I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

I have nothing to add, but we're almost neighbors :D I live in Cobb.

At the time I was actually living in California and was consulting for a company with a plant in Carrollton (a bit of a commute). Since then, I have become more "neighborly" by relocating to Alpharetta for a new job. :D

Dave

I'm so sorry I've been away for a bit! I've been meaning to address your kind words and advice, but I just haven't had the time! Beautiful pictures lately, everyone! The aerial shot of the Cayman's in particular is fantastic...

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thank you so much, Dave, for taking the time to offer so much information and advice!! I really appreciate it!

Taffy12:

Bridal bouquet? (Had to ask, looks like my wife's sitting on the mantle)

I think your off and running. The Baby's Breath looks pretty neat, IMO.

Thanks! No bridal bouquet though - just dead flowers.

Now to share some new photos, taken yesterday. I still have a ton to learn but I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of the basics!

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1225C.jpg

IMG_1226B.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg?t=1330404424

On this one, I can see that the focus us on the tip of her nose rather than the eyes - so now I know what to do next time! And she's a little blue thanks to the light from a computer screen:

IMG_1300B.jpg

I think I'm most proud of this one. It's a little soft, but I love the lines:

IMG_0999C.jpg

The kitty is still neat - always amazes me how the eye follows the focus - maybe it just means what it smells is more important than what it is seeing.

I really like the metal grates/water. The lighting, the ripples - man, that is a nice catch.

Thanks for sharing.

The kitty is still neat - always amazes me how the eye follows the focus - maybe it just means what it smells is more important than what it is seeing.

I really like the metal grates/water. The lighting, the ripples - man, that is a nice catch.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much!

Testing out the sigma 30mm f1.4.

ceara002-X2.jpg

MG8416smug-XL.jpg

Those are stunning! I especially love the one with the candle!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I'm glad you like the pic.

FL Naturelover, I shot this using a macro lens. I'm sure you can achieve similar result with a regular lens however you might do some extensive cropping. It usually depends on the minimum focusing distance of the lens.

For the composition, it's just a matter of finding the correct position to get the flower reflection on the water drops. Hope this helps. Cheers

As I mentioned above, I got tired of lugging a DSLR around while chasing a 6 year old, so I finally got a chance to use my new pocket P&S. Not great, but much easier to use. After all, the best camera is one I use, right?

Considering the light, and the 3200 ISO on the first, I am a little impressed.

6956295661_fc0bc0b10b_z_d.jpg

6810183356_09ac217dea_z_d.jpg

As I mentioned above, I got tired of lugging a DSLR around while chasing a 6 year old, so I finally got a chance to use my new pocket P&S. Not great, but much easier to use. After all, the best camera is one I use, right?

Considering the light, and the 3200 ISO on the first, I am a little impressed.

6956295661_fc0bc0b10b_z_d.jpg

6810183356_09ac217dea_z_d.jpg

3200 ISO with a P&S? I'm impressed!

3200 ISO with a P&S? I'm impressed!

The Panasonic ZS8 (I chose an older model because according to reviews, the picture quality drops on later ZS models) has a high sensitivity mode that ups the ISO to 3200 and drops the MP to 3, which IMO, is still better than using the flash. I couldnt use the flash for that picture, regardless because of the glass.

Wow, I have been away for a month, nicely enough on a cruise (photos to come). It seems like the quality of the photography being shown here has increased dramatically in that month. Nice photos everyone!!

Larry