Reasonably priced hotel in Venice pre-cruise

ais1951

Im looking for a hotel just for one night before my cruise. I would like it to be easily accessable to the cruise ship . It doesnt have to be right in Venice but with all the luggage to manage a taxi would probably be better than using the vaperettos. Any suggestions would be greatly appreiated.

Thanks.

Im looking for a hotel just for one night before my cruise. I would like it to be easily accessable to the cruise ship . It doesnt have to be right in Venice but with all the luggage to manage a taxi would probably be better than using the vaperettos. Any suggestions would be greatly appreiated.

Thanks.

One hotel to consider would be the Santa Chiara: http://www.hotelsantachiara.it/en/

It's right at P. Roma so when you need to get to your ship the next day you would have easy access to a taxi or you could use the recently-opened People Mover to get to the cruise terminal.

I'm sure others here will have suggestions for you, too.

Have a wonderful cruise!:)

Be forewarned, there are three potential issues:

1) Nothing in Venice is reasonably priced. Throw your idea of reasonable out the window (or add about 100 euro to it, at a minimum).

2) Many hotels do not like to sell a room for one night only, so that might be an issue at some properties.

3) Convenience is definitely something to consider, as you say, with luggage.

I agree with the previous poster that your best bet will probably be Piazzale Roma hotels. I haven't stayed at any, so I can't really recommend one myself, but I have heard Antiche Figure recommended often here.

We actually stayed at a Best Western that was steps away from St Marks Square when we were in Venice overnight. They didn't have an issue with booking one night, however, we did have to take a water taxi from the port over to the other side, and then wheel our luggage through St Mark's, probably about a 5-10 minute walk from the drop off point.

The hotel was alright...nothing to write home about, but adequate for a 1 night stay. Typical hard beds you find in Europe. The staff wasn't all that helpful, but we weren't really being picky for 1 night. The name was Best Western Cavalletto E Doge Orseolo

Else, if you choose to pony up the Euro, you can be taken right to their door via the canal, as the hotel has a dock along the canal.

We are staying near Piazza Roma in Olimpia for under 100E. The new people mover will get you to the ship from P. R. according to recent posts. Convenient for us as we disembark in Venice & staying for a day before catching bus the next morning from P.R. to the airport.

We stayed at Best western Olimpia pre cruise for a couple of nights and also a hotel just across the causeway which was a lot cheaper ( can't remember its name) but I found on trip advisor. They ran a minibus into Venice regularly which we bought tickets for. We went to this hotel from the ship at about 8am and were allowed straight into our room which was great .Although cheaper we prefered to stay on the Island as obviously more choices/ things to do etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Have you considered staying in Mestre, a suburb of Venice? In 2006 we stayed at the Best Western Hotel Bologna for considerably less than hotels in Venice proper. I am now researching hotels there for a post cruise stay in April 2011 - the Hotel Bologna's prices have increased a lot because it's recently been renovated so am likely to go with either the Hotel Tritone or Hotel Plaza.

The Airport bus takes 17 minutes (I'm told) and stops right outside many hotels on Viale Stazione - right across from the train station. You'll find the Hotel Tritone, Hotel Plaza, and Best Western Hotel Bologna, among others, there.

Mestre is well connected to Venice by both the train and buses (#2 bus) which travel every 10-15 minutes. Cost of the train is 1 Euro pp each way, and the bus is 1.10 Euro pp each way. Or you can buy a 2 or 3-day travel pass that is valid for both the bus and water buses in Venice.

Hope this helps.

Bev

Locanda di Orsaria, 115 euros per night in the summer. Near train station and Piazzale Roma, steps from the Grand Canal. My daughter liked it a lot. AC and free breakfast.

You might want to check out a small hotel called Ca Doge (this hotel does not have an elevator...but it is cute). It is located right on a corner of the P. Roma and a very short walk from the new people mover that can take you to the port and is also near the free port shuttle buses (only run for certain cruise lines). Another nice advantage of staying in the Piazale Roma is that you can get there cheaply from the airport by simply using the airport bus. We generally prefer to use Venere.com for booking these type of hotels since its a major European booking site that sometimes has lower prices. And by the way, we are not big fans of Mestre and can never understand why anyone would want to stay all the way out in that area. If you have a night in Venice, spend it in Venice!

Hank

Archived