size and location. Wine is cheaper but not in the same quantity obviously. Whrn we got to France it was very refreshing to be able to get a carafe of cold tap water almost invariably.

On the other hand, we found 6 packs of two-liter bottles in our local (Italian) supermarket for $1 total--best buy ever! We took two 6 packs to France where the cost was much higher--go figure!

Found this out the hard way - I'd pick up a bottle of water and you gotta really look hard at the label. If it doesn't say "still" it's mineral and I was just not used to that - I drank it cuz I'd bought it but after two times I'd ask before purchasing a bottle of water.

A handy hint: if you are somewhere where you can't read the label on the water bottle easily, just squeeze the bottle gently. If it's still water, it will give a little. If it's fizzy, the bottle will feel as hard as a rock. (This only works for plastic bottles, however!:p)

Lisa

And forget the ice... even if you ask for it, you only get one small cube. (I got ice at McDonald's in Australia... but nowhere else)

That's interesting. It's also what we were told prior to our first trip to Europe, but we were served ice in 90% of our drinks in London & Paris.

We spent 2 weeks in Rome last month. We only drink water and are ok with tap water, but we only ate at one place where they would bring us tap water (no ice.) We had to buy bottled water everywhere else. They don't want to give you water when they can make you pay for it. Yes, we spent a lot of money on water, but oh well, when in Rome...

I did purchase inexpensive bottles of water in small grocery stores to keep in our room fridge. Everyday I left with one of those bottles to carry with for sightseeing.

Interesting! I didn't expect precise consensus when I posed the question, but the great range of answers is quite interesting. I do appreciate the input. Thanks to everyone.

"Unless you have an extremely sensitive digestive system or are immunocompromised, there is no need to worry about drinking the water in any European country."

Correct! I do have a sensitive gut but I always drink tap water everywhere in Europe with no problems.

BUT...on my many visits to Morocco (North Africa) I drink only bottled water. I found that out the hard way.

We bought one bottle of water.......then used that bottle over and over again by filling it up at the various fountains throught Rome..... really good water. And I won't drink my water at home - too much chlorine (and I can taste it !)

another hint: instead of wine try the Proseco (which is actually a sparkling wine) YUM !

We always travel with our own bottles - in fact, have a nice carrier on each. We fill them each morn and looking forward to some of that Roman water I am reading about.

I hate to see all those plastic bottles that people buy...:( and the ship sells them for 2-4x the going rate on shore...:eek:

The tap water in Rome is some of the best in the world. Yes, in restaurants they do want you to buy bottled water, but if you specify "tap water" most restaurants will bring it to you. Look for the fire hydrant looking spigots in the middle of the piazzas and fill your personal water bottles there. The water comes from the mountains and is so clean, you'll even notice the difference when you shower. So, don't be afraid, drink up. Because Venice is a different story...

• 2 weeks later...

Keith

Poppycock! The UK has some of the finest drinking water in the world, from our mountains in Wales to our spas in Derbyshire.

In fact, the worst water we ever had the misfrtune to drink was in St Petersburg, Florida, it tasted very metallic, and was horrible, we ended up having to order bottled water. Yet, when we were in Miami a few years ago, the water was fine.

Anyway, to be fair, when we first started taking the kids on holiday to Spain, we were paranoid about not drinking the water so as to avoid an upset stomach (due to the different minerals in the water, which we weren't used to), even chucking the ice cubes under the table when the waiters weren't looking, and not eating washed salad.

This was very tiresome and so, on our third visit, after I forgot to remove the ice cubes and the kids and us were fine, we became less obssessive.

The kids are grown up now and whenever we visit Spain/Italy/Western Med we drink the local tap water - I guess our systems got used to it. And it's a lot cheaper than bottled water.

However, there are certain areas, like Turkey and Egypt where I would not temp fate, for fear up picking up a stomach bug.

But, for sheer nasty taste, that St Petersburg restaurant water takes the rusty bucket! :)

They don't want to give you water when they can make you pay for it. Yes, we spent a lot of money on water, but oh well, when in Rome...

It is mostly about culture. In Italy, it is "status" to drink bottled water, you prove that you have enough money to afford it. In most wine drinking countries like Italy, France or Greece, it is pretty acceptable to have tap water with your wine. With other drinks, it is not. Don't even try asking for tap water if you are not ordering something else, that is regarded as cheap and they will make you order bottled water. Restaurants in Europe make money on drinks, and hardly on the food.

Is tap water OK to drink in Venice?

Like Cynthia already said, the water is very good in any EU-country.

The tap water in Rome is some of the best in the world. Yes, in restaurants they do want you to buy bottled water, but if you specify "tap water" most restaurants will bring it to you. Look for the fire hydrant looking spigots in the middle of the piazzas and fill your personal water bottles there. The water comes from the mountains and is so clean, you'll even notice the difference when you shower. So, don't be afraid, drink up.

is this true???

Archived