Bummer!! :(

So...

We are on the first leg of our trip. At our condo in Naples, FL. On Monday, we drive down to Port Everglades to catch RCI's Grandeur of the Seas for a five night cruise. TOTALLY pumped!

Anyway, I've been coming down here 3 or 4 times a year since I can remember...and have always ALWAYS loved the beach. So...yesterday, go to the beach all day, end it with the pool. Had on 50 SPF SUNTAN LOTION! Take my suit off, I'm a little tan. Now I never EVER tan, so I am very satisfied seeing my skin a browner color than normal.

Go back out to today to the beach for most of the day, then to the pool...and apparently never noticed how bad I was burning.

Come back in, shower, go through the day, until tonight when I feel the pain building up.

And now...it.is.excruciating. For some reason, I can't use the Aloe gel...but can use the lotion that has aloe (the aftersunning lotion). My mom has been putting it on my back and shoulders all night. It hurts to stretch. To move. To even sit down and my back against the back of the chair. Again, I had 50 S0SPF SUNTAN LOTION!

Now the next two days here before the cruise are going to be spent indoors. I could live outside on the beach if that was possible so it is killing me looking out the window, seeing the water and sand, and not be able to just run in :( But I want my sunburn as healed as possible before the cruise so I can enjoy seven mile beach at Grand Cayman :D

ugh ugh ugh...sorry, had to vent :( I'm bummed, but also excited for the cruise :D

-A very painful Melissa

Ouch!!!! SO sorry to hear that! There is something about that Florida sun. Worst burn if my life, WITH SUNSCREEN on, happened to me in Florida. Had blisters all over my chest and shoulders. Hope you are spared that! Try taking an anti-inflamitory if you can. That will reduce both the pain and the swelling from the burn. Feel better fast, and happy cruising!

Ouch!!!! SO sorry to hear that! There is something about that Florida sun. Worst burn if my life, WITH SUNSCREEN on, happened to me in Florida. Had blisters all over my chest and shoulders. Hope you are spared that! Try taking an anti-inflamitory if you can. That will reduce both the pain and the swelling from the burn. Feel better fast, and happy cruising!

It's just weird...cuz I have been all over the Carribean and cruised several times and never once got sunburned, but the last three years that I've come down to stay in Florida...it ever fails. I made sure I slathered on that 50spf too. My fiance told me to try putting it on every hour and see if that helps. No blisters yet. Last year, I ended up with blisters on my head from a sunburn (the part lol)...I don't think I ever experienced as much pain as I had when I had to brush my hair :eek: Right now it's all down my back, ad all up my shoulders. My face is a little stiff, I am red as a lobster. I rock that red lobster look :D Wanna go to the beach tomorrow, so bad...but afraid to make it worse and then be miserable and pain on my cruise :(

It's just weird...cuz I have been all over the Carribean and cruised several times and never once got sunburned, but the last three years that I've come down to stay in Florida...it ever fails. I made sure I slathered on that 50spf too. My fiance told me to try putting it on every hour and see if that helps. No blisters yet. Last year, I ended up with blisters on my head from a sunburn (the part lol)...I don't think I ever experienced as much pain as I had when I had to brush my hair :eek: Right now it's all down my back, ad all up my shoulders. My face is a little stiff, I am red as a lobster. I rock that red lobster look :D Wanna go to the beach tomorrow, so bad...but afraid to make it worse and then be miserable and pain on my cruise :(

Sounds like you might have sun poisoning, got it a few years ago myself and I am olive skinned Italian so never burned. Stay inside and watch your sun exposure. did you check the expiration date on the lotion maybe it is bad.

take a bath in tea bags, lots of tea bags. It will take some of the burn out for you. Agree do not go in the sun, keep yourself covered.

any signs of oil on the beach?

I hope you feel better. I have a very bad burn 1 year in Aruba. After the burn the salt water burned, so be careful.

Do NOT go out in the sun....it takes weeks to recover from a bad burn. Good luck...and lesson learned!

Weeks? Years. I was Caucasian when I joined the Navy and went to Florida for boot camp. That was over 20 years ago. Talk about fatal:D

Just trying cheer you up. I hope I have in some small way;)

I hope you are all healed by cruise time.

Even if the expiration date is good, you have to shake the bottle up before using.

Are you taking birth control, or any other meds that could cause you to burn more than usual? That's happened to me when I was on an antibiotic.

Cheer up and look ahead to Monday. I would go out in the sun until Tuesday, and then stay covered up. :)

bionicman97 - What does dermoplast do?

dermoplast is a 20% benzocaine spray used to numb the skin..(so removes the discomfort)

In addition take a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug such as Ibuprofen or aspirin that will help bring the swelling down. If the discomfort worsens go see a doc or the local pharmacist and they can make some more specific suggestions.

For sunscreens.. apply before you go out and reapply often (spf's beyond 30 do not do anybetter..you still need to reapply them)

Hope you get feeling better and can enjoy our hot florida weather

Rick

Ouch! I agree - check your expiration dates. I would suggest you invest in a rash guard or swim shirt to take on your cruise. This will protect you a little more from the sun. Hope you feel better!

I agree with the above, a rash guard would be great. You can usually get one in a sporting goods store. They are shirts that have SPF in the material. It would be additional protection if you plan on doing any snorkeling or water activities. Good Luck!

My mother ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks after falling asleep on the beach in Miami once.

I use Neutragena SPF 100 or 110. I am sunburn magnet, and never even get pink with this stuff on. It's at CVS, Rite Aide, Walgreen's, etc.

To answer questions:

No oil on the beach yet! In fact, just last night, I saw the most perfect gorgeous sunset EVER. I love LOVE the beach so I was there in the morning/afternoon, and headed right back after dinner and caught it. There were people CLAPPING after it set...never had I seen that before. It will be absolutely devastating to have something so beautiful taken away because of a disaster and a mess such as this :mad:

Yes, I am on Yaz (not for the reason a lot of people go on it :p Believe it or not, fiance and I are VERY old fashioned :D)...I didn't know that could affect your ability to burn in the sun? My mom went out and bought a sunscreen by Neutrogenia that has something called "Helioplex" in it? A doctor told her to use it when she had gotten a horrible burn a few years back. So that will be going on the cruise with me :)

My mom thinks I'll try anything to go to the beach tomorrow, so instead of leaving me at home being bored in the condo, we're going out to lunch and shopping :D Even at 27, I'm still a mama's girl who loves days out with her! :D

And I am definately and excitedly counting down the days till Monday!

Sorry to hear that. My fair-skinned wife got an awful burn one year in Barbados, and it really put a damper on the rest of our cruise.

Since then, we started using UV Monitor wristbands. You can find them online under the "Solar Safe" and "UVSunSense" brands. They're disposable wristbands that you put on before you apply your sunscreen. When you apply the sunscreen, you make sure to slather the wristband with it as well.

As it absorbs UV rays, it turns color. When it reaches the first major color change, it's time to reapply your sunscreen. When it reaches the final color change, it's time to get out of the sun.

Too late to help you now, unfortunately, but may be useful for others.

Just wanted to add my support and concern. Was also going to mention the expiration date.... people tend to bring out the bottles that have been lying around from year to year.... keep moisturising the skin now if you can and I would recommend homeopathic remedies to support healing.

Weeks? Years. I was Caucasian when I joined the Navy and went to Florida for boot camp. That was over 20 years ago. Talk about fatal:D

Alright....you owe me a new keyboard.:p

ROTFLMBO - Best post of the week! Thanks OnYourToes - I needed a good laugh this morning.

To the OP - Like others mentioned - You might have been taking some medications the first time you burned. Like many others on here I'm a burn magnet also. And I know how awful a burned scalp can feel. After the first time burning and probably some sun poisoning - you will always have problems with the sun.

When younger I played out doors in the south all summer. One good case of sun poisoning and it has been sun screen the rest of my life. GOod luck with the cruise and I'd like to thank the other posters for some good tips - especially about Dermaplast.

Apparantly plain natural yoghurt smothered over the affected area , leave on for 10 to 15 minutes and then cool shower off , your sunburn will be cured , you will also get a lovely cooling feeling while the yoghurt is applied , i would be trying all these remedies as theres nothing worse than sunburn , hope you feel better real soon .

So sorry this happened to you. Comes under the category of "lessons learned." Stay out of the sun for several days, and if you can tolerate it, take Advil (ibuprofen), 2 tablets every 4 hours (not on an empty stomach), as the anti-inflammatory properties in the ibuprofen will help with the discomfort.

I hope you feel better and have a great cruise!

When I was younger and got sunburned I would buy Noxema which is a facial cream but medicated and smells awful but it really relieved my sunburn pain. I would even put it in the fridge to get cold then apply to the burn.

Good luck!

So sorry to hear that your vacation started off that way!!! There are soo many things that can make sunburn happen faster. Birth control, other meds, lots of things.

I've found that simply putting ice on it helps a lot. Also, I put the aloe in the fridge and that coolness feels really good.

And while you're out shopping, just stock up on more sunscreen and maybe a good wide brimmed hat. Unfortunately my mom died of skin cancer, so I read a lot about this stuff. You don't need anything more than 30 SPF---you just need to make sure you're putting enough on (at least a shot glass full) and putting it on often enough (every few hours and/or after swimming).

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and make sure you cover up! Lesson learned, but not the end of the world!

Archived