Juneau-shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier? Info Please.

Finally Going!

I have read some posts along the line of people taking a shuttle to the glacier from the pier or downtown. Supposedly this shuttle runs every 20 or 30 minutes...maybe every hour? Can anyone give me more info on this? We want to visit the glacier, but want to do it "on our time" without the constraints of a tour group. Any info will be greatly appreciated. :)

We went on a whale watch that dropped us off at Mendenhall Glacier afterward. We could have spent 30 minutes there and they would have taken us back into town but we decided to spend more time there and so we took the bus back into town. I think it runs about every 30 minutes. You can buy passes in town before hand or just pay and walk up to the bus. It is a blue bus and it is $7 per person each way or $14 per person total roundtrip.

There are some great trails to walk along there and be sure to stop in the visitors center too. There is a trail that takes you to the waterfall right next to the glacier. It was raining when we were there and we had already taken another trail so we didn't go down the trail to the waterfall but I heard it is really nice.

Be sure to take the trail near Steep Creek as from what I've heard there are lots of bears that live around there and like to come out when the salmon is running. You'll have a better chance of seeing bears there than when we were there. Just remember that even though the bears seem oblivious to you that they are wild animals.

I have read some posts along the line of people taking a shuttle to the glacier from the pier or downtown. Supposedly this shuttle runs every 20 or 30 minutes...maybe every hour? Can anyone give me more info on this? We want to visit the glacier, but want to do it "on our time" without the constraints of a tour group. Any info will be greatly appreciated. :)

Is this the one? Blue Glacier Express at $14 RT http://www.mightygreattrips.com/se_alaska_shore_excursions.htm

You can book your bus trip with the Blue Bus through mgttrips at:

http://mightygreattrips.com/se_alaska_shore_excursions.htm

The following are e-mails from MGT based on my request:

The cost is $14.00 /person RT ,the bus runs every 30 min - 9am to 6pm, it does drop you off at the park information center, If you want to save time you might buy your tickets in advance ,so you do have to wait in line purchasing your tickets.

Yes go to our website and click on the order form in the upper left hand corner, complete the form and email it back to us. You will have your tickets in 1-2 business days.

There are also threads out here about a new trail that is being built. Use the search function to find them. Hope this helps!

Yes, you can catch the shuttle by the pier near the base of the tram. The vendors have booths there where they sell the tickets, so there is really no need to buy them in advance.

A round trip bus ticket to Mendenhall Glacier costs the same as 2 one-way tickets. They always try to sell us round-trip tickets.

The first time we ever went out there, years ago, we bought round trip tickets for the blue bus. We had a very long wait for the return bus, which did not show up at its scheduled time. (We later heard that it had mechanical problems.)

Other buses kept coming around and picking up passengers, but the drivers would not accept our return tickets saying they were only good for the company that sold them to us. They were very willing to take us back, however, if we paid them the one-way fare.

We learned our lesson. Since then, when we go out to Mendenhall Glacier we only buy one-way tickets. This way, whenever we are ready to leave we can jump on whichever bus comes along first and don't have to wait for the bus of any one particular company. If two buses show up at the same time, we take the less crowded one.

Does the MGT bus drop you off right at the visitor's center? I thought I read in one of the threads that one bus drops off a distance away.
The MGT bus, as well as the other commercial buses, drop you off in the parking lot right below the visitor center.

It is the city bus that drops passengers off about a mile away.

Yes, you can catch the shuttle by the pier near the base of the tram. The vendors have booths there where they sell the tickets, so there is really no need to buy them in advance.

A round trip bus ticket to Mendenhall Glacier costs the same as 2 one-way tickets. They always try to sell us round-trip tickets.

The first time we ever went out there, years ago, we bought round trip tickets for the blue bus. We had a very long wait for the return bus, which did not show up at its scheduled time. (We later heard that it had mechanical problems.)

Other buses kept coming around and picking up passengers, but the drivers would not accept our return tickets saying they were only good for the company that sold them to us. They were very willing to take us back, however, if we paid them the one-way fare.

We learned our lesson. Since then, when we go out to Mendenhall Glacier we only buy one-way tickets. This way, whenever we are ready to leave we can jump on whichever bus comes along first and don't have to wait for the bus of any one particular company. If two buses show up at the same time, we take the less crowded one.

Does the MGT bus drop you off right at the visitor's center? I thought I read in one of the threads that one bus drops off a distance away.
The MGT bus, as well as the other commercial buses, drop you off in the parking lot right below the visitor center.

Thanks for telling us about the one-way vs. RT tickets. So would you recommend reserving a one-way ticket out there (paid in advance) and then just buy your return ticket on the bus itself? It sounds like there's more than one company offering buses?

As for bus pick-up, the gentleman I spoke to said that NCL Star will dock about a mile outside of town. So one can't get the blue bus right at the pier. They said to take the cruise ship shuttle into Juneau and then board the bus from there. They recommended reserving the ticket online in advance to save time waiting in line in Juneau, especially with a very limited port call (morning only).

Just for safety, if the bus doesn't come and it's time to get back to the pier, about how much would a taxi cost? There are 4 people so the bus would be $28.

Thanks!

ANother Blue Bus question: do the buses leave on the half hour? We have a helicopter tour in the morning and plan on doing Mendenhall in the afternoon. Would like to time leaving the ship correctly to get to the bus as opposed to missing it by 5 minutes.

thanks,

Melissa

Just for safety' date=' if the bus doesn't come and it's time to get back to the pier, about how much would a taxi cost? There are 4 people so the bus would be $28.

Thanks![/quote']

Four people would be $56. Unless you don't want to get come back. :D

Check the traveljuneau.com's site for taxi companies. I think it would be roughly comparable, price-wise. They'll try to talk you into a 'tour' rate, so decide if you want that or to be dropped off, then call them to be picked up, or if you want their 'tour.'

ANother Blue Bus question: do the buses leave on the half hour? We have a helicopter tour in the morning and plan on doing Mendenhall in the afternoon. Would like to time leaving the ship correctly to get to the bus as opposed to missing it by 5 minutes.

thanks,

Melissa

The time is not always "strict", they can load until full and go. I've seen buses pull up one behind the other. This was a recent observation in June.

Archived